It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nickel Plate 4-6-4 whistle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:55 pm 

Hi,

Just curious, what type of whistle did the NKP 4-6-4 Hudsons have?

Thanks,
Thomas Dyrek

Post subject: Re: Nickel Plate 4-6-4 whistle
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:15 am 

I have a recording on disc of the NHRS run behind an NKP hudson, they did not have the usual berk whistle, I don't recall if I narrowed down what whistle, but I have a model project of a hudson and listened to the recording and selected the nearest sound on the decoder.

I may have asked the whistle website owner but have to check my emails, later on that unless someone else chimes up (pun unexpected...8-D)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:30 pm 

I found my decoder sheet, I set my model decoder on whistle 20,(QSI- Titan-U) this is a NYC 5 chime. This makes sense as the first NKP hudsons were ALCO built and ALCO also built the hudson for the NYC. So they may have been delivered with such a whistle. I am still asking around but if I had the book, The Engine's Moan, I might know straight up, I am still hunting down this book. If I find more solid info, I'll respond again, I changed the decoder on my model for technical reasons, but I now own 2 of these models, one is getting full working headlight/mars/marker lights/numberboards/anything else I may think of.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:21 pm 

dinwitty wrote:
I found my decoder sheet, I set my model decoder on whistle 20,(QSI- Titan-U) this is a NYC 5 chime. This makes sense as the first NKP hudsons were ALCO built and ALCO also built the hudson for the NYC. So they may have been delivered with such a whistle. I am still asking around but if I had the book, The Engine's Moan, I might know straight up, I am still hunting down this book. If I find more solid info, I'll respond again, I changed the decoder on my model for technical reasons, but I now own 2 of these models, one is getting full working headlight/mars/marker lights/numberboards/anything else I may think of.

Thanks.

TD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:22 pm 

Hi
I have the book The Engine's Moan, I have to disagree with the last post, just because the locomotive is being built by Alco, and is a Hudson type. Does not automatically mean the locomotive will receive a certain type of whistle, because the locomotive is being built by ALCO.
The railroad decides which type of whistle the said locomotive will carry, how do you know the locomotive did not carry a Nathan 6 chime, instead of a 5 chime. it is even possible that the locomotive carried a single one-note whistle, or a three chime whistle?
As locomotives when into the shops for repairs, they did not always return with the same whistle they came in with. This could have been because the said whistle was not repaired yet, or other reasons.
So to get back to the book, The Engine's Moan, on page 33, it does say that Nathan 6 chimes were used on the berks, and other motive power, but it not say which types.
There is one NKP Hudson left at the Museum of Transport in St. Louis maybe she still carries her original whistle?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:39 am 

Pat, I am working on it. I emailed the St Louis museum asking the question. Again I have the recording of an NKP hudson on an NHRS trip and I am comparing sounds. I am disappointed with the details from the book. I know the Berk Whistle and I know the Hudson whistle by sound.
I am only throwing suggestion out there what may happen when the engine made delivery.
It sounds like for now I can only figure out the whistle by its sound for now as hard direct information is being elusive.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:20 pm 

I am still stuck on using the NYC 5 chime as my choice for the Hudson as there is no other selection possible.

listening to the Hudson recording again, then hearing some Berk Whistles, I heard 2 differrent tonalities on Berks, then I heard the whistle on a mike which sounded more like the Hudson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnhNPNP64ik

This is the closest I can hear for now on a representation of the whistle. Still waiting for responses from multiple sources.

I am going to go forward and install the decoder on my 2nd Hudson and check its whistles.