It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Santa Maria Valley Railroad 2-8-2 No. 21 Restoration
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:16 am 

I can't recall if anyone here has brought this up before, but this Mikado is under restoration in California. Another one of these projects happening "under the radar" so to speak.

http://www.astoriarailroad.org/steam/Baldwin.html

There are some recent photos of the project on Facebook as well:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/977960665616322/permalink/1728603937218654/

Post subject: Re: Santa Maria Valley Railroad 2-8-2 No. 21 Restoration
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:58 am 

Rick, I believe that the 21 has been in Astoria, OR for some time and undergoing a slow restoration. The late Jack Neville & I saw her tender outside while on a May 2014 trip.

Plans were to operate her in passenger service on the former SP&S line that runs along the Columbia River.

Nice sized locomotive...a near twin the Sierra RR. 2-8-2 34, but with 50" drivers vs. 46".

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:23 am 

Tom -

Yes Oregon, not California. I saw the tender too when the wife and I went through Astoria a number of years ago. Looked real good. Hadn't realized that SMV # 21 was being restored there or I would have looked for the building where the work was being done. According to the Facebook page, it appears that the restoration is still ongoing.

Astoria has a streetcar that runs with a generator towed behind for power. When I was there, I figured that the two stall building seen on the Facebook page was for that streetcar operation. The restoration group apparently uses the Quonset hut building shown in the photos. I am not sure exactly where that was in relation to the track used for the streetcar trips. Or if there is a track out of the Quonset hut leading over to active rail.

Les

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:03 pm 

I checked out their Facebook page, where they have a photo of the engine's Baldwin builder's plate. Serial # 58368.

One of the Disney narrow gauge Baldwins in SoCal has the number 58367 - one digit off!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:51 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Tom -

Yes Oregon, not California. I saw the tender too when the wife and I went through Astoria a number of years ago. ...

The restoration group apparently uses the Quonset hut building shown in the photos. I am not sure exactly where that was in relation to the track used for the streetcar trips. Or if there is a track out of the Quonset hut leading over to active rail.

Les

You were quite close to it when you saw the tender, probably 100 feet away, if that. The Quonset Hut has no rail connection, the tender is about as close to the shop as it can get on live track (or it was when I saw it last anyway.) It's not far at all from the streetcar barn, same general area. Tucked in next the main street through town.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:32 am 

Here is the history of the #21:

#21 2-8-2 Baldwin C/N 58368 1925 19x26 88 tons
Santa Maria Valley RR #21 Santa Maria, CA
Shasta-McCloud Steam Rail Tourist Assn. 1966
Dave Morgan (stored) San Rafael, CA
Puget Sound Ry Historical Assn. Snoqualmie, WA 1978
Astoria Railroad Preservation Assn. Astoria, OR 1991

The locomotive was never used at McCloud due to boiler pitting. Snoqualmie would have been better off if they had never heard of this engine.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:07 am 

John T wrote:

The locomotive was never used at McCloud due to boiler pitting.

So what is the current plan then? How are they dealing with the pitting? Is it localized where they can replace certain sections?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:14 pm 

I would like to hear where they are on the boiler too. I think in the mid 2000 or so they were going like gang busters on the boiler. Think they put in a new firebox. They did some extensive boiler work at the time. You can see some of the repairs in pictures on the web site. Was alway hoping this one would find successful completion. They had a team of people who were very dedicated and were making progress on the boiler work. Then I quit hearing about them? Thought this SMV #21 and Sierra #34 were awesome shortline/logging mikes. Don't know how they preformed back in the day but aesthetically speaking I think they are great looking locomotives. Also about the perfect size for many applications. Hopefully more info will come in? Regards, John.