It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Would you be interested in a restoration of 722?
Yes 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
No 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Southern 722: Could she be restored and would it be worth it
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:47 am 

Hello there. It's me again. the Thomas the Tank Engine fan who thought "Spam Can" referred only to Diesel D199. Anyhow, I'm here to talk about an excursion star from Southern's old Steam Program, Southern 722. Her sister 630, is operational at TVRM, while 722 sits dismantled out in the open at the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad in my home and current state of residence of North Carolina. I've had it in the idea in the back of my mind to try and start some sort of "Fire Up" or "Friends of" campaign to try and restore the 722. considering how most of y'all canned me with my idea to build a new Y6-B, would a restoration of 722 be worth it?

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

Post subject: Re: Southern 722: Could she be restored and would it be wort
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:21 pm 

Well, what can you tell us about the locomotive?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:32 pm 

Back when it was announced that the restoration of #1702 was restarting the restoration and the installation of two turntables was well publicized. It was my understanding at the time that #722 was supposed to be next. I can't find the article to confirm if that was the actual announcement or just my assumption. There is certainly a great deal of interest in seeing the 722 run, and unlike a hypothetical new built, it has a home to stretch its wheels.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:52 pm 

Of course it can be restored. Would be a ton of work though. Same questions go...
where will work be done? Are you trying to buy it ? Or just fund raise for GSMR?

It would need more work than 630 did at this point. Probably would end up being more new metal than old. It deserves better than rusting away in the weeds. Even if GSMR just put it back together, painted it and put it on display it would be win at this point.

722 is a good bit heavier than 1702.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:58 pm 

I'd donate to that cause, as to me, it'll always be known as ET&WNC 208...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:59 pm 

derail wrote:
Back when it was announced that the restoration of #1702 was restarting the restoration and the installation of two turntables was well publicized. It was my understanding at the time that #722 was supposed to be next.

Currently their FAQ's page says there are no current plans to restore 722. http://www.gsmr.com/train-FAQ#what-kind ... ot-running

It's a good idea, but since the locomotive is owned by the line; any volunteer group would have to show they the financial backing to undertake such a project, and the GSMR does not have a good history of finding groups with such wherewithal. http://www.gsmr.com/about/news/letter-m ... rk0-ogbM_4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:07 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Could we actually confirm who owns 722? GSMR, the Asheville NRHS, or whom?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:16 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Could we actually confirm who owns 722? GSMR, the Asheville NRHS, or whom?

Everything I can find online including a post from here; indicates that GSMR bought 722 outright in 2000.
http://rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f= ... wrapheader
Quote:
#722 was always owned by Southern/NS after being re-acquired from the ET&WNC. During the end-days of the NS excursion era, she was on "permanent loan" to the Asheville Chapter-NRHS from the railroad. When the chapter had to abandon its museum plans, #722 would have been homeless.

GSMR then purchased the locomotive from NS, and it was moved from the Asheville display track to the Murphy Branch. So, in short, GSMR has owned the engine outright.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:29 pm 

Pretty sure the city sold or donated it to GSMR. Pretty ridiculous to donate something then it basically be abandoned.

Wayyyyy more work than restoring 1702

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:14 pm 

Glad I got to ride it back in 1979 on what I believe was it's only off-NS excursion on the Reading & Northern branch. Photo taken at Pocopson, PA. I know, the passenger green isn't "authentic", but it sure looked nice.

Attachments:
179B0960.JPG
179B0960.JPG [ 88.08 KiB | Viewed 8702 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:43 am 

Mount Royal wrote:
Well, what can you tell us about the locomotive?

Southern 722 was built by The Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1904 Being used on the Southern's Murphy Branch until it's inevitable retirement in November 1952. The Locomotive was then purchased by the ET&WNC "Tweetsie" Railroad and was renumbered 208 until Southern bought them back in exchange for 2 RS-3's. The Locomotive was then retired from excursion service in 1985 due to her boiler ticket expiring, and was then shuttled around from display site to display site until eventually ending up in the hands of the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad where it's sat dismantled since.
sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Railway_722

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 am 

CA1 wrote:
Of course it can be restored. Would be a ton of work though. Same questions go...
where will work be done? Are you trying to buy it ? Or just fund raise for GSMR?

It would need more work than 630 did at this point. Probably would end up being more new metal than old. It deserves better than rusting away in the weeds. Even if GSMR just put it back together, painted it and put it on display it would be win at this point.

I'd say trying to buy it, hopefully the GSMR would be able to sell it to me at a cheap price.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 am 

CA1 wrote:

I'd say trying to buy it, hopefully the GSMR would be able to sell it to me at a cheap price.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:47 am 

p51 wrote:
I'd donate to that cause, as to me, it'll always be known as ET&WNC 208...

I'm a Tweetsie Fan myself, thanks to this old girl: Image
but if I do manage to form a trust, I'll probably keep 722 in her Southern colors.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:48 am 

WVNorthern wrote:
Glad I got to ride it back in 1979 on what I believe was it's only off-NS excursion on the Reading & Northern branch. Photo taken at Pocopson, PA. I know, the passenger green isn't "authentic", but it sure looked nice.

I am a fan of that green.