It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Update on Scranton Transit #505
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:16 am 

Almost there! I just received some updated photos of Scranton Transit trolley #505, which is in her last few days of metal fab! The platforms are nearly complete and workers are wrapping up remaining details, like fitting the lifeguard bumpers and newly constructed stainless steel window bars. From here, she will be taken for media blasting and a prime coat of paint (thanks to Sherwin-Williams, which has donated all of our paint products), and then immediately return to the ECTM's restoration barn in Scranton.

Attachment:
F12.jpg
F12.jpg [ 151.47 KiB | Viewed 4971 times ]

This will bring us to the end of nearly two years of metal fabrication. We could have had it finished faster, but we insisted on going the extra mile to save the bulk of 505's original side sheets and letter boards. She also carries a couple tee posts and roof carlines salvaged from sister car 601.

This work has not been cheap, so please consider making a donation. We have been able to lower the estimated cost on getting our new bi-fold doors made, and have adjusted our Go Fund Me campaign accordingly. We also still have a couple of tee post souvenirs left for $100 each. If you aren't able to donate, please share our facebook or twitter posts.

Attachment:
505tpst.jpg
505tpst.jpg [ 207.38 KiB | Viewed 4972 times ]

I think we'll be able to accomplish a lot once the car is back home and we can get some volunteers going on it - we already have some of the woodwork for the platforms and window guides started so the next few phases should go fast.

Stay tuned!

https://twitter.com/Trolley505

http://www.facebook.com/scrantontrolley505

https://www.gofundme.com/new-d...scranton-trolley-505

Last edited by Scranton505 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Update on Scranton Transit #505
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:24 pm 

Nice work.

Need to make my annual visit and ride to support the neighbors and good folks at ECTM.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:50 pm 

She should be in the barn by the first or second week of November, maybe sooner. We have some cooperative agreements with the museum gift shop, which we do hope you will support. These sales support both the museum and our car. However, we retain 100% of all donations made specifically to Project 505. This can be by mail or through Paypal on the association's website.

ECTMA Project 505,
PO Box 20019,
Scranton, PA 18502

http://www.ectma.org/505.html

While we do look for grants and corporate sponsorships, nearly one-third of our total donations have come from private individuals. We have raised a total of $182,000 since 2013, against a projected budget of $365,000 (we may actually be able to come in closer to $300k, won't know for sure until the motors are opened up). After paying the balance on the metal work and covering transport back to Scranton, we should have enough on hand to finish a good amount of the structural woodwork, including the roof.

Any questions or concerns regarding #505, please direct to Trolley505@yahoo.com

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 am 

Would this carbody have been shipped via tractor-trailer along PA Route 100 in the Lower Macungie Township area of Lehigh County, heading north on 12/13/17? Reason I asked is I followed what appeared to be a trolley carbody shell painted blue on that roadway until I had to turn off.

If not, there's a similar trolley body in the area. If so, congratulations.
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 pm 

Rob, you beat me to the punch. Following a short stay at several temporary homes over the past few weeks, car #505 finally landed in Scranton yesterday at about 1 pm. Special thanks goes to Jim Eisenhard of J & E Trucking, who got her home safe and sound.

The car is now completely rust free and covered in blue sealer - a far cry from what we started with! We still have some metal repair to finish up before we can start on the wood but she's home and under cover. The truck frames are at ECTMA's Buckingham shop for rehab and we have a grant request pending with the state for the Westinghouse 510A motors.

Look for a more detailed report soon. We may also have some special fundraisers coming up. Any and all donations are greatly appreciated!