It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hawaii X-23?
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:08 am 

Watched Hawaii 5-0 last week and they had a gun fight in an old rail yard and in it were what looked like a pair of X-23 (externally braced) box cars. I recall reading that they are putting a tourist line back together on the island, so are these cars in their yard?

Thanks!
Mr. Ed

Post subject: Re: Hawaii X-23?
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:13 am 

Filmed in Los Angeles?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:32 am 

That’s part of the Hawaiian Railway Society’s yard on Oahu, adjacent to the former OR&L mainline. They’ve indicated this filming took place sometime back on their social media. Neat place to visit if you’re there.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:36 am 

According to the Internet Movie Data Base, the most recent episode of Hawaii 50 which aired on May 4, 2018, was shot in Oahu, HI.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:31 am 

SR6900 wrote:
That’s part of the Hawaiian Railway Society’s yard on Oahu, adjacent to the former OR&L mainline. They’ve indicated this filming took place sometime back on their social media. Neat place to visit if you’re there.

Thanks!
Mr. Ed

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:21 am 

The ouside-braced boxcars at the Hawaiian Railway Society's yard are fomrer U.S. military cars that were used by the US Navy between Pearl Harbor and its ammunition storage facility. The Navy used part of the former Oahu Railroad and part of that is used by the Society.

The outside-braced boxcars carry a plate that says:
Attachment:
File comment: Photo taken Feb 28, 2017
boxcar plate.jpg
boxcar plate.jpg [ 51.77 KiB | Viewed 7340 times ]

If you are interested in the 3-foot gauge military operations on Oahu Island there are two books put out by Arcadia Publishing. Both are by Jeff Livingston who is a member of the Hawaii Railway Society. These are Oahu's Narrow-Gauge Navy Rail and Oahu's Narrow-Gauge Army Rail.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:29 am 

Thanks. I love it when you can get answers to questions like this. This is what keeps me coming back to the site.

Later!
Mr. Ed

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:40 am 

Do drawings of these cars exist?

Thanks

C.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:38 pm 

As far as other lines on Hawaii go, there is the Lahaina- Kanapaali train on Maui with a Porter Steam engine. There is also the Kilohana Ranch train on Kauai with a GE 0-4-0 switcher.
I have read there is a RR museum on the Big Island, but have not visited it. I will try to visit it in November.
Thanks for the info. I found out we will be in Oahu on a day they run the train!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:20 pm 

Bowmore wrote:
I have read there is a RR museum on the Big Island,

You are referring to the Laupahoehoe Railroad Museum. https://www.thetrainmuseum.com/

It's located in the former Laupahoehoe stationmaster's house. The depot is long gone but the concrete platform is still there on the edge of Hawaii County hiway 19, a lot of which for the first 40 miles or so north of Hilo was built on the original Hilo Railroad right-of-way. Hilo RR/Hawaii Consolidated RR was the only standard gauge railroad in the Hawaiian Islands. Photo is of a caboose on display on a leg of the former wye at Laupahoehoe. There is also a 3-foot gauge gas mechanical loco and one of the US Navy's 3-foot gauge ammunition box cars on this short length of track.

As you drive around the big island, you can still see a few remnants of the many narrow gauge sugar plantation railroads, especially on the north Kohala coast, some of which lasted into the mid-1950s.

Thanks!

Attachments:
Hawaii Consolidated RR caboose Laupahoehoe Hawaii County 1-27-2015.jpg
Hawaii Consolidated RR caboose Laupahoehoe Hawaii County 1-27-2015.jpg [ 287.81 KiB | Viewed 6755 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hawaii Thank you
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:23 pm 

Dear Mr. Ed,
Thank you for the info. I looked at their website and they have a 25 ton GE switcher similar to ours. I contacted the restoration manager, and he sent me a copy of the GE parts manual. In return, I sent him the Army TM that someone at RPN had sent me.
I will be visiting them in November, and am looking forward to meeting the people.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:57 am 

You're welcome. Glad you were able to get that manual since I have followed your challenges with the engine.

Later!
Mr. Ed