It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Midwest Loco Works 48-ton Switcher Available in NY State
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:14 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AOTTORC ... 139771297/

Quote:
The Altamont Fair in upstate New York is willing to offer a historic locomotive to a reputable party. Albany District #1 constructed in 1931 is a rare 48 tonner produced by the small Ohio builder Midwest Locomotive Works. It had an extensive career in local industries further working for Fort Orange Paper in Castleton, NY. Cared for by the late Joe Merli she is now under threat from the torch. If you are interested please contact [Cameron Wolk] for further details.

Photos at link.....

Post subject: Re: Midwest Loco Works 48-ton Switcher Available in NY State
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:12 am 

Deleted

Last edited by Tarheelrrds on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:57 am 

I presume it is standard gauge.

Later!
Mr. Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:53 am 

You have presumed correctly, standard gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:33 am 

Thank you.

Later!
Mr. Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:44 am 

One of the photos is the same as the one in "Critters, Dinkys & Centercabs" by Jay Reed. In that publication, this loco is described as a 45 ton. No big deal but funny that they used that one photo with the building behind it and shoved up against a truck. The photo in question says it was taken at the Brown Paper co in Castleton, NY in 1975.

Later!
Mr. Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 am 

Mr. Ed wrote:
One of the photos is the same as the one in "Critters, Dinkys & Centercabs" by Jay Reed. In that publication, this loco is described as a 45 ton. No big deal but funny that they used that one photo with the building behind it and shoved up against a truck. The photo in question says it was taken at the Brown Paper co in Castleton, NY in 1975.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Might have a home for it just down I-88 in Binghamton, having a hard time getting in contact.

Alex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:09 pm 

I apologize for not saying anything sooner but I got hung up on dealing with requests on social media. This locomotive is indeed owned by the Altamont Fairgrounds which is looking to dispose of her, fortunately there is no deadline at this time. New information does support that #1 is a 45 tonner not a 48. This is a standard gauge unit and comes with a spare truck equipped with traction motors.
Make no mistake she is in rough condition from her days as a fair attraction. Local children have damaged critical components including wiring, windows and other small parts. The engines are intact albeit will require a multi-year restoration given their exposure to the elements.
If you're interested please send me a PM within the next few days. A decision will be made shortly as to the selected organization. Good luck gentlemen!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:18 pm 

Taken from my Facebook.

"I made a post last summer regarding the preservation of a historic locomotive in the state of New York. I must unfortunately tell you that as of February 2018 there are no takers for Albany Port District #1.
The scrapping deadline is this spring and I'm afraid we're out of options. Unless a courageous individual is willing to step up this locomotive will be torched at no cost to its owners.
I want to thank those who reached out in the last 7 months for your support and guidance. I couldn't haven gotten this far without you. I will be making efforts in the coming weeks to remove valuables from #1 before her fate transpires. Thank you once again!"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:32 pm 

I'll take that to mean that both American Industrial Mining and Adirondack Scenic were not interested following their inspections?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:11 pm 

ColebrookdaleRailfan wrote:
I'll take that to mean that both American Industrial Mining and Adirondack Scenic were not interested following their inspections?

Yes, unfortunately so. I have been approached by a few interested gentlemen in the past few hours hopefully we can resolve this conflict with the time left.