It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Indiana Transportation Museum
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:05 pm 

The Indiana Transportation Museum began scrapping equipment at the park in Noblesville, Indiana on Monday. An excavator was moved in and has started ripping former Chicago "L" cars apart.

The only question that remains, is how far they will go.

Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:43 pm 

It also appears they were hit with a severe case of vandalism only two weeks earlier.

https://thetimes24-7.com/Content/News/L ... /1/1/58471

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:02 pm 

From what I was told, they would scrap every piece of equipment on the property before they let Noblesville or that new scam operation get one bit of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:29 pm 

Yenko Stinger wrote:
From what I was told, they would scrap every piece of equipment on the property before they let Noblesville or that new scam operation get one bit of it.

That's such a mature attitude from those in charge at ITM. Really speaks well for the longevity of the operation.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:33 pm 

Are they scrapping these cranes?

Orton 15 tons Diesel 1961
Purdue University Purdue, IN
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1400230
Ohio 25 tons Diesel 1950
Alcoa #4

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:08 pm 

What about their operational diesels and 587? Are they going to get scrapped too?

Thomas

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:15 pm 

Trainkid456 wrote:
What about their operational diesels and 587? Are they going to get scrapped too?

Thomas

Who knows at this point. There no longer appear to be rational adults in charge at ITM, just petulant children.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:18 pm 

From what i have learned, the ITM has brought this on themselves. I'm afraid that there is nothing that we can do, and we will just have to move on and keep the ITMs amazing collection of railroad history in memory. I hope this day never came...

Connor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:18 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
Yenko Stinger wrote:

That's such a mature attitude from those in charge at ITM. Really speaks well for the longevity of the operation.

I'll point out that their equipment stands to get ripped away from them by this whole scummy maneuver by Noblesville and this new operator. As much as none of us want to see equipment get scrapped, what's to stop the new operator from doing that anyway? And keep in mind, that new operator is gunning to use equipment that basically stands to be seized from ITM, and much of it probably can't quickly be removed from the site... Whether it needs to be trucked or they can't get it moved out by rail for one reason or another is up in the air. ITM has basically lost the fight in Noblesville, but they don't have to hand the city a win. A scorched earth policy is probably one of the only cards left they can viably play at this point, while denying Noblesville their victory. Doesn't mean that the lot of us have to like it in the mean time... But if anything we keep seeing this pattern. Local government turns on the railroad museum, museum gets crushed under the government's heel. Pemberton, Catskill Mountain Railroad, Adirondack Scenic to an extent, ITM... As a whole I think the entire preservation community really needs to develop some rock-solid tactics to respond to these assaults, otherwise we'll keep losing.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:23 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
Yenko Stinger wrote:

I have no involvement with the ITM, but I could see this coming for sometime. This has become a case of "if we can not have it, then no one else is going too".

Those incharge, are doing what they want, not what is best for the equipment.

Someone needs to step in and get an injunction to stop the scrapping of the equipment, make the ITM present a plan, or the court step in and appoint someone to find responsible parties to save the equipment.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:28 pm 

What happened to the proposed move to Logansport (or was it some other place)?

They've known about the upcoming eviction for awhile, couldn't they have come up with a better solution than to scrap everything?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:30 pm 

"I'll point out that their equipment stands to get ripped away from them by this whole scummy maneuver by Noblesville and this new operator. As much as none of us want to see equipment get scrapped, what's to stop the new operator from doing that anyway? And keep in mind, that new operator is gunning to use equipment that basically stands to be seized from ITM"

I would be very careful as per what you say about the new operator! Check what slander is, if you need to, use the dictionary.

The new operator has already purchased several pieces of equipment for their operation and has leased 2 road locomotives.

So, just what do they need the ITM equipment for?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:39 pm 

daylight4449 wrote:
ITM has basically lost the fight in Noblesville, but they don't have to hand the city a win. A scorched earth policy is probably one of the only cards left they can viably play at this point, while denying Noblesville their victory.

With all due respect, I think you may be on the wrong site. This is Railway Preservation News. You're looking for RyIMoINN.org, "Railway It's Mine or It's Nobody's News". That's where to commend a "scorched earth policy" winning out over stewardship.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:41 pm 

AlcoC420 wrote:
The new operator has already purchased several pieces of equipment for their operation and has leased 2 road locomotives.

So, just what do they need the ITM equipment for?

If memory serves, that was the original plan. Now something could've changed or I might be mistaken, but I thought that was in one of the articles that came out from the local news sites...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:51 pm 

Scrapping enough to pay for a move??