It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: RYPN as a Useful Forum is Dying (A Rambling Rant)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:32 pm 

Wow! Lot of comments, good and bad. So can I throw in my two cents here? I used to post quite a bit on many different threads but got tired of a few who thought it was OK to take pot shots at my comments which is their right. But what frosted my balls was that many of these folks have no idea what historic preservation is/was. They have no idea of what we in the preservation industry put up with. Or how difficult it is on many occasions to get stuff done. And heaven forbid you ask for help. They turn on you like you are lower than the lowest scum on the earth. My solution, I stayed away. It's only the past few weeks that I have been back on the site.

So I'll make the same proposal I did a long time ago. Open the forum to those in the preservation industry. Do we really need arm chair quarter backs telling us how to get railroad equipment back together?

And personally, I hated it when I supported a member on his travels to recover and restore a piece of equipment and then he turned on me when we were having difficulties with our local government. Shame on him.

Like I said, just my two cents.

Later!
Mr. Ed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:33 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
A year later, I can count at least four major "saves" that happened in the past year precisely because of RyPN Interchange, and NOT Facebook--and a fifth is under way with L&A 503.
You still want to say it's "dying"?
Or is it rail preservation and/or the fragmentation of online discussion itself that is having the problems, and not RyPN?

"RYPN as a useful forum is dying" is not the same as "RYPN as a useful forum is dead."

http://www.fwrhs.org

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:27 pm 

My 2 cents also. I am absolutely thrilled with the help and support in restoring the GE 23 Tonner.
I heard from as far away as Kauai!
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:45 pm 

GIGO. The usefulness of this (or any other) forum is based on the topics brought up for consideration. Technical help, parts searches, and responding to specific situations make for immediately practical information.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:54 pm 

Dave wrote:
GIGO. The usefulness of this (or any other) forum is based on the topics brought up for consideration. Technical help, parts searches, and responding to specific situations make for immediately practical information.

Dave nailed it exactly!

PC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:07 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
A year later, I can count at least four major "saves" that happened in the past year precisely because of RyPN Interchange, and NOT Facebook--and a fifth is under way with L&A 503.

Do you have any data which actually substantiates this statement, or are you just listing cases which have been mentioned on rypn and the actual fund raising done else where?

Bob H

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:12 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I'm listing cases where the ACTUAL people who "made the save" DIRECTLY credited posts here, or said as much to me. (Come to think of it, I can add one from Classifieds as well.)

The latest example is the SP SW1 now en route to Williams, Az. :

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41408

Read Eric Hadder's post near the bottom of the first page. I received the info on the loco and other rolling stock from a direct e-mail, but chose to cite the Facebook post that appeared later because my "informant" didn't want to be cited.

If I were feeling better, I could go hunt down the other three I remember....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:36 am 

I avoided this thread, but here I go, you do not have to read every thread, but this place is filled with knowledgable people,it is invaluable. The railroad preservation needs a strong focal point and its right here. good bad or ugly and I hope all good 8-P

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:20 am 

I will add to the above reply and say if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have known where to blow the whistle about 503. Having said that #503 in all possibility wouldn't have a chance. So rypn is invaluable for rail preservation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:39 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
JayZee wrote:
I will add to the above reply and say if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have known where to blow the whistle about 503. Having said that #503 in all possibility wouldn't have a chance. So rypn is invaluable for rail preservation.

In the L&A 503 rescue thread JayZee states that Jason Sobczynski, who is for practical purposes the single-handed rescuer of this loco, said outright he found out about this jeopardized loco on RyPN Interchange.

Not Facebook. Not TrainOrders. Not Twitter. Not an AOL chatroom.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:59 pm 

To put in my "dos centavos" worth ---

RyPN is still useful, vastly better than almost anywhere else on the web --- no fees, no ads (except from members), no pop ups, no spam, no data mining (unlike "sitonmyfacebook").

I also adopted an orphan locomotive because of RyPN and my RyPN buddies. I've received technical help, help locating tools, and help compiling a dossier on my locomotive from both my friends and total strangers via RyPN.

My pet peeve concerns a few individuals who seem to have gone out of their way to be snotty to me on this forum (maybe they weren't going too far out of their way). However, at least 50 times as many people have gone out of their way to be nice to me, so I can't complain too much.

RyPN also published me when the very cliqueish hobby shop mags all played shut out with me.

Viva RyPN !!!!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:05 am 

I support RYPN.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:29 pm 

I am quite new here, but allow me to offer my thoughts.

First off, while it is not pretty I am glad this thread exists. I have learned quite a bit about the history of RYPN from it.

My only comment on flame wars is that everyone is too sensitive these days, especially on the internet. It is for that reason political discussions are not allowed on the Trains Magazine forums, where I have been posting off and on for several years (Overmod will probably recognize me).

As you can see I am posting under a pseudonym, but it is the same one I use on other forums, and when I get around to it I will have the same avatar and signature as those other sites. The reason I use a pseudonym is that it allows me a relative freedom of speech, my employer would not approve of some things I post and they are known to google people's names to try and dig up dirt.

I look forward to reading more of the archives here and hope this site stays around for a long time, it has already proven quite helpful to me. I am not a daily poster (<1000 posts in 5 years on the Trains forums) but still log in most days to read.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:39 pm 

Welcome, SD70dude -- you might want to mirror a couple of your recent posts over at Kalmbach regarding restorations in progress you're concerned with!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:15 am 

As my last sign off on this site I have an experience I'd like to share as I have already with few. I had an anonymous gentlemen recently threaten to take my life over a piece of literature many of you are familiar with. I didn't mention it on the forum out of security but this is it for me. I've been a member on RYPN since high school and I've loved every moment of it from the discussions on mind blowing projects to the personal stories of inspiration.

There are some truly great people on RYPN, throughout my life if you told me I'd find a place like this someday I'd say you were lying. I grew up with a fist flying in my face, people here treated me like I mattered I was worth something and I appreciated that gratitude. It's said war can make a man out of a boy yet when I came here to RYPN originally I was nothing of a shy kid. The outstanding members here like Howard Pincus, Tom Gears, Ross Rowlands and Gerald Altizer taught me how to conduct business, how to act, life advice, tools that I still use to this very day. I believe a large amount of young people can learn something from these folks even as time flies by, they're a living resource that'll never die.

RYPN made a man out of me and I'm proud with tears in my eyes to say that. I'm moving on to better things to do with my life but those values I learned here won't leave me. No forum can replace the individuals who make up this fantastic site. Thank you for helping me get through my youth gentlemen.

Sincerely,

Cameron Wolk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next