It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cylinder blow-downs nearly incinerate railfan.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:39 pm 

Ok, the headline is sensationalist! But so is the video. If this is your operation and you know who this man is, you might ban them from the property.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifCub0HhgzQ

Posted for your amusement, not education.

Post subject: Re: Cylinder blow-downs nearly incinerate railfan.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:46 pm 

In the words of the late, great Robin Williams:
"Geez, what a Nimno..."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:03 pm 

The description, if it's not tongue-in-cheek is most likely to gain search results from the youtube crowd that feeds on disaster and fail videos. Pure clickbait.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:59 pm 

Hi
All the engineer did was open up the cylinder cocks, to release any water in the cylinder.
And whoever took the video, might have been standing too close. And don't know anything about a Steam Locomotive?
The engineer did not do anything wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:12 pm 

Dude didn't even get his skirt ruffled. He's just a close cousin to the guy who did the crossing video from Florida in the other thread.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:18 pm 

I was expecting something similar to the time I went to a certain tourist railroad in WV with a climax.
I was on the platform and the conductor said, "Hey, you want a really good shot? Go stand near the switch stand over there." So, I filmed where he offered, the engine came out of the shed and did some moves to access the main line. The engine is now by me, and while backing down, the engineer did a blow down and practically clouded the whole station in smoke. I was somewhere in the middle, but had to admit, it was a pretty good shot, and the crew found it amusing! I'd compare the experience to a fun house with steam/smoke effects.

(This was around 2012-2013 and I haven't watched the video in years, so some details are fuzzy. I can share it here if anyone is interested.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:00 pm 

Might this be the certain railroad in WV with a Climax? This was taken back in 2012. Steam won't incinerate anyone, scald perhaps. Feel free to share your video.

Attachments:
212C0370.jpg
212C0370.jpg [ 118.24 KiB | Viewed 9708 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:46 pm 

Looks like Austrailia, so it evidently isn't just an American phenomenon.

CD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:12 pm 

CREEPING DEATH wrote:
Looks like Austrailia, so it evidently isn't just an American phenomenon.

CD

It is, Puffing Billy 12a.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmXSTE-n1Nk

I wouldn't doubt it is deliberate, if he was as much of a whiny jerk to the Oz crew as is the premise of the video he is lucky they didn't do something worse, like shake down the grates right next to him. Australia doesn't have the lawsuit culture the US does.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:18 pm 

Faulty pressure valve? Give me a break. Steam from cylinder cocks won't "incinerate " you. Hell I've been blasted closer than that and it's cold when it hits you.
One of our guys was standing by a blowdown drain when the guy on the right side opened the blowdown. Went up through the muffler and the hot water splashed him on the legs and feet on the other side of the engine. Now THAT wasn't good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:44 pm 

Frisco1522 wrote:
Faulty pressure valve? Give me a break. Steam from cylinder cocks won't "incinerate " you. Hell I've been blasted closer than that and it's cold when it hits you.

Agreed. But it's a total white out, you can't see a thing, so somebody might panic and then run into the path of the loco. Just keep still and wait until it clears. And don't be in the path of the locomotive!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:11 pm 

Yep, that's the one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YREx2ACrWQ

The scene I was referring to starts around 5:52. Fond memories. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:08 pm 

WVNorthern wrote:
Might this be the certain railroad in WV with a Climax? This was taken back in 2012. Steam won't incinerate anyone, scald perhaps. Feel free to share your video.

Steam will melt your flesh off. What you see on the outside of steam locomoti es is water vapor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:49 pm 

The cooler the outside air temperature is, the more noticeable the spent steam will be. I see that your video was made in the morning in May. My still photo was taken in the afternoon in July. If you've ever seen an operating steam engine in the winter, there will likely be little plumes of steam from all over the engine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:18 am 

By 1984, had been working around steam in large power plants for 14 yrs. The 4449 overnighted in Klamath Falls, OR one day in 1984. Like a lot of people, I was hanging around near the engine when somebody asked for her to be moved ahead about a car length. I had been talking to one of the fireman when Doyle gave a big yank on the throttle then immediately shut it and repeated the move. Right after he shut off the second time, the train started to slowly move ahead.
When the huge cloud of condensate and steam started to issue from the right hand cylinder cock, there was a big yell from the crowd and people scattered. All except me and the fireman. The cloud got so dense that we could scarcely see each other, but when it finally disapated, we were still there, fairly dry and alive.
It all depends on the circumstances, but as said before, what comes out of the cocks at that point has given up a lot of its heat and energy.