It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Please help try to save the equipment at Burnham Yard
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:20 pm 

Jeeps wrote:
Jeeps wrote:
Lincoln Penn wrote:

Why would the boom have been raised above traveling position to begin with?[/quote

Good question.
I’ll ask when I see the volunteers directly involved.

The Moffat Road Museum Granby Colorado is at
http://moffatroadrailroadmuseum.org

Per the UP Steam crew that volunteered their free time current UP rules on the Moffat tunnel district hight restrictions required lowering the boom. The wrecker has been moved out of Burnham yard north to the UP yard along Brighton Blvd Denver. Unofficially the wrecker should move to the museum in a few months.

Nice, but it doesn't answer the question. Was the boom in a raised position? If so, why?
How did they lower it, if they did, since it has no steam pressure?
note: This is not Moffat Tunnel district trackage; it is Denver terminal trackage. These moves don't get within miles of any tunnels.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:54 pm 

If they are moving it to Granby it will need to go through all 40 or so tunnels including the Moffat Tunnel, and I'll bet UP doesn't want it to wait until they get to North Yard to lower it, it would do a lot of damage if someone released it early.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:06 pm 

Lincoln Penn wrote:

Nice, but it doesn't answer the question. Was the boom in a raised position? If so, why?
How did they lower it, if they did, since it has no steam pressure?
note: This is not Moffat Tunnel district trackage; it is Denver terminal trackage. These moves don't get within miles of any tunnels.

Sorry but I’m just reporting what I know.
The boom as shown in other photos on the web was originally in the stowed position which is about the height of a double stack train. The crane was last moved via overland routes to its current position. As others have stated the crane will be moved from Denver to Granby via the UP Moffat route through about 26 or so tunnels including the Moffat tunnel with some tunnels unlined stone tunnels on tight curves with restricted horizontal and vertical clearances. I assume the crane had been converted to diesel in the past. Not sure how they lowered the boom but however it was done is far less invasive and cheaper than disassembling it into multiple parts and trucking it through the Eisenhower tunnel to Steamboat Springs and around to Grandby. UP Steam gave a 4014 presentation along with some photos of their volunteer effort on this subject along with another Burnham Yard D&RGW diesel that they moved and installed into the Forney Museum at today’s Rocky Mountain Train Show in Denver.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:29 am 

The wrecker has not been converted to diesel. See:

https://images1.westword.com/imager/u/o ... ham-03.jpg

It is also on roller bearings. The best way to lower the boom is to charge the boiler with compressed air and run the engines. I have done this and it works like a charm.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:43 pm 

The 1913 D&SL Steam Crane has arrived at the Moffatt Railroad Museum in Granby Colorado via the UP Moffat Division.
The 1913 Denver & Salt Lake steam crane is sitting on the house track in Granby.
The UP Steam crew moved the crane to the Forney Museum siding where it was stored and arranged to move it to Grandby Colorado last week.
Congratulations to the Moffat Railroad museum.
Details at the museum website below.
http://moffatroadrailroadmuseum.org