It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: K2 or Kd class Pacific's
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:03 am 

Hi Pacific & More

You seem to be spinning your wheels, are you planning on building in Live Steam, or What scale or locomotive are you trying to model?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:34 pm 

In my very first post I say, Quote: " I have been looking, high and low, for information and hopefully drawings for the K-d Class 4-6-2 Pacific,like the one with a road number of 3528. If you Goggle ( 4-6-2 Pacific 3528) and click on Images, it is the first pic in the upper LH corner of the page", unquote.There is no Pennsy mentioned in that letter either but I did bring it up later because the B&A drawings for this engine are not easy to find, if at all! I am planning a 1 1/2" scale Pacific,live steam, styled to look like the B&A 3528, and have 80" drivers. I did contact the NYCSHS, Florida, where they have the B&A files and they could not help! So, that's why I was thinking of doing a Pennsy chassis, with the 80"drivers, plus parts are out there, and then do the boiler and the B&A "look" of the number 3528, hopefully from at least an elevation drawing!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:40 pm 

Hi Pacific & More
I am also a Live Steamer also, I am a member of the WLS, of Holliston, Mass. OK, maybe you should try to post the same information on The Home Machinist website, dealing with Live Steam. http://www.chaski.org

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:20 pm 

Hello Pat
Hey, thanks for spotting my error and I appreciate that Home Machinist tip! Like I said, I'm a newbie and I don't do much chat line stuff but this site was recommended to me for what I am planning to do, but I had no idea that I was on the wrong "track" here!
Thanks,
Have a nice evening!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:36 pm 

Quote:
"I did contact the NYCSHS, Florida, where they have the B&A files and they could not help!"

He did, in fact, contact the correct individual at NYCSHS (Tom Gerbracht) and NYCSHS does, indeed, not have the material he wanted. Here is part of Tom's note to me:

Quote:
"I was contacted by an individual inquiring re what NYCSHS has available in the form of drawings for a B&A Kd Pacific. I performed some research, and replied to him via email that NYCSHS has nothing to offer. The design is too old to appear in any of the Loco Classification Books. I did locate one listing of the class in the Edson, Vail, and Smith all-time roster of NYC and subsidiary steam locomotives, but no photographs.

He did ask an additional question re cast engine beds. I did not reply to this as he can easily obtain this information with a web search."

None of these prototypes would have cast engine beds except as part of intensive rebuilds, although some might have cast-steel frames (there is an important technical difference). If any information on these is needed, I and probably many others here would be happy to assist.

I do have to wonder whether a USRA light or heavy Pacific wouldn't be the right 'prototype' if all he wants is the general 'look'. Who has suggestions for "documented" locomotive designs with that 'Alco look' and 80" drivers?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:15 pm 

What I recommend you do, if you're new to live-steam construction, is to read through the following thread:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90648&hilit=Hodges

I suspect it will take you some time; there are many pages of detail. Take notes as you go, and be prepared to google or ask advice (on homemachinist or here) when something unfamiliar comes up. I think that will give you a big leg up on the theory and practice of what you want to do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:13 pm 

Thanks to all of you who have given input to my requests! I'm thinking I now have my drawings thing under control and here is a question of a different nature. My locomotive scale is 1 1/2", USRA Pacific, and we will attempt to cast our own cylinders and yes, we have have foundry experience already. Here is where I could use some more help. Does any of you know of a good book, or information that speaks specifically to the subject of making patterns for the cored locomotive cylinders? While we're on the subject of books, likewise I am looking for the same pattern info for making the Commonwealth Delta, two wheel trailing truck.
Thank You!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:59 am 

Regarding the 4-6-2 USRA Light Pacific. I am looking for a cylinder drawing which was quite universal to this class of locomotives. If someone has such a drawing, could we maybe talk? Otherwise I need help with some road number of such locos? I need that as the archive people want as much info as they can get before they want to go digging in their mountain of drawings!
Thanks