It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Age of Steam Roundhouse acquires Heisler 0-4-0 fireless loco
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:45 pm 

This afternoon, 01/23/2018, the Age of Steam Roundhouse in Sugarcreek, Ohio, took delivery of a Heisler 0-4-0 fireless locomotive that had been previously displayed at a defunct restaurant in Sharon, Pennsylvania.

For more information about this locomotive, please visit the AoSRH website at http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com

A few photos of our newly acquired loco will be posted later this evening.

Take care and be safe.

John B.

John B. Corns
Age of Steam Roundhouse

Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse acquires Heisler 0-4-0 fireless
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:36 pm 

Previous thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41266&hilit=heisler+fireless

Very happy to see it was saved.

A bit OT, but a while back someone speculated here that a fireless locomotive could be powered by a stationary steam generator to power tourist trains, which made me think "hmmmm", and it has stayed in my mind since then. I would still like to see a line with a short run and easy grades give it a shot. I wonder if: a. it would be practical; and b. if it would put a**es in the seats the way steamers with fireboxes do, compared to diesels.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:18 pm 

If you are interested in the history of this locomotive from the time it left the power plant until it went to Sharon, I have some of it. Including the interesting adventure it and it's sister had traveling on it's own wheels from Groveport to Canfield, OH.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:21 pm 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
If you are interested in the history of this locomotive from the time it left the power plant until it went to Sharon, I have some of it. Including the interesting adventure it and it's sister had traveling on it's own wheels from Groveport to Canfield, OH.

I'd be interested.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:09 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
And now the Sharon Herald's reporting:

http://www.sharonherald.com/news/local_ ... bff59.html

Incidentally, not everyone is universally pleased at the growing collection at Age of Steam. A comment left to the reposting of yesterday's AoS announcement on a Facebook page:

Quote:
Wow, I see Jerry Jacobson is now hording equipment from the grave as this will now be another piece of equipment locked away from everyone. The Jerry Jacobson trophy case is alive and well today....

This is the perception that has to be tacked by AoS whether they like it or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:22 am 

Would the person complaining about AoS "hoarding" equipment have preferred to see said equipment scrapped? Did that same person come forward with an alternative offer and financial ability to acquire and preserve said equipment?

I'll just leave it there...............

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:25 pm 

Anyone complaining about the Age of Steam "hoarding" is just harboring sour grapes. Reviewing the collection, almost all of these locomotives were either in situations where there were no plans for them, or they were endangered. Jerry's first operable Ohio Central locomotive, for example, was sitting at Steamtown and probably would not have been part of their plans as it probably would be too small for the grades on the line to Moscow. Who's to say whether it would be in any better condition than the Brooks-Scanlon engine, or CP 2929? Grand Trunk 6325 was, from what I understand, in pieces after a failed restoration attempt. Southern 1643 was sitting in a shed, inaccessible to most. BEDT # 13 was de-accessioned by RRMofPA and sitting outside, for the most part untouched since its acquisition. My point is that no one seemed to be stepping forward with any plans for these engines...they are all at least stabilized and kept indoors now, to be either used by the Age of Steam, or maybe down the line, somewhere else, but at least their survival is assured, and they are better of than they had been.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:53 pm 

Quote:
Reviewing the collection, almost all of these locomotives were either in situations where there were no plans for them, or they were endangered.

Exactly! Some folks would rather see these engines remain outside, unprotected and unwanted so they can continue to complain that no one is trying to "save" them!

Hats off to the late Jerry Jacobson and the Age of Steam Roundhouse!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 pm 

train guy wrote:
Quote:
Reviewing the collection, almost all of these locomotives were either in situations where there were no plans for them, or they were endangered.

Exactly! Some folks would rather see these engines remain outside, unprotected and unwanted so they can continue to complain that no one is trying to "save" them!

Hats off to the late Jerry Jacobson and the Age of Steam Roundhouse!

Not only has AOSR brought these units inside to protect them many have been, and others are in process, of having quick cosmetic repairs and freshening of them being done so they will display better. Even so far as some have had missing parts acquired and added so that they are more complete.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:37 pm 

While I do applaud the Age of Steam Roundhouse with rescuing so many locomotives from uncertain fates, I can understand the "hoarding" perception at least when it came to AoSR's acquisition of YV 19. From what I remember, the Valley Railroad also wanted her and intended to make her operable so they would have 4 locomotives once 97's 1472 was complete (please correct me if I'm wrong). Again, not saying I agree with the frustration (I don't), just that I can understand where some of the AoSR's detractors are coming from in certain cases.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 pm 

That was the one exception to the rule that I could think of too, and I can understand the Valley's frustration. But when there's one case like that out of 20 engines, it's still sour grapes to me.