It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alco S4 on the move (Missouri)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:38 am 

Per a news article, the Abilene and Smoky Valley Railroad is preparing to move a donated Alco S4 in Missouri.
The article also has detailed information on how they will truck the loco.
Abilene Reflector-Chronicle article: http://www.abilene-rc.com/news/local-tr ... 67004.html

From the photo, it appears to be Empire District Electric Company (EDEX) #6.
According to RR Picture Archives, #6 is former Vermont Ry 6, nee C&O 5107:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... ?id=103889

Post subject: Re: Alco S4 on the move (Missouri)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:50 am 

PS. If you want to see an S4 in C&O colors, the Toledo, Lake Erie and Western Ry and Museum has C&O 5109.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:03 am 

So am I reading this correctly, they built their own trailer for this move? I wonder what their plans are for the trailer after the move is complete, I know of a few organizations who have similar situations of "free" locomotives with no practical way to move them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:26 am 

My biggest question would be what this trailer is designed around. Was it built specifically with an S4 in mind, or could it be used for other similar sized locomotives?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:45 am 

Such a "for lease" trailer might have potential as a fund raiser.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:01 pm 

Facebook video of the rig. Not all of us have quite such an impressive scrap pile to work with.

https://www.facebook.com/ASVRR1/videos/10155406222642489/

For those who can't see facebook videos, sucks to be you, no complaining, sorry ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:28 pm 

Depending on the state it could be difficult or near impossible to get that trailer tags and registration, especially home made ones without engineered drawings. I want to see what happens with that axle in the middle of the trailer when the full weight of the loco is on the trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:01 pm 

"I want to see what happens with that axle in the middle of the trailer when the full weight of the loco is on the trailer."

Me too.....

Let's see; we have 6 road axles up front taking 1/3 of the loco weight, 6 axles in the rear taking another 1/3 of the loco weight and ONE axle in the middle taking the last 1/3.....

AND it appears to be hinged in the middle, hope they built the hinge to transfer the load to that middle axle....

Maybe if they drain all the fluids out of the Alco it will help just a bit.... Oh, and pump up those middle tires real good.

I wish them easy travels and hope for no injuries.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:32 pm 

baldwin wrote:
I want to see what happens with that axle in the middle of the trailer when the full weight of the loco is on the trailer.
While I have never seen that particular trailer in person, I am confident that its middle axle is for moving the empty trailer -- the trailer splits in two for loading and unloading. Inserting the "middle axle" component between the split halves of the trailer allows the two halves to pivot, making it easier to position for loading and unloading.
NYCRRson wrote:
Let's see; we have 6 road axles up front taking 1/3 of the loco weight, 6 axles in the rear taking another 1/3 of the loco weight and ONE axle in the middle taking the last 1/3.....

AND it appears to be hinged in the middle, hope they built the hinge to transfer the load to that middle axle....
The hinge is for positioning and moving the two empty halves of the trailer, not for supporting the loaded trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:58 pm 

The Alco could support its self without that center axle even being there. Unless that axle is steerable, it should not even be there.

We have moved railroad cars before with a set of 2 or 3 axles under the rear of the car and only a plate attached to the bottom of the railroad car with a king pin attached to the semi 5th wheel.

The frame of the rail car is strong enough to support the load on the frame, just like the locomotive frame is strong enough to support its load without that center axle.

I have a locomotive that has been only sitting on it end plates for 3 years now and that has not hurt it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:21 pm 

"The hinge is for positioning and moving the two empty halves of the trailer, not for supporting the loaded trailer."

I considered that possibility, I did not observe a means to connect the front and rear halves. But that would make more sense. But it needs to be a substantial rigid bar to make the bottom level of the trailer strong enough.

It would only help before loading, not sure it can help during unloading

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:07 pm 

NYCRRson wrote:
But it needs to be a substantial rigid bar to make the bottom level of the trailer strong enough.

I'm sure the load is intended to become the "rigid bar". The trailer is designed to have steerable tail end; note the hydraulic cylinder and power unit on the rear section. It also hinges in the middle, looks to be with a common pintle hook. The extra axle supports the trailing end of the front deck, and when traveling empty, it runs just like a double. When securely attached to a load, it's a very long straight trailer with a steerable tail. Seems to me somewhere it said one of the members is a heavy haul driver; I suspect he knows what he is doing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:05 pm 

Since we are just guessing at this point my guess is that the word "Schnabel" should be googled by anyone interested.

I have to give these guys a HUGE amount of credit for undertaking this move. They have a "can do" attitude and are solving the problem with brains and hard work.

I would go play with these guys any day !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:36 pm 

I have heard the same thing about these people. A "can do" operation with a few team players who lead the "can do" parade. This goes against many people who can't fathom that other people can do what they can't. I often wonder why these types of people don't sit back and watch and learn?

I heard about this trailer quite a while back and I am interested in this move. Personally I want them to have a safe and successful trip. I too would happily work with a "can do" bunch like this. Smooth sailing troops. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:52 am 

Think the OTR version of the Schanbel car that is what they built here. The load becomes the center beam and is self supporting.