It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cuyahoga Scenic -- Alco's
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:37 am 

News report says Cuyahoga Valley Scenic will upgrade its loco and pass car fleet.

Might mean some Alco parts come available?

No idea what their current diesel roster is. One shows four FPA's, a C420 and C424.

Quote:
The Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad's fleet will get some upgrading, thanks, in part, to a $50,000 donation from the FirstEnergy Foundation, according to a Thursday, Nov. 9, news release.

The railroad, which runs through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, is in the midst of its first capital campaign since it was founded in 1972. The funds will go toward modernizing its locomotives and passenger cars, the release said.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/ ... c-railroad

Post subject: Re: Cuyahoga Scenic -- Alco's
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:10 pm 

$50,000 don't go far when buying loco parts. I think their C-420 already lost it's ALCO heart a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:30 pm 

C420 365 recently returned to service after having been at Ohio Locomotive Works for several years to become a "green" locomotive. Don't think that happened, but I have no idea what kind of a power plant is in it now. I understand it still sounds like an ALCO, though.

FPA4 6767 has never been more than a parts donor on the CVSR. 6771 and 6777 have both had major mechanical and cosmetic work done in the past 18 months and came out in bright, shiny new paint early in the Spring, and are both still running at last report.

C424 4241 was in service, was used as the North end unit for the 765 trips in September.

RS18u 1822 has long been a shop and crew favorite, and is one of the mainstays of the fleet.

I understand that "B&O" #800 is also operable and being used.

I think that's everything active on the roster right now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:12 pm 

What was the railroad that issued a press release about some kind of converted 'green' or 'hybrid' unit that was going to be constructed (ISTR with some kind of university involvement) in a regular locomotive carbody? I remember it as an F40 (that was deaccessioned from preservation in some way to put it up for grabs as a guinea pig)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:14 am 

Off topic, but that is the F40 at the North Carolina Transportation Museum.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40772&hilit=F40

http://www.nctrans.org/Media/Releases/U ... -For-.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:02 pm 

Coincidentally, this photo article showed up this morning on the Akron Railroad Club blog on FPA4 6767. To quote a certain President's tweets, "Sad!"

https://akronrrclub.wordpress.com/2017/11/11/stripped/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 am 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
C420 365 recently returned to service after having been at Ohio Locomotive Works for several years to become a "green" locomotive. Don't think that happened, but I have no idea what kind of a power plant is in it now. I understand it still sounds like an ALCO, though.

FPA4 6767 has never been more than a parts donor on the CVSR. 6771 and 6777 have both had major mechanical and cosmetic work done in the past 18 months and came out in bright, shiny new paint early in the Spring, and are both still running at last report.

C424 4241 was in service, was used as the North end unit for the 765 trips in September.

RS18u 1822 has long been a shop and crew favorite, and is one of the mainstays of the fleet.

I understand that "B&O" #800 is also operable and being used.

I think that's everything active on the roster right now.

365 was indeed converted into a Green Locomotive by OLW. It is no longer an ALCo, and is powered by a 1,500 hp 16 cylinder MTU engine, backed up by a 160 hp John Deere APU.