It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brooks Scanlon Corp. 2-6-2 No. 1 --- Status and/or Plans
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:39 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
Scranton Yard wrote:

When the new stainless tender body was built (I believe Brookville), there was an issue with the way it was constructed - stoker cavity too short? Was this ever corrected? Did the park receive any compensation from the contractor? Did they provide the wrong specs?

The error was corrected. Incorrect information provided to the contractor.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:18 pm 

Bruce, I know there are differences between the tender frames for 3254/3377 (and that the new SS body is sitting on the tender frame for 3377), but will the SS body that was originally built for 3254 actually fit and function on 3377's tender frame without modification?

I assume that's the direction, long term, that we are heading in.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:24 am 

With apologies for missing the need to address this when posted:

"alternate route would be to speak with their non-profit arm, the Iron Horse Society, and ask if you can make a donation specifically for the care of BSC #1"

The short answer is "No".

Now for the answer: When we signed our Friends Agreement over Railfest in September; there was a list of identified projects for 2018.

The way we are going to work is to raise money for things that the Superintendent and her staff identify as priorities. We will generally not accept donations with donor-imposed restrictions that don't conform to existing park priorities, unless it's something completely outside the realm of possibility.

Certainly, if somebody were to approach us with serious money to accomplish-in the entirety-something like restore CP 2317 or acquire something; then we would have to call the Superintendent-but we wouldn't be cashing the check until and unless the donor-imposed restriction could be honored. Otherwise, we would ask the donor if they would consider removing the restriction and if it was a take or leave it deal; then we've have to return the donation.

This is of course hypothetical. I fully expect to see commercially feasible cold fusion and flying pigs before somebody calls us with a proposed seven-figure donation to restore some engine they have particular affection for.

The stated "equipment related" priority for 2018 is to raise a relatively modest amount of money for visiting equipment for Railfest 2018.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:34 am 

superheater wrote:
The way we are going to work is to raise money for things that the Superintendent and her staff identify as priorities. We will generally not accept donations with donor-imposed restrictions that don't conform to existing park priorities, unless it's something completely outside the realm of possibility.

Makes sense. While you could generate some additional funds by allowing donors to dictate terms, it also limits you on the tail end by carving up any available money.

Quote:
The stated "equipment related" priority for 2018 is to raise a relatively modest amount of money for visiting equipment for Railfest 2018.

I think I know which equipment...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:33 pm 

If its not part of the existing amusement ride or has had millions of undocumented dollars squandered on it is not part of the plan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:40 pm 

"If its not part of the existing amusement ride or has had millions of undocumented dollars squandered on it is not part of the plan."

Here we go again....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:01 pm 

truth hurts sometimes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:12 pm 

I'm sorry I apologize I keep forgetting Steamtown is not a museum, therefor they don"t have to do any preservation. Note I didn't say restoration.
And for the record I have absolutely nothing against the rides. My issue is that it seems that the are the entire focus and the rest of the collection be dammed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:13 pm 

So, you have some grievance that's unrelated to this thread and decided to indulge it a bit?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:37 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
Bruce, I know there are differences between the tender frames for 3254/3377 (and that the new SS body is sitting on the tender frame for 3377), but will the SS body that was originally built for 3254 actually fit and function on 3377's tender frame without modification?

I assume that's the direction, long term, that we are heading in.
Thanks

The tender frames are the same above the wood deck. The biggest difference is the dual drawbar type on the 3377 verses the single drawbar and safety chains on the 3254. Other than that, the frames are nearly identical.

The SS tank on hand was a big factor in deciding to rebuild the 3377.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:20 am 

I apologize to Cody for hijacking the thread. But what I said has everything to do with this thread. This locomotive like most pieces there will receive little no attention and be left to rot. Preservation is last on the list here unless its connected directly to the ride. Take lots of pictures while you can before nothing is left.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:56 am 

"I apologize to Cody for hijacking the thread. But what I said has everything to do with this thread. This locomotive like most pieces there will receive little no attention and be left to rot. Preservation is last on the list here unless its connected directly to the ride. Take lots of pictures while you can before nothing is left."

No need to apologize, I don't mind one bit! I got my information from it and then some. As unfortunate as it is, I will probably have to scratch this one off my list. I rather doubt if the NPS will sell it outright. I for sure am not 1) a well organized group, 2) a museum, It would be a personal restoration project. I hope someone puts some care into it before its too late.

Thanks,
Cody Muse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:32 pm 

fixologist61 wrote:
If its not part of the existing amusement ride or has had millions of undocumented dollars squandered on it is not part of the plan.

While there might be some truth to this, I have probably also heard the opposite complaint from railfans as if steamtown doesn't put enough into projects that benefit their excisions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:08 pm 

Today's reality is that budgets have been slashed, and priority investment of what remains must be devoted to what brings in the best return. Rusting junk in a collection of old buildings mixed with new replicas, or a living history experience? Easy call....... and provides an audience and context for the rest of the rusty junk and buildings, which provide more context right back in return. I know of nobody who is capable of fully implementing a full scale, whole mission, compound project at this time. Keeping the doors open and something interesting going on is a victory.

Supe, whenever it is possible, please list priorities your new group can find resources to support there. If there's anybody left who is more interested in making it better than whining, they can choose their favored project to directly support.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:37 pm 

"Priority investment in what remains" is exactly what i"m talking about. There are cars with roofs leaking destroying incredible hand carved wood work. A tarp and a half a day labor is all it would take.

It wouldn't be "rusty junk" with a minimum of work. Everything being used and on display now started as "rusty junk". Are you saying that because we have some preserved that we should just forget about the rest? A lot of those pieces are "one of one" left.

I guess if calling out the obvious is whining, "I am a whiner" and proud. I am also willing to help but there is no direction. So please list the priorities.
Gary