It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boiler Studs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:42 pm 

At some point later this winter or early spring we will have to replace quite a few of the studs on the J&L 58's boiler. These are the studs that hold the various appliances, brackets etc. on to the shell. The end that threads into the shell is tapered and the corresponding hole in the shell is also tapered.

What is the procedure for making and installing the studs? How do you get the stud threaded into the shell tight? What is used as a thread sealant? I'm assuming the studs have to be made of certified material.

Another issue is that I don't have stud taps. I can't afford Bob Franzen's set of 15 taps and what do I need a set of 15 for when I only have about three different sizes that I need and are all on the small end. I did have our machinist make a new washout plug tap so I guess we will do the same for the stud taps if I can't find another option.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Boiler Studs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:29 pm 

Rick:

The recommended materials for locomotive boilers, including studs, can be found in part 3 of the NBIC code. I don't remember it off the top of my head but I'll look tomorrow if you can wait that long.

Most threaded locomotive boiler stuff is 12 tpi.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:39 pm 

I should know because I ordered a plate burnout for the new dome lid last year to the correct spec. At any rate I can get the bar stock from Alro, whenever I figure it out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:09 pm 

SOME American boiler threads are 12TPI. Others are 11.5. Unless you are careful, there's a lot of room for error. Your machinist can make a tap for chasing the threads once you have a good spec.

Tapered turning and threading in the lathe. I have had a lot of success using EXPANDO as sealant for studs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:46 pm 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
What is the procedure for making and installing the studs? How do you get the stud threaded into the shell tight? What is used as a thread sealant? I'm assuming the studs have to be made of certified material.

The studs are custom made to fit each hole in the boiler using a lathe.

To install studs, here is what I have done:
1. Jam two nuts on the straight end of the stud, tight, tight.
2. Teflon tape the tapered end of the stud.
3. Put the stud in the freezer overnight.
4. When the stud is cold as it is going to get, have a torch, wrenches, and a graphite and oil mix, or Expando (available from McMaster) ready.
5. Heat the shell to 6" or 8" out from the hole until it is just hot, not burning, to the touch. Don't make it too hot!
6. Wearing gloves, take the cold stud from the freezer, slap some spoo on it and screw it into the heated hole, quick, quick, quick. Throw the wrench on it and crank it in tight.
7. After a few minutes, with two wrenches, unjam the nuts without putting any CCW force on the stud and you are done.

There are as many variations on that technique as there are boiler makers, but I know that works.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:17 am 

Thanks Kelly. That is exactly the information that I was looking for! Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:35 pm 

Lincoln Penn wrote:
Rick:

The recommended materials for locomotive boilers, including studs, can be found in part 3 of the NBIC code. I don't remember it off the top of my head but I'll look tomorrow if you can wait that long.

Most threaded locomotive boiler stuff is 12 tpi.

I only have part 2 of the NBIC here unfortunately.