It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Maine Central #501 & John Smythe
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:21 pm 

John Smythe wrote:
If others believe I'm flogging a dead horse then perhaps I am. The problem is the number of views this particular topic has thus far received since my first post is nearing 1,000 views, hardly what I'd describe as boring.

Or because most people are attracted to trainwrecks?

John Smythe wrote:
Believe me my work as a " Prototype Tool Development " person occupies a large portion of my daily time. I have much work to do & a short time to perform it in. I have put my college education & degrees to practical use & make a sizable salary doing so.

Not sure what your perceived personal income level has to do with railroad preservation?

John Smythe wrote:
I used to get dirty for a living, now I don't anymore except when I go to the bank and cash large paychecks & put the dirty greenbacks in my pocket to spend as I damn well please.

Hmmm.....there it is again....

John Smythe wrote:
I am doing just fine, I'm NOT depressed by any means, healthy as ever...

Yet you dragged up a 10 year old thread the other day.....

John Smythe wrote:
.....& making money hand over fist doing something I enjoy. Life is VERY GOOD!

......and again. With all that money I would think you have far more interesting things to do besides dragging up old threads and bragging about your perceived income on a railroad preservation site?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:41 pm 

Sounds like you are the one in need of more things to occupy your time besides nagging at me. If you don't like this particular topic then why are you re-posting so many of my quotes? May I suggest you consider starting your own social chat topic? By the way have you ever witnessed a train wreck up close? They inform me that they can be quite noisey!!!
Would you not agree that bear & deer taking a crap in the nearby woods out in Washington State the morning some engineer took a 30 MPH curve at 80+ and wrecked the AM commute were scared S-Less? I bet they were!! You could have sold a lot of Kaopectate that morning my friend!

MEC #501..... The Real Legend of Crawford Notch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:23 am 

Hopefully the new owners of Conway Scenic Railroad will consider not only undertaking whatever work needs to be done to get #7470 back on the " Active " status but will explore the possibilities of either purchasing MEC #501 from the 470 RR Club or working with the club to undertake restoration work that will finally allow her to operate under her own power again.
If that be the case I would be willing to work with those who will undertake such effort so that they can be brought up to speed regarding where things were left off when I stopped my activities in 2000. I have a lot of records, documents, photos & knowledge of what was what, things that perhaps few if any can remember or are still around.
The 470 club purchased thousands of dollars worth of new items for the running gear & boiler that are still crated up & stored somewhere. MEC #501 is still a very good candidate for a restoration to active service, she was well maintained by MEC and is a somewhat simple locomotive to restore without a lot of sophisticated equipment to deal with. I estimate that somewhere between $250,000 - $300,000.00 would be required to restore her. Now that the former owner is gone, a new range of possibilities will show themselves. Perhaps it's time for the 470 Club to sell her and let her have a more useful life that just being on display. just immagine the scores of railfans who would be willing to pay big money to ride behind a real " Road Engine " running on home turf rails that she once plied up in Crawford Notch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:08 pm 

John, I'm going to send you a message.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:54 pm 

OK & I just sent you one back.