It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Southern Pacific 4460 Restoration
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:34 am 

The 4460 as most who read this already know is not in the best of conditions in St. Louis and I am aware that this topic has already been discussed many times in the past, but I am convinced that if enough skill, determination, time, and money were put towards 4460 that we will be able to see it return to steam.
Personally it has always been a dream of mine to see one of the Southern Pacific's "Bullet nose trio" (GS 2,3, and 6) steam again, and considering the 4460 is the last surviving, that puts it at the top of the list.
Even if the GS-6 isn't one of the glorified daylights, it really isn't that far off, fabricate some skirts, throw on some pretty paint and 95% of the population wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 4460 and a GS-2, as well as the fact that if smoke lifters were placed along the smoke box it could masquerade as one of The Western Pacific's 64s.
What I'm trying to put forward to anyone that will listen is that nothing will be done until it is done, the 4460 will steam again if we make it, so if anyone is as willing as i am, or just is willing to support this cause please put forth your interest and let this be a start to one of the greatest steam restorations of our age.

Post subject: Re: Southern Pacific 4460 Restoration
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:09 am 

As always the questions that need answering are the following-

1)Where will it operate,
2)Who will pay for it,
3)Is the current owner even interested in the restoration and operation of its artifacts, 4)Where could the locomotive call home

Is it a good looking locomotive? - Yes, Yes it is; but it doesn't need to be another harebrained project that WILL take away from the funding and limited pool of goodwill that other - more well established projects are desperately in need of.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:40 am 

You can search these archives for many, many similar discussions. It is like a needle stuck in a vinyl record groove.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:20 am 

Hi,

A number of years ago I was invited into the cab of 4460 by a museum volunteer and I brought up the topic of possible restoration. He said the museum doesn't want to restore it because "there's already another Daylight running". In other words, they won't even think about restoration unless 4449 somehow becomes inoperable and is retired.

Thomas Dyrek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:21 am 

Big Steam Lad, a few questions.

1) Have you ever put in any time in a steam locomotive restoration effort? Real effort. Greasy, dirty, busted knuckles working on either an operational loco or one on static display?

2) How much money do you have at this point to commit to such a project?

3) what skills do you have to lend to this project?

4) Are you willing to put your personal life on the back burner and devote the totality of your existence to seeing this through to completion? For as long as it takes?

5) Who are you? Are you a "known quantity" in the rail preservation community? Because at this point who you are and your reputation is the only thing you have to convince others to follow.

I'm sorry but I no longer have any patience for the "foamer of the day" coming along proposing that "we" restore this loco or that loco, only to find that it is some kid who has never touched a wrench or had dirt under his fingernails who is proposing it. Since this is your idea, you are asking people to believe in you as much as believe in the project. People don't generally lend support unless they know the people in charge have the abilities to follow through on their promises.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:30 am 

We're all being grumpy, but I am sure St. Louis has plenty of tasks to keep you busy, and I hope what we say doesn't chase you away from other opportunities.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:49 am 

I don't think the Museum of Transportation is interested in any steam restoration other than cosmetically. Their resources are slim, the whole environment there has changed since St Louis Country is passing it along to the Transport Museum Association and they have other plans for their money.
For other views, read the above post by Rick Rowlands. Pretty well covers it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:14 am 

About a month ago, a fellow said to me and a group of others at a museum function, "Somebody should put a coat of paint on that engine!" I looked him square in the eye and replied, "You're somebody. Have a ball." Have not seen him since.....

Last edited by G. W. Laepple on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:16 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
G. W. Laepple wrote:
About a month ago, a fellow said to me and a group of others at a museum function, "Somebody should put a coat of [paint] on that engine!" I looked him square in the eye and replied, "You're somebody. Have a ball." Have not seen him since.....

Or, even worse, they come back unannounced and start slapping house paint on it......... latex, the wrong shade, with no primer or prep.........

More typically, though, it's vandalism that some pretend is "art," applied with a spray can.....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:33 pm 

If you want to restore a steam locomotive to run, first you must create the situation that requires it be restored to run. Then, you must raise the funding to do it. The rest is just craftsmanship....... the easiest part.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:06 pm 

Dave wrote:
If you want to restore a steam locomotive to run, first you must create the situation that requires it be restored to run. Then, you must raise the funding to do it. The rest is just craftsmanship....... the easiest part.

Dave,

What a great case statement. Would you accept a friendly amendment: If you want to restore a [steam] locomotive or streetcar to run....

Wesley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:50 pm 

Absolutely, Wes - doing that in Belmont right now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:53 pm 

I believe we are being trolled. New member, first post.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:21 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
I believe we are being trolled. New member, first post.

Trolled? Maybe not. At least he shows interest in preservation so give the guy a chance. You never know when you can convince a newbie to join a group, that getting filthy and working on something huge and old-tech is actually fun. We all had to start somewhere....

That's my two cents, for what it's worth (like maybe a penny) so I'm getting down of my little tiny soapbox now....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:56 pm 

No way to kill off the enthusiasm for our beloved railroad heritage and youth encouragement, like this thread.

It was a n innocent question from a novice, not a declaration of revolution.

St. Louis has a number of prime candidate for restoration to operation. They even have one that is all but ready to run again. Some points that were spoken about, but could be gelled into a short set of rules:

1) The owner(s) have to want to see their property removed, disassembled, and competently rebuilt.
2) A railroad has to want to allow you access to track.
3) Funding is a tough nut to crack, then there is legal and insurance. Very expensive.
4) You need to be willing to see it through.
5) Rebuilding a piece of precision, heavy, moving, equipment isn't like rebuilding an old farm truck.

That being said, you can make yourself a part of the first tier of restoration by oiling and greasing all the moving parts, keeping it painted and clean of rust, replacing broken glass, removing hornet nests, bird nests, and Slurpee cups. Clean cinders out of the smokebox with a shovel and then a vacuum. Eventually, you may get on a journal polishing detail. You will get filthy. Attach yourself to the fate of that locomotive, and maybe, just maybe, you'll be in the position to do more with it.

Your interest speaks well for you.