It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam Railroading Institute Acquires C&NW 4-6-0 175
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:36 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
From the Facebook page of the Steam Railroading Institute, Owosso, Michigan (with a typo or two corrected):

Quote:
We at the Steam Railroading Institute are excited to announce the purchase of our second historic Michigan steam locomotive! Chicago and North Western Railway (CNW) 175, a 1908 R1 class 4-6-0, will be joining our family to become a future operating stablemate to the Pere Marquette 1225!

Built by the American Locomotive Company’s Schenectady Works, the 175 hauled both freight and passenger trains in the iron-mining territory of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and Wisconsin until the mid-1950’s when diesel technology became a more economical and efficient alternative. It is the only CNW locomotive in Michigan, and one of only three R1’s in existence. Currently in storage at Ripley on the Keweenaw Peninsula, the 175 was made available to SRI by its owner, Mineral Range Inc, operator of the Mineral Range Railroad in Ishpeming. In late summer of 2017, Preston Claytor; SRI Board Member, Kevin Mayer; SRI Chief Mechanical Officer, and Dan Pluta; Contractor at Pro Services arranged a meeting with the Mineral Range and inspection of the 175. The locomotive will be moved to Owosso by road in late spring.

With negotiations followed by an agreement now in place and once delivered to Owosso, we will begin the restoration of the CNW 175 to operating condition. Grants and gifts to finance are already being pursued for what will be the second largest locomotive restoration project for our organization since the Pere Marquette 1225’s return to service in 2013.

Stay tuned for more information forthcoming on the Chicago and North Western Railway 175’s restoration, and how to contribute to the upcoming project!

This loco is, of course, a sister to Mid-Continent's 1385 and Forney Transportation Museum's 444. It has long been one of the mysterious steam locos "hidden from" the public and railfan eye, previously owned by Clint Jones, who also ended up with some other rolling stock now either gone or still hidden, some allegedly at/near the Escanaba & Lake Superior in Wisconsin/Michigan. I'm not sure I want to know how Mineral Range Inc. acquired or took possession of it......

Previous thread from years ago: http://rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34129

Website with 2015 photos from Hancock, Michigan: http://www.rgusrail.com/micnw175.html

Photo by Jeff Terry via SteamLocomotive.info

Post subject: Re: Steam Railroading Institute Acquires C&NW 4-6-0 175
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:48 pm 

Quote:
I'm not sure I want to know how Mineral Range Inc. acquired or took possession of it......

Last I knew, Mineral Range Inc. is Jones' railroad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:10 pm 

Here she is in Winona, MN long ago, for what it's worth.
[/img]

Attachments:
IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg [ 97.97 KiB | Viewed 12087 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:18 pm 

This is the link to the YouTube video of a day in the life of the mineral range railroad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Ig0_4leio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:10 pm 

I applaud SRI's move to preserve, and eventually restore, C&NW #175. It does make me wonder however, about the ex-Mississippian, ex-Frisco 2-8-0 that SRI acquired some time ago, and which they were supposedly starting to restore. That project abandoned?

Les

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:55 am 

It was never hidden. You just had to drive up to Hancock, MI. It was very visible from the road. Clint Jones has owned the #175 for many many years. Think he told me it ran at Winona on a CN&W excursion somewhere back around 1958-59 or so? Think that was the last time it ran. At one time it was supposed to be moved to mid continent RR museum but that never happened. As a kid I had my mom drive me around Winona looking for this locomotive. It had already been moved to the UP. My information was dated. Not much has changed in the last 50 or so years I guess.

Wish SRI and the #175 the best of results. Would be ecstatic to see her run. 110 yrs old this year. To bad MC scrapped the extra CN&W R-1 tender they had. It would not of been the correct tender but closer than a NP. But the tender that got scrapped was all but scrap and the NP tender is close in size and in better shape. I hope. Congrats SRI.

Regards, John.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:40 am 

Regarding the ex-Frisco 2-8-0, it was my understanding that its restoration was meant to be a learning experience for a younger group of volunteers at SRI (akin to passing along knowledge to the next generation). With efforts to keep 1225 running, the timetable to restore the 2-8-0 may still be at some point in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:56 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
John Risley wrote:
It was never hidden. You just had to drive up to Hancock, MI.

As far as railfans are concerned, ever since the FMs and "big Alcos" stopped running on the C&NW's iron ore lines up that way and the Sharks were parked on the E&LS, the U(pper)P(eninsula) might as well be Newfoundland or Baffin Island.........

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:04 am 

John D wrote:
Regarding the ex-Frisco 2-8-0, it was my understanding that its restoration was meant to be a learning experience for a younger group of volunteers at SRI (akin to passing along knowledge to the next generation). With efforts to keep 1225 running, the timetable to restore the 2-8-0 may still be at some point in the future.

Struggling with this idea. There's a locomotive that's been sitting for 15(?) years waiting for the cub scouts to restore it and the museum acquires another locomotive? Learning experiences for our youth aside, it would be nice if someone from within the organization would comment on the grand plan, timeline, and financial situation for both locomotives.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:20 pm 

Does anyone know if the tender used by C&NW 1385 during its prior operations at MidContinent still exists?

It was put up for auction and reportedly sold to a scrapper in 2015. While the tender tank was said to be beyond recovery, the tender frame (if extant) would provide a base for a new tank.

Here is a discussion about this tender:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37666&p=230407

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:40 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
John Risley wrote:
It was never hidden. You just had to drive up to Hancock, MI.

As far as railfans are concerned, ever since the FMs and "big Alcos" stopped running on the C&NW's iron ore lines up that way and the Sharks were parked on the E&LS, the U(pper)P(eninsula) might as well be Newfoundland or Baffin Island.........

What kind of comment is that? If the only things you know about railroading in the UP are (1) the Sharks and (2) the C&NW’s ore operations, then you obviously have never been to the UP, and just see things as they appeared on 20 year old Pentrex videos.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:00 pm 

murph wrote:
Struggling with this idea. There's a locomotive that's been sitting for 15(?) years waiting for the cub scouts to restore it and the museum acquires another locomotive? Learning experiences for our youth aside, it would be nice if someone from within the organization would comment on the grand plan, timeline, and financial situation for both locomotives.

Murph-this was not about Cub Scouts. This was about an older generation of restorationists/preservationists passing the knowledge torch to the next generation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:10 pm 

John D wrote:
murph wrote:

Murph-this was not about Cub Scouts. This was about an older generation of restorationists/preservationists passing the knowledge torch to the next generation.

It's a legit question though.. last time I was there, several years ago, there was quite a big fundraising campaign going on for that locomotive and I'm pretty sure it was being advertised as "the next locomotive to be restored."

Nothing wrong at all with the SRI getting #175, and I'm personally quite excited about it, it's a great locomotive. And of course the SRI reserves the right to alter plans as needed.

But when a non-profit has a fundraising campaign for the next locomotive to be restored, and then diverts attention to another.... they should expect to answer some basic questions from those of us who go huh?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:20 pm 

P Martin wrote:
What kind of comment is that? If the only things you know about railroading in the UP are (1) the Sharks and (2) the C&NW’s ore operations, then you obviously have never been to the UP, and just see things as they appeared on 20 year old Pentrex videos.

Oh, I've been to the UP several times over the past decade and a half. Spent a fair deal of time (some of it in vain) chasing the E&LS, the WC before and after CN took over, and traipsing over the territory where C&NW Alcos and FMs used to roam, in some places three side-by-side rights-of-way,and the now-closed ore piers at Escanaba...... and I kinda wish I'd shot more of the WC while I was up there.

But, you know, if you're looking to chase trains, and you only have a week or so there, there are reasons why Crivitz is a better hangout than the Keweenaw Peninsula. To say naught of the extended family of the lass that became my wife......

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:00 pm 

Returning to the original post I wish SRI success in every way. This also leads to the fantasy of doubleheading R-1's.........PD