It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:36 pm 

I would like to suggest that there may be parts to a third Davenport WW1 chassis still in existence.

In the year prior to Hyatt acquiring the two remaining chassis, a small gauge 2-6-2 was manufactured by Davenport for millionaire Vincent Astor to operate on his private railroad at Ferry Reach, Bermuda.

After some review of the photos I have of the Ferry Reach railway from The Bermuda Railway by Pomeroy and found at this sites, I am convinced that Davenport took one of a few 2-6-2 chassis they had lying around, and narrowed the configuration.
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=19778

From the University of Iowa library, the statistics of this survivor is :
#2304 10-ton Stm. 2-6-2 18" 8/1940 Vincent Astor, NY City for Bermuda(Ferry Reach)

They probably designed and cast a new steam chest/boiler saddle, and had a boiler manufactured. The drive wheels appear to be identical to those on the two Byron locomotives, of which the chassis were purchased from Davenport just a year after the Astor locomotive was procured.

I have a theory that Astor may have had the engine re-gauged to 18" because he already had equipment at that gauge, which had operated at the family estate on the Hudson River. Apparently there was one battery electric locomotive, two coaches and two luggage cars also at Bermuda, and they style of the electric engine appears to be influenced by early 1930s automobile designs and electric railroads. The Ferry Reach railroad actually hauled passengers from an interchange with the Bermuda Railroad, a short distance to his home on the other side of the island.

O. Anderson
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18inch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:24 pm 

You should probably make that FOUR Davenport chassis still in existence, if you include the 2-6-2 on display at Fort Benning Georgia. They have on display a 2-6-2 Davenport "Trench" locomotive from WW1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:51 pm 

For some reason I always find it interesting to see these derelict engines. Dont know why.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:47 pm 

Byron 2968 was loaded on a flatbed semi headed west on I-70. I saw it yesterday (10-13-2017) at the rest area near Zanesville, Ohio.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:40 am 

Here is a photo of this 2-6-2 NG loco #2968 on a truck trailer at the rest stop near Zanesville, Ohio, on Friday, October 12, 2017.

John B. Corns

Attachments:
Byron RR loco on truck at I-70 rest stop 10-13-2017.jpg
Byron RR loco on truck at I-70 rest stop 10-13-2017.jpg [ 311.76 KiB | Viewed 10370 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:28 am 

Thank you, Mr. Corns, for posting this photo. It's the first really clear picture I've seen of one of these locomotives, and I have to say, it's a most interesting beast! Almost a model railroader's "kitbash" in terms of how it was built, but it's surprisingly well proportioned and looks quite plausible. It really does look like something that might have been on a midwestern two-footer had there been such a line--especially if this two-footer had been a Burlington subsidiary, similar to the one the Milwaukee had in three-foot gauge.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:25 am 

It's so CUTE! I want one!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:36 pm 

I wonder where she's headed for, and who the current (new?) owner is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:18 am 

misterwandle wrote:
Here is a photo of this 2-6-2 NG loco #2968 on a truck trailer at the rest stop near Zanesville, Ohio, on Friday, October 12, 2017.

John B. Corns

I'm curious, but did anyone find out where this one was headed?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:24 pm 

I was referred to this interchange from the Willock locomotive news interchange, so I'll share the same message and photo here.
While doing some genealogical research about my Hiatt relatives, I stumbled across this site (Railway Preservation News). Although I have little personal knowledge about engines, I was particularly interested in the posts related to Byron P. Hiatt of Creston, Iowa who operated a narrow gauge railway. He was a first cousin (once removed) of mine. The two engines he operated were named for himself Byron (#2967) and his brother Manford V. Hiatt (#2968). As has been mentioned in some of the other posts, Byron operated these as a recreational/tourist line. I thought perhaps the railway enthusiasts who have posted comments about these engines might enjoy seeing the attached picture of the Manford engine #2968 and Byron Hiatt, who is standing near the engine next to an unidentified woman. My father, Merle Jordan, also is in the picture at the far right. This photo was taken in the early 1950s.

If other RYPN members have information about Byron Hiatt or his trains that they can share, I'd be very happy to hear from them via this forum.

Attachments:
File comment: Byron P. Hiatt and Manford engine #2968
Byron Hiatt Rail Road.jpg
Byron Hiatt Rail Road.jpg [ 159.82 KiB | Viewed 9256 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:27 pm 

As of this date, both the Byron locomotives are in the possession of a private party in CA and are being restored to their original 'trench' configuration, including new boilers, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:27 pm 

That is kind of disappointing. I think they really are attractive park locomotives.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:49 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:
That is kind of disappointing. I think they really are attractive park locomotives.

It may be disappointing in one sense, but it's exciting in another... The only other preserved Davenport trench locomotive is on display in Fort Benning. Having two in working order in the US? Well that's something else all together, even if they aren't original... The Davenports were basically carbon copies of the Baldwin examples if my research has taught me anything (in fact an example was sent to Davenport before they started building their batch as a visual aid of some sort). The Vulcans are less so, differing in some cosmetic details that seem to have been simplified to speed up production (cabs, stacks, and the pilot deck), but everything else was otherwise identical dimension-wise to the plans they got from Baldwin.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:37 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:

I get the interest in what they are, but what there were is tremendous. Trench motive power has a made a striking impact in European railway preservation. There isn’t much trench stock left. Given the tremendous impact these little trains had on world history, I am quite excited about someone returning them to what they were at birth.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:12 pm 

R Cadd wrote:
As of this date, both the Byron locomotives are in the possession of a private party in CA and are being restored to their original 'trench' configuration, including new boilers, etc.

Thanks for sharing this update about these engines. While I'm sorry to hear that some of the work my cousin Byron Hiatt so passionately did (e.g. - boilers, etc.) may be removed, I understand that some folks may prefer to have them returned to their original form.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next