It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Former CPR Mikado in Depew, New York
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:26 pm 

Ross' numbers are in line with what we expect to spend to complete the overhaul of Alaska Railroad 557, a 1944 Consolidation with a 160,000 pound operating weight. The locomotive was complete, but everything was well worn. A new firebox was required. We will come in at the low end of Ross' guesstimate, but almost all work has been done by volunteers and we have received extensive in-kind support, including movement of the locomotive, asbestos abatement, and work space.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:27 pm 

al crisp wrote:
Al Crisp here; Thanks for the photos using the hydraulics. They work great if you are in absolute straight up and down situation and are on solid, flat ground.They are designed to work were a crane can not go, and lift a heavy machine off a truck and place it exactly with no side to side movement. I do feel a little uneasy about the high center of gravity during the lift. The dynamics are totally different with two cranes.The way I have been approaching this if it only go a couple hundred miles, is the loco by rail car the tender on a truck trailer. If I understand correctly that dead in tow is out of the question these days given the fact it is all friction bearings on 5361. Maybe someone knows for sure as this in odd thing no one I talk to seems to know. The owner says all the brakes still function.
As for costs to restore this is not my concern at this point. We would just like to get it to a covered home. I heard the number 5 million CDN kicked about on the 2618 but then it was wreck relatively speaking plus it was converted to fuel oil from coal, the cab was built from the ground up, plus there was two tenders rebuilt and they would not confirm the story. Even restored here or in the USA where would it run?? Cheers AL

I was there with the owner three weeks ago, and I can tell you that there was air still in the system. She'd be a good engine to restore, if possible. She's a modern Mike, with feedwater heater, front end throttle, plenty of power, and a fairly large cab. I looked in the firebox and all the grates are there, and the inside of the firebox looks pretty good, but I'm not a restoration expert...I can run and fire them, do running repairs, but that is the extent of my expertise. Others will have to make that determination.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:44 am 

Why would there still be air in the system? Shouldn't it be drained to prevent corrosion?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:16 am 

softwerkslex wrote:
Why would there still be air in the system? Shouldn't it be drained to prevent corrosion?

Exactly. How can there be still air in it when it has been sitting in the same spot for 20 plus years?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:58 am 

I used to care for SP1727, a display locomotive since 1956. It can still develop air pressure in the reservoir tanks by the sun hitting the black-painted tanks. Granted, not a lot of pressure, but when you open the drain valves Psssst!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:35 am 

[EDIT] Just wanted to point out that the owner has a self-imposed deadline of this October. I originally missed that but saw it repeated on TO.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:44 am 

Suddenly we're playing poker.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:48 am 

Al Crisp here; After playing telephone go round with CPR's state of the art system I have got the contact info for those in charge of the Heritage program at CPR. You would think I was trying to call the White House. I got it from a contact in the company not the listings. At least we will get the old beast on their radar. I am also in touch most days now with the owner by phone and email. Turns out we have a large list of mutual friends in the RR and modeling communities and he is in support of what I am attempting to do. Glad I have unlimited long distance! The upside is I learned a lot about the engine the track etc.
The D,L and W will replace the track when needed. The old diamond broke when the other siding was active. It probably was second hand when placed as this is a relatively rare track layout and I doubt they wanted to spend a ton of money on it. Before it broke they would take 5361 out for a ride to keep everything rolling.
Regards moisture in an air system it is just a fact of life with compressed air. I spent my entire working life on trucks with air brake and suspensions. You are going to get some moisture unless you are in an arid desert. I am not aware of any drying system on a steamer but diesels locos and Trucks have moisture traps and blow off air dryers which expel moisture at a given air pressure setting. For years I would add some methyl hydrate to my air system to help remove the water vapour and avoid freeze up of the valves. Not too much as it can distort rubber seals. Cheers Al

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:31 am 

Most Steam locos have the air tanks very close to the pumps, along with piping that "reverses" over itself to provide a cooler. The tanks have drain valves readily available to the engine crew when "oiling around" and part of that duty is to crack open the valve to drain the condensate. Yep, old school, relying on the operating crew to care for their "stead."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:17 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
Hence the famous "Drain Daily" stencil on D&RGW steam loco air tanks, to cite one example.

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:40 pm 

Al Crisp here ; We are not dead in the water yet, I got in touch with the Heritage GM and he wants all the info I can send him so he can pass it on and see what can be done. And yes 2618 will be back in steam as soon as they get the go ahead, it is one piece and functional, the rumors of axle problems was not true. Cheers for now Al Crisp MMR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:09 pm 

Quote:
Before it broke they would take 5361 out for a ride to keep everything rolling.

That is interesting.

p.s. and the owner must have a pretty good relation with the railroad to get this service

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:25 pm 

Crispy Al, I appreciate your flying in the face of the nay-sayers and trying to do your best to pull a solution from thin air. As a retired teacher, allow me to give you an "A" for effort.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:26 pm 

Al here; I will take that and treasure it, due the fact I have a form of dyslexia I never got my work on the board or a star by my name. Lots of IQ but no attention span???????????? Thank you but it ain't over til it's over but we do have 5361 on the radar of two of the departments that will be key to the enterprise. A note here I never seemed to get my homework done but I always got lost in research for the projects.
Anyway we will see this thru, I need to get more info to the riggers who will most likely get the job if all goes well. Not the cheapest but when I talked to him he knew his stuff on rail[their speciality] and hay guess what he knew the rules on moving equipment on old style bearings. CPR wants a rundown and photos and a proposal so I will get that off this weekend. Cheers Al Crisp MMR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:33 am 

Any updates on the possible sale of this locomotive?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 24  Next