It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

would you be interested in a project like this?
yes 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
no 83%  83%  [ 43 ]
Total votes : 52
 Post subject: Would anybody be interested in a Y6b replica
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:14 pm 

Hello there! I'm new around here!
Okay then, let's cut to the chase. I've had this idea in the back of my head for awhile now, but I've had this crazy idea of building a brand new Norfolk and Western Y6b from the ground up. It's going to be the next member in the class (2201). Now this institution of rebuilding the locomotive won't probably be for a few years (I'm only 15) but It's best to think about these things when you're still young, right? I found a good number of blueprints online (on pintrest of all places!) https://www.pinterest.com/jayschebler/project-2174-a-21st-century-steam-project-campaign/ interesting huh? But before I go and start forming some sort of organization, I need to know if anyone would be interested at all.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

Post subject: Re: Would anybody be interested in a Y6b replica
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:57 pm 

Hi,

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but there will be a lot of things working against you if you were to start up this project. The main reason: there's already a very similar locomotive preserved (Y6A number 2156). However, if you're determined to make one, go for it.

A friend and I were thinking of doing the same with a replica of GTW K-4-A number 5629, but there is already a K-4-B preserved so it doesn't really make sense to build a replica of an almost identical locomotive.

I recommend checking out the thread on our project idea. There were a lot of good responses with valuable information on the subject of building replica locomotives. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40322&hilit=5629+trust

Good luck,
Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:12 pm 

There is no particular reason to do this, if for no other reason than that the existing Y6a has the extended firebox and, I believe, any required reliability modifications that a Y6b in operation would require. That is two orders of magnitude off your cost right there, if you with appropriate support could convince NTM to let you restore it for operation.

About the only reason to build a full Y6 replica would be to test some ideas for an improved "Y6c" specifically including the necessary modifications to the steam circuit to allow the locomotive to operate economically at speeds of 45mph or above. This derives some of its concept from the French engineer Chapelon, and involves proportional modulation of high-pressure steam into the LP receiver or steam circuit with the effect of matching the effective pressure in the low-pressure cylinders so the resultant piston thrust phasing matches that of the HP engine and does not suffer wide cycle swings or compression effects that would impede quicker cyclic operation of the engine. Note that this is associated with, but not the same as, intermediate IP injection to balance the effective power from the two engines: it is intended to prevent the substantial loss due to mass flow that causes horsepower to dive below that for a NYC Hudson above about 33mph and counteract the balance issues that a reheat device like the 'booster valve' only solves circumstantially. This also would feature things like an all-welded boiler and perhaps lightweight rods and motionwork -- in fact, many of the happy little serendipities coming out of the evolving T1 production efforts.

The problem is that this is only very, very circumstantially related to historic preservation itself, and I suspect there are comparatively few donors of any particular size who would have a sufficient interest in a new modern Y-class even suited for excursion speeds. Unimproved, the costs of running something this heavy and specialized, without the ability to run economically at reduced boiler pressure (as a Niagara, for example, could) are only beginning when you get to completing its construction. Were you going to keep this at VMT and run it ... well, where would you run it? I dont see the numbers working for it in any operational model.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:17 pm 

I wouldn't be complaining. But, it isn't really a lost class. Still, where would something so heavy run? I'd imagine you would need a well maintained strech, with heavy rail- that eliminates too many locations. It would be great to see some fresh compound steam in the U.S. And with the same point the T1 trust makes, it would be new blood in a old fleet.
I'd say keep it in mind. Maybe sometime in the future, at the right time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:44 pm 

OK, sure, if you win the mega millions super lottery and money is no option, go ahead and build it. People will come out to see it, once you find someplace to run it.

However, if you're not a millionaire, there are some questions and options.
1) Why not restore N&W 2156, a Y6a Class 2-8-8-2? Is there really enough difference between the classes to justify an entire new build?
2) Why not restore N&W 1218, an A Class 2-6-6-4? This one is a known quantity, it's been restored before and is in relatively good condition. Also, the smaller size means it's slightly easier to find places for it to run?
3) If you're dead set on a Y6B replica, consider doing it in live steam, maybe 7-1/4 or 7-1/2 gauge. That does two things. It reduces your budget by roughly a billion $. It means finding someplace to run will be much, much easier.

As an example, here's a very nice version of one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_GVzB4P5Xo

That is definitely a goal that is achievable on a personal level.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:13 pm 

The question has to be asked, even if you approached the museums with the Y6 or the A, with unlimited money, what makes any of you think they'd just turn either over to a restoration effort?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:31 pm 

Make a supported case for why we need a new Y6b and demonstrate realistically how it will be paid for and sustained after it is built. If you can do all that, I'll be interested in it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 pm 

As an N&W guy I'd love to see a Y6b! Being realistic we do have a Y6a which is pretty darn close, plus a Y3a that's already preserved. Considering that I personally don't think it makes sense to build a new one.

I applaud you're enthusiasm though - don't let anybody ever crush it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:18 pm 

There is nothing wrong with dreaming big, especially when you are just 15 ! Perhaps you can follow the rebuilding of a Pennsy T-1. If that can be accomplished then who knows what might be next. It will be left to your generation to carry the torch, making certain that so many of the wonderful things that have been saved in railroading will have a future. We need more people like you !

Kevin K.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:30 pm 

I think the money needed to build a new Y6B would be better spent on preserving existing locomotives. There are a great many rusting hulks out there that need a good cosmetic restoration and an indoor home.

That being said, I'm delighted to know that there is a 15 year old out there who knows what a Y6B is and has the enthusiasm to suggest such a project. It speaks well for the next generation of railfans. There are a lot of us jaded old fogies who might knock your plan but don't let them get the better of you. Stick to your guns and I hope to ride behind a new Y6B someday. All the while griping about how much it cost and how the money could've been better spent...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:44 pm 

as an idea I have no problem creating a Y6b, what the dilly was one existed in Roanoke late into the 80s at the scrapyard with the 4-8-0's, the new owner promptly scrapped it. N&W was still a forward thinking railroad and had plans for a Y7, Thomas Dressler built one in HO, it doesnt look that much like the Y6b with front air compressors on the smokebox. The Y7 was an even bigger boiler but operated only in simple mode.
Again we have 2 existing Y engines, the easier effort would be to restore one of those engines.
BTW the A is actually a longer engine than the Y's, it was built for the more level routes than the mountain climbing the Y's had to do, but the A was no stranger battling the Blue Ridge rails.

When I think about doing this I think about, well, we already have had a close Y6 running in 1218, what I want to see is something we have not seen running and that is one of the 4-8-0's, the best candidate is at the NRHS in Roanoke, support them if you want to see it running. But for a Y6b, I won't say never. We've seen some new steamers built like in Britain and the T1 project ongoing. If the B&LE 643 can find its home to run, maybe the Y6b could share that. Anyways thats just wild dreaming. But sometime somewhere you have to plant a seed and see where it goes and learn the needed background it requires to do such a thing, study the T1 project and learn what it takes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:58 pm 

If you started a campaign to build a NYC J3a streamlined or unstreamlined I guarantee people would get behind. Way easier to build than a T1 and small enough to run many places.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:02 am 

dinwitty wrote:
what I want to see is something we have not seen running and that is one of the 4-8-0's

Huh?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:11 am 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
dinwitty wrote:
what I want to see is something we have not seen running and that is one of the 4-8-0's

Huh?

Yeah, like one of these Image

He must of not heard of the Strasburg.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:40 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I'm going to answer this question in then most accurate, albeit pedantic, way possible.

Define "interested".

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next