It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surviving Tex-Mex Railroad equipment
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:53 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping y'all might be able to help me with some information regarding surviving Tex-Mex Railway equipment. I know that the B/W caboose from the passenger train is at Del Mar College in Laredo, TX, the shorty B/W and regular B/W caboose are located somewhere near Alice, TX on a ranch. About six months ago, I stumbled across one of the old TM (SP/TNO) wooden cabooses, north of Sabinal, TX. The car was converted into a hunting cabin and was in horrible shape. It would have been one heck of a save had it been in better condition...
Now as for the passenger cars, where did they all end up? I read one unfortunate report that one was in New Jersey for many years, still in its TM paint, but was recently scrapped. I believe it was TM #3, a former PRR P-70 coach. I have been searching the internet for any clues as to where these cars disappeared to. For years, a streamlined car, I think it was #5, sat by the old Laredo yard office. It was there for a little while after the KCS merger, but disappeared.

When it comes to TM locomotives, I know all the steam locomotives were scrapped. How about any of the early diesels? Did any of those survive? Espically those weird looking boxcabs. Are there even any of those left in existence at all?!?!? I've seen the TM 511 that the Gulf Coast Chapter of the NHRS owns and its very nice. I'm glad to see it preserved. As far as any other diesels, the GP60 are with the BNSF and I think I read somewhere that the GP35M that came from the SLSF, is now working for Watco and a few of the GP38-2s are now HLCX units, with dynamic brakes added. I haven't been able to put a located on any of the other units like the GP28, GP18s, & GP7s.

My early RR years were founded upon the Tex-Mex and MoPac. My first passenger train was not Amtrak, it was the Tex-Mex Special. I hold fond memories and I'm curious about where the old stuff went.

GaryR.
SA, TX

Post subject: Re: Surviving Tex-Mex Railroad equipment
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:24 pm 

Bay Window Caboose #14 is listed on Sterling Rail: http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds ... p?id=19278

The P-70 that was scrapped was reportedly the only P-70 built with 6-wheel trucks, would've been nice to save as she was in great condition on the TM.

No idea on the diesels, their early Geeps were cool!

I too rode the Tex-Mex Express, in fact I rode the last run to CC from Laredo!

CD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:41 pm 

I rode the TM several times from Corpus Christi to Laredo but on freight trains, not passenger trains in 1981-82. I was delivering sleeping cars to SCD (NdeM) and they were routed via TM.
JH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:11 am 

Just saw a boxcar yesterday patched for AGR.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:02 pm 

garyrsatx wrote:
I know that the B/W caboose from the passenger train is at Del Mar College in Laredo, TX...

Where is it on the campus?