It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trying to save the 503
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:37 pm 

In reading this unfortunate digression from what is a great story, I can not help but to think of this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvdY3HfepOo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:41 pm 

Cameron Wolk wrote:
On a last note let my article serve as a good example of what happens when you don't adequately inform your donor base of what the hell's going on. I hope that in future fundraisers like this I can count on the recipient to give me a straight answer than leave me in the dark.
Really?

I gave a small donation at 9:49 PM on 2/17/2018. Since then, I've received eight (8) different 'Jason posted an update on "Help save historic steam engine 503"' emails from gofundme. IMHO, the frequency of their updates is amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:26 pm 

Chris Webster wrote:
Cameron Wolk wrote:
On a last note let my article serve as a good example of what happens when you don't adequately inform your donor base of what the hell's going on. I hope that in future fundraisers like this I can count on the recipient to give me a straight answer than leave me in the dark.
Really?

I gave a small donation at 9:49 PM on 2/17/2018. Since then, I've received eight (8) different 'Jason posted an update on "Help save historic steam engine 503"' emails from gofundme. IMHO, the frequency of their updates is amazing.

I'm not talking about those updates but the drama that went on behind the scenes. I had serious reason to believe something was wrong and contacted the media as a concerned citizen. There's absolutely no fault in that Chris. Inland Environmental respectfully rebuffed my opinion and provided an answer better than what I got from social media. By the time Jason had come back with the correct numbers it was a done deal, I couldn't do anything about that. I'm satisfied with the outcome and have no regrets.

Cameron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:34 pm 

Cameron Wolk wrote:
I'm not talking about those updates but the drama that went on behind the scenes.
Drama to which you contributed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:03 pm 

Steve DeGaetano wrote:
Cameron Wolk wrote:
I'm not talking about those updates but the drama that went on behind the scenes.
Drama to which you contributed.

Thanks Steve, I'm done talking about this. It was a minor article that somehow managed to trigger half of RYPN. I always have good intentions in what I do even if you don't appreciate the actions I take. For two guys taking such a big step in preservation I felt there needed to be some clarification as to the contractor's methods. I wanted transparency and I got it for the rest of the community involved in this project.

When I went after #505 in Texas do you know how much they wanted for it only 30k and it still had a good engine. Now how in the world does a steam locomotive with no jacket, rusting to the brim and half vandalized sell for 35k in that condition? It makes no sense, it's criminal and it bothers me there are actually people out there who think that's a reasonable price. That's not how you conduct proper business not here not anywhere. I did the right thing by exposing this to the local media.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:49 pm 

Cameron Wolk wrote:
Chris Webster wrote:
Cameron Wolk wrote:
Really?

I'm not talking about those updates but the drama that went on behind the scenes. I had serious reason to believe something was wrong and contacted the media as a concerned citizen. There's absolutely no fault in that Chris. Inland Environmental respectfully rebuffed my opinion and provided an answer better than what I got from social media. By the time Jason had come back with the correct numbers it was a done deal, I couldn't do anything about that. I'm satisfied with the outcome and have no regrets.

Cameron

Interjecting one's self into a situation that you are not involved in, haven't a clue as to the Dynamics of, is the absolute best way to cause such things to fall apart! At what point did it make more sense to contact people whom you do not know then to be the one and only person that would have sent me a message asking where things are at while everyone else patiently awaited an update.

Out of the 1240+ donors, there are about 5 who take issue. Think long and hard about that.

To everyone who donated, thank you very much! Nick and I are but the Wranglers of this endeavor. And while we have so far invested several thousand dollars of our own money into pulling this off..... You all, all of you, are the reason it was a success.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:03 pm 

Please, let it go at this point. It wasn't circulated anywhere outside PA and the #503 project is going smoothly as ever. It was my personal opinion only, not of the two gentlemen actually conducting the fundraiser. David Ball, the journalist who called told me that you personally had stated doubts of Inland Environmental, did he intentionally lie to me? I tried to reach out on Facebook and never heard back from you sir. Someone from their company got back to me in the article giving me a clear and concise picture of the actual events. This is a nonissue at this point. If you would like I can look into Ball removing the article completely if that would make you satisfied.
I attend a maritime academy where we put a strong emphasis on integrity and helping one another. If I felt Jason that someone were trying to dupe you I'd stand up for you. I had good intentions in doing this even if I made an honest mistake in the process. I've been involved in similar projects such as yours and I've seen what the trouble people go through to achieve their dreams. Can you forgive me on this?

Last edited by Cameron Wolk on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 pm 

I've stated a couple of concerns, but they were mostly poo-pood. I have others, some that will soon become very real for the people involved, but at this point, I'm being quiet with them. I think for now, we all should just wait and see what happens. This simply isn't over yet, and I won't think of it as over, at least for the engine's sake, till the bill of sale is signed. And the check has cleared the bank. I don't think I am alone.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:26 pm 

Some local push back concerning the legality of the initial transaction between Port Arthur and Inland being passed without public comment or vote:

http://kfdm.com/news/local/port-arthur-city-officials-make-deal-to-scrap-historic-train

Mr. Sobczynski doing an admirable job presenting a professional preservation scenario for 503 in the local press:

http://www.panews.com/2018/02/23/almost-ready-to-move-railroad-company-working-out-how-to-transfer-engine-to-florida/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:57 pm 

Jason was the man of the hour who stuck his neck out and went over there to do what he could, and he succeeded in saving the locomotive. There might be a few more hoops to jump through, but now, the fight is to make sure the PA city council doesn't wreck the whole deal. This was not the perfect scenario to save a locomotive, but what is? Our job is to cheer him on, and do what we can to make sure the locomotive has a secure future. That means hammering the city council to let things proceed between Jason and the scrapper, not rail against it, not campaign to keep the locomotive where it is, not do anything to prevent the ultimate saving of the engine. End of rant.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:12 am 

To echo Jason and Rick’s posts, let the guys on the ground do their job. We, the community, came together. Now, Jason and Nick have the ball. My donations were not just because of #503; they were also because of my faith in Jason and Nick to do the best they can.

I can wait for the next update, whether it is tomorrow or next week. If Jason and Nick believe some kind of email/calling campaign is required, they will let us know. Until then, I know my money is being well represented in Port Arthur by the gents who put this together and raised the funds.

What a great week!

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:57 pm 

Cameron Wolk wrote:
but I'm also the only one in uniform who cared to give a damn about your welfare and safety.

Really? You want to reel that one back in?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:20 pm 

Mount Royal wrote:
Cameron Wolk wrote:
but I'm also the only one in uniform who cared to give a damn about your welfare and safety.

To be honest Royal I just want you guys to stop badgering me on this topic. I've explained myself enough, what exactly do you want me to say? I already apologized to Jason along with some of the other project heads for my outburst. I legitimately thought the contractor had overpriced the #503 and wanted to make the conflict known to the general public. It was a mistake on my part to assume this for which I'm deeply sorry. The article was agreeably terrible and I should of known beforehand about saying anything. If I caused any inconvenience in this process I take responsibility for it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:32 pm 

Cameron Wolk wrote:
Mount Royal wrote:
Cameron Wolk wrote:

To be honest Royal I just want you guys to stop badgering me on this topic. I've explained myself enough, what exactly do you want me to say? I already apologized to Jason along with some of the other project heads for my outburst. I legitimately thought the contractor had overpriced the #503 and wanted to make the conflict known to the general public. It was a mistake on my part to assume this for which I'm deeply sorry. The article was agreeably terrible and I should of known beforehand about saying anything. If I caused any inconvenience in this process I take responsibility for it.

It’s the uniform comment I have an issue with. Check your PMs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:38 pm 

Seems to me that Mr. Wolk has received more that enough scolding for his well intentioned involvement.

With the word now that the Port Arthur City Council has called a special meeting next week to discuss and " reconsider" ( whatever that means ) the whole locomotive 503 "matter" concerns me greatly as it now appears that the City has not issued a Bill of Sale to the scrapper and may be having second thoughts about the whole subject.

I sure hope that Jason & Co. come out ok on this as they've certainly worked hard to see that this machine was not cut up.

Guess we'll have to leave it in their hands and hope for the best.

Ross Rowland

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 33  Next