Restoration is basically complete

Attachment:
4506.jpg
4506.jpg [ 343.03 KiB | Viewed 6886 times ]

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/662213/

Jeff

Post subject: Re: Rock Island GP-7R 4506 at IRM
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:49 pm 

Well done, I feel like I am back in 1977 when I first noticed trains. Could it be run if you wanted to?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:38 am 

PMC wrote:
Could it be run if you wanted to?

It was running when that picture was taken yesterday morning.

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:30 pm 

Awesome work there! That Rock paint scheme is one of my favorites.

I've been wanting to ask this as I'm not understanding how IRM's policy works with equipment and storage. I see they say that a piece has to pay for the track space it's on and also indoor storage. They also raise separate funding it appears to raise the barns. So, for example, if I donated 1k to AS-416 606 (which currently sits outside) does that go torwards it's outdoor track, indoor track (barn space/repay the barn funds?), cosmetic work, or mechanical/electrical work to make it operational again? Now I do understand pieces have their own accounts but do they need to get to the level of covering indoor storage before any thought of serious cosmetic or operational restoration is commenced?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:32 pm 

MEC_557 wrote:
If I donated 1k to AS-416 606 (which currently sits outside) does that go torwards it's outdoor track, indoor track (barn space/repay the barn funds?), cosmetic work, or mechanical/electrical work to make it operational again? Now I do understand pieces have their own accounts but do they need to get to the level of covering indoor storage before any thought of serious cosmetic or operational restoration is commenced?

I do not have easy access to the fund records for C&G 606 (or any other equipment for that matter), but, considering the decades that have elapsed since it arrived, I would certainly think that the basic track space has been paid for. Any funds collected for the 606 since then were, or are to be, used at the department curators discretion, for the 606.

By long standing museum policy, "outdoor" track (and any moving expenses) gets paid for 1st, before any restoration.

Most equipment gets it's barn space paid for before serious cosmetic work, but while this is logical (why leave all that hard labor outside to weather and rot?), it is NOT a requirement. Barn space is available only when a new barn goes up, so this may result in a restricted fund where some funds are being 'banked' to put the equipment indoors when the space becomes available.

Operational or mechanical restoration happens as required or desired for each piece of equipment, and (again) it is logical but not required to do the mechanical work before the cosmetic, to avoid scarring up the fresh paint.

IRM also has generic "equipment restoration", and "indoor storage" funds for each department, used at the department curators discretion.

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:15 pm 

Jdelhaye, will all the barns be open to the public in the future?
(Can non-public barns be toured with a guide?)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:49 am 

Having pushed to acquired the Columbus and Greenville 606 I would strongly suggest a donation to the Baldwin. Like all equipment at Irm worthy of preservation outdoor storage just destroys the equipment. The engine is one of only a few Baldwin AS-416 left. It is not in operating condition but needs to be stored inside along side its brother centercab MNS 21 which is currently stored in barn 14.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 pm 

Regarding your question of open barns to the public; barns 10, 11, 13 and 14. Currently those barns are not open to for public viewing based on current county regulations. But if you ask a working member/volunteer they will happily unlock the building for your private viewing. Maybe this county policy might change in the future but right now Irm must obey the regulations afforded to the museum. Just for added information, Irm is currently soliciting donations to build the next barn[15] and the Steam roundhouse. As always mark your donations to Barn 15 fund and/or Steam Roundhouse fund . Thanks Roger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:29 pm 

The Rock Island restoration is beautiful, the volunteers should be proud!

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:45 pm 

Folks,
I am more of an electric person than a Diesel guy; but I am glad that parts are coming for the Louisville & Nashville #314 FA-2. Covered wagons are neat and also my grandfather worked on that railroad.

Even if I most likely rode behind it on the Long Island Railroad, while I commuted into Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn. Push me, Pull me to Port Jefferson.

I would not be surprised if they IRM has the largest and most varied Diesel collection in the country. They have an Alco Diesel traveling from New Jersey to Union.

Now how about some of those B-Units?

Ted Miles, IRM Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 pm 

is it just me, or has this thread gone off the rails over the last 2 days?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:21 pm 

Jdelhaye wrote:
is it just me, or has this thread gone off the rails over the last 2 days?

I think it is just admiration for what you are doing there, and I too am excited about the FA, but I can understand not liking the pressure about "What's next?".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:15 pm 

4506 made its debut at IRM Saturday.

Photos: https://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2018/07/rock-island-debut.html

Video: https://youtu.be/Mnls_htvKGY

Chuck Amstein

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:30 pm 

SteveC wrote:
NS 3322 wrote:
What happened to the GTW RS1 #1951?

I forgot to add that one to the list. As far as I know, that last time I have seen it, it was in Barn 9. I don't think it is in operable condition.

Steve

My understanding is that it is privately owned* and has a broken crankshaft. I know a replacement crankshaft was found for free but the owner was not interested in making arrangements to obtain same. (Personally I don't understand that mindset if the needed part to make it operational was free?!?) I believe very little work has been done to 1951 since it's arrival at Union. About the best thing that can be said about it is that it has been stored inside for many years so at least it's not decaying outside.

1951 is historically significant as it was the very last RS1 built - would be nice to see it run again someday. However, IRM's Diesel Department has plenty of other projects to keep them occupied in any event...

*IRM has not allowed privately owned equipment to be part of the museum collection for years now but they allowed it in the long ago past. 1951 and other existing privately owned pieces onsite were grandfathered in when the new policy of all equipment at IRM must be museum property went into effect.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:49 pm 

Robert J wrote:
SteveC wrote:
NS 3322 wrote:
What happened to the GTW RS1 #1951?

I forgot to add that one to the list. As far as I know, that last time I have seen it, it was in Barn 9. I don't think it is in operable condition.

Steve

My understanding is that it is privately owned* and has a broken crankshaft. I know a replacement crankshaft was found for free but the owner was not interested in making arrangements to obtain same. (Personally I don't understand that mindset if the needed part to make it operational was free?!?) I believe very little work has been done to 1951 since it's arrival at Union. About the best thing that can be said about it is that it has been stored inside for many years so at least it's not decaying outside.

1951 is historically significant as it was the very last RS1 built - would be nice to see it run again someday. However, IRM's Diesel Department has plenty of other projects to keep them occupied in any event...

*IRM has not allowed privately owned equipment to be part of the museum collection for years now but they allowed it in the long ago past. 1951 and other existing privately owned pieces onsite were grandfathered in when the new policy of all equipment at IRM must be museum property went into effect.

"Was" privately owned, actually held in a trust with several other pieces of GtW equipment. Unfortunately, IRM got full title long before anyone anticipated, when Bob Johnson , who had originally purchased these pieces, died in an accident at his place of employment.

The crankshaft in the locomotive is not broken, but was severely scored (to the point of being blue, and looking like someone took an angle grinder to it).

The replacement crank that was found was definitely not free, but was not in Bob's budget at that point in time.

Jeff