It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CB&Q 5632 Question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:04 am 

These are very important images. Thank you for sharing them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:16 pm 

Aside from some sprucing up of the front of 4963, and replacing the headlight, it does not appear much different today than it did in these pictures nearly 50 years ago.

John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:09 pm 

So when exactly was 5632 scrapped?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:26 pm 

MJV1988 wrote:
So when exactly was 5632 scrapped?

My records show that 5632 was scrapped sometime between 1971 and 1976.

TD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:12 pm 

Steamlocomotive .com has the whole ugly, disgusting story.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:44 pm 

Back about that time I had a love affair of the CB&Q #4960 and was intrigued that the sister #4963 existed. Heard she had been used to an extent as a parts source for the #4960 later on in life. Does anybody know what her condition was at the time? Guess it is a mute point to even ask but I have always wondered. Maybe she was retired specifically as a parts source? Neat pictures of the roundhouse that I never made it to. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:20 am 

John -

The 4963 ended its active career as the last of a rather nice string of Burlington engines leased to the Bevier & Southern. I have a photo of her hanging on the wall in my computer room working hard while leading a string of hoppers while in service for the B&S. I am not sure when the lease to the B&S ended, but my thinking is that there were enough inactive CB&Q Mikes around for parts, that they didn't need to take them off of the 4963. But, it was getting late in the steam "game", so perhaps you are right!

Les

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:35 am 

Ziel's "Twilight of Steam" shows 4963 working freight around 1962. I always wondered why she wasn't kept in steam, by CB&Q or successor owners. At the time of that publication, there were lines of CB&Q "mikes" at N.W. Steel & Wire, plus a couple of abandoned stationary boilers, and a new boiler derelict on flat car!

With 4960 heavily modified today, but occasionally running, it might be nice to know what it would take to restore another "Q" locomotive, or at least an inventory of what it would take, beside a full 1472 tear down.

I find it amazing that a man like Jensen could have amassed such a huge inventory of steam power during the last of the 1960's - early 70's.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:41 am 

I dont want to hijack this thread too much, but I do have some info on 4963. There was a companion vinyl album to Twilight of Steam which included a track of 4963 on the B&S. Here it is on YouTube, with a picture of her on the B&S as well.
https://youtu.be/kKU1XLIr9tI

I know she's missing a few parts, and in the words of one IRM Steam Shop member, "the running gear is not new." I'm pretty sure one of the missing parts is a radius rod, but I may be wrong about that. The appliances are there, which is a start! I would guess that most would need some work after sitting around for so long. But the boiler appeas to be in good shape from what we can tell (no UT data that I know of, so take the statement for what it is). She's actually got a smaller firebox than 1630 does, although she's still bigger than we "need." With that said, she's not a priority for the shop right now, nor likely to be in the near future.

Time will tell. But, as it does in so many cases, money talks!

Christian Ellis
IRM Steam Team

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:41 pm 

Thanks for the info on #4963. Didn't have the slightest thought that she would be on anybodies radar for running restoration nor do I see a need for anybody to do so. But was curious about condition and appreciate your comments and I know very little about her history to begin with. Kind of like the CB&Q look which I thought was very distinctive. Again thank you. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:03 am 

I appreciate the discussion but if we're doing to pull some "Q" steam out of the barn let's also shoot for one of the S-4 class Hudsons. IRM already has one "in house" and has been alluded to before they need a little more running room that IRM has now. The one in Galesburg is within spitting distance of the BNSF main. There are several of them available for parts if necessary. 100 mph steam all day long in their day.
Now where did I put that Lotto ticket?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:21 am 

This could be the kind of thing BNSF might consider offering some sponsorship towards, give the understanding they are not in the steam tour business. BNSF is progressive and occasionally hosts guest steam. Of course, it will be pointed out that I am only wishing, but looking at what NS has done with VMT, you get the idea.
In my opinion, it's great community publicity, it could be a huge tax write-off, it promotes company heritage, and the locomotive could run over high-speed track all day long, as it was designed to do.

I always have the winning numbers on my lottery ticket, but the damned state never gets them right. Go figure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:07 am 

The Hudson is a crew favorite at IRM, and only has about 2600 miles on its running gear since it's last rebuild by the Q. But shes had her asbestos jacket on for a long time. It's likely the boiler would need major work. No, it's not impossible by any means, but as you all know, boilers require cubic dollars to repair. And cubic dollars could restore two smaller engines for operation at the museum, or go a long way to our long term goal of a roundhouse and turntable.

They keep misprinting my lotto tickets too.

Christian Ellis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:05 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
This could be the kind of thing BNSF might consider offering some sponsorship towards, give the understanding they are not in the steam tour business. BNSF is progressive and occasionally hosts guest steam. Of course, it will be pointed out that I am only wishing, but looking at what NS has done with VMT, you get the idea.
In my opinion, it's great community publicity, it could be a huge tax write-off, it promotes company heritage, and the locomotive could run over high-speed track all day long, as it was designed to do.

I always have the winning numbers on my lottery ticket, but the damned state never gets them right. Go figure.

Richard, BNSF has shown more than passing interest in AT&SF 2926 in Albuquerque. Every year they bring down a diesel to be displayed with her at the open house, helped move her to her restoration site and donated money and materials to her restoration. if any engine were to become an ambassador for the BNSF, my money would be on this one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:27 pm 

AT&SF 2926 should get that kind of assistance, but further north, a CB&Q Hudson would be exquisite. If a private owner does the work and pays the insurance, etc., etc. it would behoove BNSF to show similar interest.
Of course, I don't make policy of any kind and until I'm appointed "Supreme Dictator for Life", we'll just have allow private corporations to figure these things out.