It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Former CNR 6077 Capreol, Ontario
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:50 pm 

Capreol, Ontario is close to the end of the earth, but the railroad museum is totally worth your visiting. The museum includes a restored home with a beautiful collection of artifacts and historic information. The yard houses a terrific collection of steam, Diesel, and electric locomotives, each getting its turn with a paint brush. The surrounding area is a manicured garden and koi pond.
I was told the collection is staffed by volunteers, and it appears they both love and take huge pride in what they bring to the area. My focus was #6077, the third and final "Bullet Nose Betty" in preservation, but a great deal of attention has been given to a 4-6-0 which has received a new cab and paint, while the tender awaits attention.

#6077 could use minor attention, such as removal of bird nests, and further lubrication. For whatever reason, the cone shaped nose has louvers, which I'll assume is to drain water(?). The locomotive is in beautiful condition and I'll leave it at that. May I suggest this little, out-of-the-way railroad museum deserves financial support and elbow grease. The journey to the end of the earth is entirely worth your investment.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Post subject: Re: Former CNR 6077 Capreol, Ontario
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:11 pm 

6077 Got a restoration a few years ago (maybe 7 years ago).

If I remember correctly the louvers on the cone were a modification related to her conversion to oil burning. You may have noticed that the tender she has is equipped with a stoker, yet she herself is an oil burner.

When she was converted to burn oil she received the rectangular tender from a 2-10-2. In fact if you look at the number plate on the back of the tender, you can still see the original number under the paint.

When she was put on display, CN grabbed the tender from an early Northern (I forget which one) and just stuck that on.

Post subject: Re: Former CNR 6077 Capreol, Ontario
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:24 am 

I've seen the 6069 several times, and they are beautiful locomotives.