It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Endangered Steam Locomotives
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:54 pm 

Earlier, in a thread about the L&A 503, an idea was put forth to create a list of steam locomotives across the US that are currently endangered. So how about it? I think a list like this could be useful to spread awareness, considering I did not know about the plight of the 503 until recently.

Post subject: Re: Endangered Steam Locomotives
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:00 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
A caveat:

An awful lot of the so-called "ten most endangered" lists out there are quite brazenly publicity-seeking efforts not just for the items/projects being highlighted, but for the organizations promoting the lists. I have seen an unfortunate press releases like these devolve quickly into what are really propaganda tracts for/against one political entity/cause or another.

These lists are often a sophisticated form of what we would call "click-bait" if they were online, and to be honest their track of "success" in actually "saving" those "buildings/natural wonders/species/whatever" tends to be minor at best.

But, hey, let's try. Let's just use good judgement and realism in our choices.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:11 pm 

I was the original poster of that idea. I was thinking this list would focus mainly on "park engines."

But should we include those at railroad museums or under private (individual) ownership?
I don't want individuals attacking "Railroad Museum A" or "Mr. Doe."

Please leave any feedback, comments, or ideas. They will be considered and appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:21 pm 

The most endangered part of RYPN is preservation. We have lots of neglected Railroading equipment that all people want to do is modify and transform of build an "improved replica" . Sometimes the most endangered pieces are the ones in "preservation efforts"

Robby Peartree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:10 pm 

Probably very few of us even knew that the 503 existed until the imminent scrapping crisis developed. So why not start maintaining an open sourced list of park engines in dubious situations. If it isn't maintained and appears to not be appreciated, put it on the list. Maybe someone would follow up on the locomotives and find out that they may be available BEFORE the scrapper shows up with torches.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:17 pm 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
Probably very few of us even knew that the 503 existed until the imminent scrapping crisis developed. So why not start maintaining an open sourced list of park engines in dubious situations. If it isn't maintained and appears to not be appreciated, put it on the list. Maybe someone would follow up on the locomotives and find out that they may be available BEFORE the scrapper shows up with torches.

Thanks Rick, I really appreciate your views on the subject. So would everyone agree to focus on park engines?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:36 pm 

Park engines seem to be most endangered. When doled out to cities, many thought these invincible monsters would never require regular paint or shelter. When the budget came down to whether the schools get closed or the park loco gets a new shelter, the locomotives always lost.

A list of locomotives with neglected paint, severe vandalism, weather related damage, lack of security, would seem a good place to start. Usually all these conditions run together.
Cities and towns which have expressed a desire to be relieved of their park locomotives should be a priority. Since many of us fall under the category of "foamers", let's not create problems where they don't exist, i.e. need for paint at B&O Museum, outdoor locomotives at RMPA.

Besides the 503, I can think of C&O 2760, and one or two others (is it fair to include CNR 6218 and NKP 628?) which have received attention after we railfans raised an alarm.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:40 pm 

I am going to divide the list by state.
Alright, here are the listings for Alabama.

Andalusia, Alabama
Seaboard Air Line Ry No. 1003
(not a park engine, but in terrible condition)
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=24

Mobile, Alabama
St. Louis - San Francisco RR No. 1527
Seems to be in good shape. Appears to be minorly vandalized and needs a new paint job.
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=23

Last edited by NS 3322 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:58 pm 

State, City
-Locomotive
- Comment
- Link

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:06 pm 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
If it isn't maintained and appears to not be appreciated, put it on the list.

Buffalo, Wyoming
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy 2-6-0 1175
This is a prime example of unmaintained and unappreciated. It is missing many major parts, such as it's tender, pilot, smokebox door, etc... A shame, as it is one of only three Pittsburgh locomotives surviving, so it is historic in that regard.
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive ... splay=1368

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:23 pm 

Alaska

Anchorage, Alaska
The Alaska Railroad No. 802 (0-4-0T
Needs some TLC as its showing signs of rust. The chain fencing is gone.
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive ... splay=1543

Yakutat, Alaska
Yakutat & Southern Ry No. 2
Unless something recent has been done, this engine appears to be in poor shape.
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 am 

Quote:
Buffalo, Wyoming

Ouch. That one is not even funny.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:03 am 

I know of four--

NKP 2-8-2 #639, on display at Miller Park in Bloomington, IL. There are no funds to care for the locomotive and it's starting to show signs of severe rusting.

NKP 2-8-2 #587, undergoing restoration at the Indiana Transportation Museum in Noblesville, IN. Since ITM has been evicted from their site and the 587 is mostly dismantled, I fear that this might be a repeat of CB&Q 5632.

EJ&E 2-8-2 #765, on display at Gary, IN. Very poor condition, heavily vandalized, and severely rusted in many places. There is a fence around the locomotive but it is only about three feet tall and the gate has been stolen allowing easy access to it.

ME (Mississippi Eastern) 4-6-0 #303, on display at the Monticello Railway Museum in Monticello, IL. This locomotive has been stored outdoors with little to no work done on it since the mid-1960's. It was moved to MRYM in 2000 but no work has been done to it yet. Out of all the locomotives on this list, the 303 is by far in the worst condition. It is covered in rust and most components have been removed. The coupler on the back of the tender is about to fall off.

Hopefully somebody will step in to help these locomotives someday.

Thomas Dyrek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:25 pm 

lmckay175 wrote:
Buffalo, Wyoming
This is a prime example of unmaintained and unappreciated. It is missing many major parts, such as it's tender, pilot, smokebox door, etc... A shame, as it is one of only three Pittsburgh locomotives surviving, so it is historic in that regard.
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive ... splay=1368

Anyone know what happened there? Restoration project gone horribly wrong? Really ambitious metal thieves? Locomotive saved mid-scrapping?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:51 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:
Rick Rowlands wrote:
So why not start maintaining an open sourced list of park engines in dubious situations. If it isn't maintained and appears to not be appreciated, put it on the list.

So would everyone agree to focus on park engines?

Why park engines only? There are privately owned engines that the family's first call upon the death of the owner will be to the scrap yard. Three that wouldn't surprise me would be B&LE #643, the entire East Broad Top, and the Kepner collection in Oregon. Hopefully my worst fears won't come to pass.

Trainkid456 wrote:
ME (Mississippi Eastern) 4-6-0 #303, on display at the Monticello Railway Museum in Monticello, IL. This locomotive has been stored outdoors with little to no work done on it since the mid-1960's.

That wouldn't count in that it belongs to a well established museum, so there is little chance that it will be going to scrap. Rusty and ugly doesn't equal "endangered".