It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doe River George Getting a Crown Steamer?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:35 am 

A comment over on the Park, Zoo & Amusement Train Rides Facebook page states that the 36" gauge Crown that has been on display at the Huntsville, AL Depot Museum for several years is getting restored and moved to the Doe River George (former ET&WNC) operation in Hampton, TN.

Anyone know anything about this? If recall right, this operation tried to restore a 2-4-2 Vulcan several years ago but found the costs of completely replacing a "unique" homemade boiler that had been put on by a former amusement parker owner to be too much.

Post subject: Re: Doe River George Getting a Crown Steamer?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:48 am 

There has been a Crown there for some time and it is currently under restoration.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:56 am 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
There has been a Crown there for some time and it is currently under restoration.

Is it being restored on site at the Christian camp or is Tweetsie doing the work? The camps website makes no mention of the steamer even though the regularly update on their progress for other projects.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:01 pm 

It's my understanding that the restoration is being done by volunteers/members on the railway portion of the Christian Camp. Money would be coming from the camp.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:21 pm 

Here are some images they posted on their website early last year.

I saw it again in November during their fall foliage excursions they do each year. Since these pictures, considerable work has been done on the tender in particular.

Also, I believe I read somewhere that the boiler work was completed elsewhere. I don't know by whom or where. Don't quote me on this though.

And they DO accept donations for the rail projects and upkeep at DRG! The group of people at DRG are wonderful people and certainly deserve support from the preservation community. And who wouldn't enjoy steam in the gorge once again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:59 pm 

bbaker wrote:
Here are some images they posted on their website early last year.

Thank you for posting these photos! I've never seen a Crown stripped down like this, revealing the stepped firebox.

In this form, she has surprisingly good lines. A somewhat different jacketing job and a gentler taper than what Crown typically provided, and perhaps a somewhat altered cab would transform one of these locomotives. And if she comes out as a coal burner, she'll even smell right!!

Let's wish this group the best on this project.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:33 pm 

Does anyone know the story of how this Crown was obtained by DRG? Did it belong to the City of Huntsville, Alabama? How did it wind up at the Huntsville Depot Museum in the first place?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:34 pm 

A little more info can be found in this older issue of the ET&WNC Historical Society newsletter.

See bottom of page 6.

http://www.etwncrrhs.org/objects/july2017newsletterweb.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:42 pm 

Was Pioneer & Western no 3 built in 1967,then Carowinds Railroad no 3. In NC untill mid 70s sold to South of Boarder Railroad SC along with Carowinds No2 then both then went to Vermont then No 2reBuilt went to Neverland ,No3 was Sold went to Huntsville now to Doe River george.owned by Church group.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:07 pm 

The 2-4-2 vulcan that was operated on the railroad called Hillbilly world owned by Doe River Gorge Family entertainment.The Engine had worked in a quarry it was reboilered but never operated well after that .This operation was deeper in Doe river george.Only lasted a few years the locomotive was look at for restoration was taken to Tweetsie shop for evaluation that's the last I heard. The Doe River operation ran by the volunteers now, did use the Crown engine from Opryland for a few years known as Rachael but it was on owned loan and was sold and trucked away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:45 pm 

Rachel isn't a Crown,she is a converted tank engine rebuilt by Keystone Light Railways.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:43 pm 

Tarheelrrds wrote:
The 2-4-2 vulcan that was operated on the railroad called Hillbilly world owned by Doe River Gorge Family entertainment.The Engine had worked in a quarry it was reboilered but never operated well after that .This operation was deeper in Doe river george.Only lasted a few years the locomotive was look at for restoration was taken to Tweetsie shop for evaluation that's the last I heard. The Doe River operation ran by the volunteers now, did use the Crown engine from Opryland for a few years known as Rachael but it was on owned loan and was sold and trucked away.

The older 2-4-2 Vulcan had too many tubes and not enough storage for steam, the boiler was full off tubes.

Rachael was a Vulcan and went back to Nashville and then was sold, the last information I had was that she was at the Grapevine in Texas. There is a hidden lock bolt on the firing valve of this engine, look carefully under the handle.

The volunteer crew that is there now are not the ones that ran Rachael, there is one fellow that has been coming by for 15 years or so to help with what ever can be done with track and car work. This fellow has done a little bit of everything and did some with Rachael as well, A locally well known person is spearheading this project and I do wish them well in getting this engine going. Slow, steady and quietly they work one piece at a time.

I elected to not name anyone out of respect and privacy.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:55 am 

Sounds Great! I've not been up to the Gorge, but I do hope to one day being a big fan of the Tweetsie! Where did you hear about this?

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:25 pm 

I know that for a while, it was considered that if a steam locomotive ever got up there for good, it'd be painted as ET&WNC number 15.
Any word on this crown being painted as such? If so, I assume the green and gold 'anniversary' paint going on her, or has any decision been made about that yet?
tweetsie12 wrote:
Sounds Great! I've not been up to the Gorge, but I do hope to one day being a big fan of the Tweetsie! Where did you hear about this?

You might want to join the ET&WNC Historical Society.
http://www.etwncrrhs.org/linkspage.html

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:40 pm 

p51 wrote:
I know that for a while, it was considered that if a steam locomotive ever got up there for good, it'd be painted as ET&WNC number 15.
Any word on this crown being painted as such? If so, I assume the green and gold 'anniversary' paint going on her, or has any decision been made about that yet?

My understanding was that the volunteer staff wanted to do a Tweetsie scheme but the management of the Christian camp that owns everything wanted to do something else. Their idea was to paint it in some kind of bright blue and red amusement park scheme. The volunteers managed to convince them to paint it something closely to what the "Eureka" looks like instead.