It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roundhouse Report from the Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 am 

Greetings!

The latest Roundhouse Report from the Age of Steam Roundhouse has been posted on our website. This update includes a number of exciting developments, many great photos and a short video!

Topics include:
• Morehead & North Fork 0-6-0 #12 fired-up as total rebuild nears completion
• Firebox work on LS&I 2-8-0 #33 almost finished
• Photos of Columbus & Southern Ohio Electric Co. 0-4-0F #2's trip to Sugarcreek
• Yreka Western 2-8-2 #19 in fresh paint and with a new identity
• GE shop switcher #2 is repainted and relettered for its original owner
• Three additional freight car restorations completed

Go to: http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=121

Thanks very much. Be safe.

Age of Steam Roundhouse
213 Smokey Lane Road S.W.
Sugarcreek, Ohio 44681

Post subject: Re: Roundhouse Report from the Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:17 am 

Terrific report and great progress. I'm sure Jerry Joe is looking down and smiling.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:25 am 

Excellent report and congrats on the completion of many hard tasks! Those restored equipment pieces look great

SUNY Polytechnic Institute Alumni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:57 am 

On the Roundhouse Reports they did a nice touch of resurrecting a old RR company name.

http://www.alleganyhistory.org/culture/ ... ry-history The Late Paul Pietrak wrote about the N.Y.& P. Rail Line.

Mr. Starr

Attachment:
nypa2_2.jpg
nypa2_2.jpg [ 61.56 KiB | Viewed 9653 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:38 pm 

Yes thank you for the updates. Wonderful to see the LS&I #33 getting finished up, as well as the 0-6-0 nearly complete. What a dream place to be in! Those thermic syphons look scary to build and fit. Congratulations on all the continued progress. Regards, John.

Last edited by John Risley on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:09 pm 

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding w/r to the GE 25 tonner #2. In this case the lettering refers to the New York & Pennsylvania Paper Co., Inc., of Johnsonburg, PA. This large mill had until 1971 a remote pulpwood storage yard and a 36" ga. line to haul wood from yard to mill. The motive power was a pair of 36" ga. GEs numbered 1 and 2, of which this is the latter. (#1 also exists somewhere too) They were orange with black lettering at the paper mill, but all steam enthusiasts know that locomotives are supposed to be black. Note the original link & pin coupler beneath the MCB coupler. The narrow and low cab was occasioned by various tight clearances on the line between yard and mill. The locos were built on standard gauge frames and both now operate in that mode.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:13 pm 

Most of the early diesels/non-steam were black, part of the culture vs the early steam which were colorific. Black covered a lot of sins and was more economical to take care of, but when newer diesels came about and run into passenger trains, that all changed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:31 am 

Love the updates on M&NF 12. But I do wonder if they might change the livery to it’s original owner every now and then. But I’m not here to critic what paint it’s in. I’m just glad to see an update. (Picture below is M&NF 12’s original paint and railroad, Southern 1643. Wish i knew where it was based.)

Attachments:
F9970A2B-5F02-40E7-8A0A-4C58E6B8CF0D.jpeg
F9970A2B-5F02-40E7-8A0A-4C58E6B8CF0D.jpeg [ 16.94 KiB | Viewed 8939 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:54 am 

Awesome progress from the guys at the shop. Jerry would be more then proud.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:09 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
Love the updates on M&NF 12. But I do wonder if they might change the livery to it’s original owner every now and then. But I’m not here to critic what paint it’s in. I’m just glad to see an update. (Picture below is M&NF 12’s original paint and railroad, Southern 1643. Wish i knew where it was based.)

Steamguy73 -

A couple of comments. First, concerning Southern 0-6-0 #1643. Somewhere, I saw photos of a bunch (maybe all) of the SR 0-6-0's. A couple of them were modified (modernized?) with headlight mounted in the center of the smokebox door, bell moved forward and one large sand dome instead of two separate ones. This was done by the Southern and NOT by M&NF. The photo you posted is small so a bit hard to see, but I think it's of the engine before the SR reworked it. A temporary relettering back to SR 1643 would by okay, but I'm glad that the engine will normally be painted as M&NF # 12.

Good to see the freight cars redone at AofS Roundhouse. Nice work! The ex-PRR coal hopper being repainted for the Montour shows the one letter reporting mark "M"; a rare thing in itself. I wonder about the P&LE covered hopper. Was it originally P&LE, or some other road before Ohio Central acquired it?

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:08 pm 

misterwandle wrote:
Greetings!

The latest Roundhouse Report from the Age of Steam Roundhouse has been posted on our website. This update includes a number of exciting developments, many great photos and a short video!

I am impressed by all the progress, but especially the freight car restorations. In particular, the P&LE covered hopper looks great! I would like to contact the person who created the stencils since we have need for an NYC logo for one of our projects at RGV.

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:17 pm 

Really great news all around! The count for operational Southern Railway steam engines has now increased to 5. That's pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:27 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Steamguy73 wrote:

Steamguy73 -

A couple of comments. First, concerning Southern 0-6-0 #1643. Somewhere, I saw photos of a bunch (maybe all) of the SR 0-6-0's. A couple of them were modified (modernized?) with headlight mounted in the center of the smokebox door, bell moved forward and one large sand dome instead of two separate ones. This was done by the Southern and NOT by M&NF. The photo you posted is small so a bit hard to see, but I think it's of the engine before the SR reworked it. A temporary relettering back to SR 1643 would by okay, but I'm glad that the engine will normally be painted as M&NF # 12.

Les

I found the site which listed a bunch of photos of Southern Railway steam, but not ALL of the 0-6-0's. I was mistaken that there is a photo of ex-SR #1643 there as rebuilt. What IS there is a photo of sister #1642, and she sure looks exactly like 1643, now Morehead & North Fork #12. Here's one of the photos from that site:

http://southern.railfan.net/images/arch ... 1642a.html

The photo of SR 1642 was taken at Burnside, Kentucky in July of 1950. Probably 1643 was also redone by the Southern, around the same time as 1642 was. OR...is it possible M&NF is REALLY number 1642 and not 1643?

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:36 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:
Steamguy73 -

Les

I found the site which listed a bunch of photos of Southern Railway steam, but not ALL of the 0-6-0's. I was mistaken that there is a photo of ex-SR #1643 there as rebuilt. What IS there is a photo of sister #1642, and she sure looks exactly like 1643, now Morehead & North Fork #12. Here's one of the photos from that site:

http://southern.railfan.net/images/arch ... 1642a.html

The photo of SR 1642 was taken at Burnside, Kentucky in July of 1950. Probably 1643 was also redone by the Southern, around the same time as 1642 was. OR...is it possible M&NF is REALLY number 1642 and not 1643?

Les

Locomotive parts are usually marked with the engine number. I am sure that someone at the AoS can tell which one it is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:50 pm 

"...OR...is it possible M&NF is REALLY number 1642 and not 1643?" -- Les

Nope.

"Locomotive parts are usually marked with the engine number. I am sure that someone at the AoS can tell which one it is." -- hamster

Yep. The boiler's original builder's plate serial number indicates that this loco was Southern Ry. #1643.

John B. Corns
Age of Steam Roundhouse