All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canton, Ohio to auction off W&LE #3960
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:11 pm 

A very interesting article in the June 11, 2018 Canton Repository newspaper:
Train once stored at Mother Gooseland heading for sale

An earlier RYPN thread about the engine: W&LE 3960 bought by the age of steam

Post subject: Re: Canton, Ohio to auction off W&LE #3960
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:19 pm 

Canton wouldn't give enough support to the CVSR 5 years ago to keep excursion service running to Canton. Now they've decided to be concerned about the Wheeling 0-6-0 after the situtation with it appeared to have been satisfactorily resolved. I think anyone reading this who lives in Canton might want to get involved with their elected leaders and try and educate them on rail-related issues. I know some there are still PO'd about loosing their Amtrak service in 1990, but it's time to move on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:20 pm 

Well, that's an interesting turn of events. Sounds similar to the issues with the KCS 503 in Port Arthur and the ATSF 3463 in Topeka. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. Wonder if the AOS folks will try to recover the investment that they've made in obtaining the locomotive?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:31 pm 

Charlie wrote:
Sounds similar to the issues with the KCS 503 in Port Arthur
Especially this part:
Quote:
Officials said the train is beyond the city's ability to repair but cannot be sold outright. State law requires municipalities to sell valuable unwanted property to the highest bidder, but Canton can stipulate that the buyer has to restore the train.
I assume Texas has similar laws.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:13 pm 

Well, since the KCS 503 was essentially sold for scrap, my guess is that Texas doesn't have those kind of laws. Sure wish they did.

The idea of a seller putting stipulations that a buyer must fulfill has come up in the past. The gist has been that the buyer has no obligation to fulfill whatever stipulations the seller puts on the item. Once the buyer has clear title to it then he can do whatever he wants with it.

Another issue is what constitutes a "restoration"? Are we talking about hiring Wasatch to do one of their first class jobs on it or slapping a coat of Rustoleum gloss black on it?

Regardless, I hope that the issues can be resolved and the 3960 winds up with AOS. It deserves a break.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:54 pm 

Charlie wrote:
Another issue is what constitutes a "restoration"? Are we talking about hiring Wasatch to do one of their first class jobs on it or slapping a coat of Rustoleum gloss black on it?

I suspect that they would be happy with a cosmetic restoration and that the goal is simply to not have it be scrapped.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:07 pm 

We have guys on this board who should know better that call nothing more than a paint job a restoration.

Ohio isn't Texas.

Looks as if a lot of disassembly has been done already - best case scenario, they conclude the transfer to Age of Steam. I'm not at all clear as to exactly how the original transfer to the defunct group that then transferred it to Age of Steam results in the city owning it again........ or why they now believe they want to retain it. It's obviously not abandoned property.