It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Detroit 6-110 Head Gasket
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:07 pm 

Any of you guys out there running RDC's happen to have an extra head gasket set (Detroit 5193466) for a 6-110 laying about? Or know any sources for 6-110 gaskets (and other parts..)? No luck with any usual sources. 6-110 stuff is getting scarce!

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Detroit 6-110 Head Gasket
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm 

I had a conversation with Dale at W.W. Williams in Grand Rapids, Mi about 110s a few months ago. It seems that he told me that MTU did not take over parts distribution for the 110s like they did 53, 71 and 92 series. I believe he said that parts were still available for the 110, but I don't have the supplier's name and contact info anymore. Might be worth a call. Dale knows 2 strokes very well. If you can't get anywhere, let me know. I may have a contact with some leads.

Does yours have the roots blower or centrifugal blower?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:58 pm 

The group I am helping spoke with Williams, and they dont seem to be much help with the Gaskets, they do have some things though.

I could use leads on Liners, Bearings (standard and oversize) and just about every gasket. Any help is appreciated.

Its a roots blown version.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:05 pm 

I am seeing a lot of N.O.S. stuff for those on Ebay and coming up on web searches from suppliers.

I have had L.A. Sleeve make me new liners for the ultra-rare Series 51 loop-scavenged Detroit as well as pieced many parts together for it (like a blower) from a mixture of other Series. If you get into liner manufacturing, you will learn a lot more about hone finishes for the oil vs compression rings, tapers, ring design, etc. it is all very interesting if that is your passion.

As for head gaskets, there are outfits who will make you laminated steel, solid copper, whatever you want.

As a thought, there are several low hours 6-110's floating around there and now might be the time to built some really good engines that will last you the 30 more years until diesels and anything else with a stack or tailpipe are outlawed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:05 am 

I reached out on a Detroit Diesel facebook group I'm a member of, was advised to call Midwest Diesel Service at 573-334-7707
I may have other leads tomorrow.

CD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:27 pm 

The only stuff I see on ebay is a very small handful of random stuff, and a slew of manuals.

Thanks for the info on Midwest, I passed it along. I actually saw your posting this morning. I was reserving posting there as a last resort, as that page is more stupidity then help 98% of the time.

Thanks for the LA Sleve info, good to have. 6-110s are popping up, but at this point it may be worth simply upgrading to a newer engine, with support, vs. scavenging everytime the 110 needs something.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:47 am 

I may have what you need, if you still want it. I also may have other parts for the 6110.
jimgag@optonline.net