It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hunter Harrison + CSX
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:33 am 

Dear Mods:

Don't you think that this Hunter Harrison bashing thread should be over in the railfanning category?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:30 pm 

I happen to agree with moving it to Railfanning. Unless someone can provide evidence that EHH is promoting preservation interests, let alone over operating expediencies. If so, redirect the discussion to the specific aspects that concern preservation. For example, what is his involvement (pro, con, or unwitting) in the Braddock Inn restoration?

There is too much whining about him on other forums to have to see it here, too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:20 pm 

How much time is really saved by NOT doing 3 point protection?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:54 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:
How much time is really saved by NOT doing 3 point protection?

I'm sure the bean counters will gladly tell you about shaving two minutes off an 8 hour job by cutting out all three point instances. It matters to someone.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:21 pm 

I can tell you from my contacts in my old industry customers CSX is about to lose maybe forever. They are UPS Fed Ex JB Hunt Swift Schiender and several more IM shippers that are Domestic based. I was an OTR driver that also railfanned while I drove I got to see some of the best places while getting paid to do it at the same time. I railfanned Cajon Donner the Feather River and got to go Steamtown and multiple RR museums nationwide when I drove. I was forced to retire due to a severe head injury I suffered in a car accident in 2000 when I was rear ended in my home town by a woman that hit me doing 40 when I was at a dead stop.

UPS has already pulled as much as they can and has been leasing owner ops to run their stuff from Chicago to the Northeastern US anything that NS can haul they are diverting to them. JB Hunt is using their own drivers and diverting along with the other carriers listed. Why are they doing this simple they get fined by their own customers if they are late so why risk it. JB Hunt got fined by GM for a late delivery for a container of parts stuck on a CSX train less than 2 miles away from the yard that took 2 days for it to get moved into the freaking yard. I'm hearing rumblings of car shortages from my friends on the BNSF in terms of well cars and multipurpose trailer carriers. CSX has gummed up the Logistics chain nationwide and the Holiday rush is about to start nationwide.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:46 pm 

Well, Harrison has now left this world. I had no animus against the man, but I did sharply disagree with his idea to merge Canadian Pacific with Norfolk Southern. I acknowledge he did a fine job helping turn around the Illinois Central, but his impact on customer service during his time at CN, CP, and CSX is certainly debatable at best. I am also sad that he was no friend of railroad heritage, mothballing Canadian Pacific 2816 as if she was spreading cholera out of her smokestack. But who needs a goodwill ambassador to the public when you are out to please just the shareholders? Sounds like Harrison and Ben Heineman had a lot in common if you ask me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:30 am 

Three step is a fool proof.

The prohibition on getting/on off moving equipment is something that offers a false sense of security.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:24 pm 

Quote:

1) Throttle off, reverse lever centered, which prevents throttle from being moved from off.

Reverser centered still allows throttle to be moved, but having Generator Field switch opened is what prevents power from being applied (which was noted). It provides that the locomotives can be revved up to facilitate charging the brake pipe, if needed, while maintaining the protection.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:13 pm 

BnOTolSub wrote:
Quote:

1) Throttle off, reverse lever centered, which prevents throttle from being moved from off.

Reverser centered still allows throttle to be moved, but having Generator Field switch opened is what prevents power from being applied (which was noted). It provides that the locomotives can be revved up to facilitate charging the brake pipe, if needed, while maintaining the protection.

As anyone who operated 44 tonners will tell you who needs the reverser handle anyways, you can move the switch with your hand on the detent device that holds the handle in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:47 pm 

I think you're only saving seconds at best without calling 3 steps. We always use 3 steps and only the person that called it can cancel it. Also, since all of us enjoy having all our appendages firmly attached, no stepping up on moving equipment. Again, maybe losing a couple seconds but everybody goes home intact.

Since time is money, I don't see how, in the long run, it's cheaper to save a little time ignoring safety than paying out in rising insurance premiums and/or law suits. It's likely CSX is self insured but you still gotta cover the costs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:35 am 

We just do the set and center. I'll get off the engine going slow if its a good surface like a street crossing.
Tom