It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Returning an RSD1 to Service
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:22 pm 

ORHS is looking at the possibility of returning our RSD1 to service. If we can get it to run, we'll hang onto it as backup to our GP7u and add it to our restoration list. It last ran maybe 10-12 years ago or so. Since none of us are Alco experts and only one has a bit of experience with a 539T, we've been gathering up as much applicable data as we can find, mostly on the RS1, and I think we're getting somewhat of a decent handle on the mechanics involved and the repairs/procedures needed before we try to turn it over.

Couple questions:

Can anyone supply a current manufacturer/model number for the oil filter cartridge? I think it should be the same as used on the RS1 and S2.

Is there a replacement source for the canvas turbo inlet venturi "box" or is this a make-yer-own kinda repair? Ours is deteriorated and torn.

I'll probably have more questions as we get further into this.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Returning an RSD1 to Service
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:21 pm 

You might contact Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum. We used to have two RSD-1s in service.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:07 am 

You may want to try and get in contact with Don Colangelo at the Delaware Lackawanna railroad. He is a huge resource of ALCO information and if he doesn't know it he can probably point you in the right direction.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:01 pm 

Or you can just talk to me. I have an operable S-2 which takes many of the same filters and parts. I went through this 3 years ago with the 777.

When should I come out to Orville?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:59 am 

It's been over ten years since I last visited TVRM. What became of those two RSD-1's which saw considerable service during their days at the museum?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:14 pm 

Thanks guys. I forgot that TVRM has one - I think the second one is used as a parts source if I remember???

All I have to have right now is the oil filter number. We can make do with a couple of bandaids just to see if she'll start, stay running and move a bit. If successful, then we can really dig into it and invest a bit of cash to make it reliable. It will have to stay ugly for a while - paint isn't high on the list.

Rick - If we get stumped, we would certainly like to borrow your expertise since you're not really that far away. I would assume the startup attempt would happen a little later this summer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:08 am 

The oil filter(s) are the same as the S1-S4. The RSD1 needs 2 of them.

Wix 51297
Baldwin P1511
NAPA 1297

PM me if you have specific questions. We have a couple of S2's and an RSD1 that we keep running.

Jimmy
North Alabama Railroad Museum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:26 am 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
Or you can just talk to me. I have an operable S-2 which takes many of the same filters and parts. I went through this 3 years ago with the 777.

When should I come out to Orville?

They could, but how would that be sharing information with the rest of us in the forum? You've resurrected an Alco S switcher. Seems like a good article for the front page, and a list of consumables (filters) that you found that work with it would be in order.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 am 

If your group requires 539 service and parts manuals; I have them. I also have a ALCO RS-1 wiring schematic which will help. Contact me off this forum for further info.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:12 pm 

FYI.
Orange Empire has a couple RSD-1 locomotives that were once at the DOT test site at Pueblo, Colorado. These were DOT-12 and DOT-15 and became utility collection locomotives OERM 1956 and 1975. DOT-12 was one of the pre-war locomotives (one of the two ex-Tennessee Coal & Coke locomotives) that the military took over.

The OERM numbers are for significant years in its corporate history.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:31 pm 

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I'll hang on to them for a reference.

Couple questions on the fuel side of things:
On the duplex filter on the suction side of the booster pump, are there cartridge-type replacements elements for the filter media? If not, what exactly is the media?

On the fuel filter/strainer on the discharge side of the booster pump, is there an updated replacement for the stack of felt filter rings?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:47 pm 

The Alco S-4 that I once maintained had a duplex filter assembly, like you describe, that was manufactured by Nugent. NAPA used to carry replacement cartridges, but discontinued them, many years ago. Believe the NAPA number was 3506 or possibly 3605. Either way, I haven't been able to get them for years. I re-plumbed that part of the system for a spin-on filter assembly.

It's much quicker, and far-less-messy to replace the spin-on type. The originals would invariably spill quantities of fuel all over, when you opened them up.

JR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:55 pm 

Check here for options....

http://www.clarkfilter.com/railroad/overview.aspx

http://www.clarkfilter.com/_upPdfs/Clar ... ossRef.pdf

Fred.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:26 am 

does this mean that ORHS is keeping the RSD1 and unlike selling it like all their other equipment?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:14 am 

steamfan765 wrote:
does this mean that ORHS is keeping the RSD1 and unlike selling it like all their other equipment?

We're on the fence. Our current thinking: If someone wants to buy it, fine. If it will run, we'll likely keep it. That's why I'm looking into what it needs before we try to fire it up. Same with some other pieces.

To dispel rumors before they start.... We're not selling off everything, just paring things down to a manageable level so we can invest into upgrades to our properties.