It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Railroad Sound Recordings
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:44 pm 

It has been quiet on this discussion. I myself do spend time searching for some very rare recordings. One of the recent ones include Stan Kistler's Big Boy and Mobile Fidelitys' Great Moments of Steam.

I also would like to mention something to think about. As you know, TrolleyDodger does a great job on the audio of these records and puts them on CD. Some people send some recordings to him and he puts them on CDs and gives back the LPs as wells as the CD for free if you own that particular LP or tape.

I have done that already when I shared some of my collection with him which included all four of Howard Foggs LP record and he has returned them to me with the one CD that has all four albums on it.

In the meantime I am still looking for other records or tapes.

Here are some of the titles from the railroad record club site

1.) Vanishing Vapor On The Boston And Maine
2.C.N. Northern Sunset

Along with others from L&H railsonics, Relevation Audio-Visuals, and the recordings of Lynford “Bud” Swearer.

I also found out that there are some recordings of Vinton Wight (who made Sounds of Steam locomotives Vol.1-5 and available on Itunes) that were not published.

That made me thing there are some recordings out there that were never published.

I know what I am saying is a lot but it is definitely worth to look into.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:58 pm 

I can address one of the above categories: the recordings of Bud Swearer. His recordings were primarily sold through e-bay. He died several years ago and made no provision for his recordings to be saved, at least as far as I know. He told me he had made some arrangements (I knew him back in the mid-late 1950's from York, PA where he was a pharmacist), but none have surfaced. I checked various direct sources who had authority and/or knowledge of his estate, and found that there were no recordings to be found. The N&W Historical Society obtained rights to his N&W recordings from his estate, and we have transferred all of them to digital media through efforts of several of our members. I hope to assemble them into CD's and through the Society, make them available for purchase. Regardless of my ambition (or lack of it) regarding development of commercial CD's, the N&W portion of his recordings have been preserved and are fully documented.

However, all of his other recordings (and there are many!!) are only available from the various individuals who bought them over the years. I have a few of his PRR recordings and some of the GTW recordings. The list of what he produced is extensive, and I sincerely hope that other efforts, either by historical societies or individuals, will make his recordings available again. AFAIK they are all mono, but they are of decent quality and seem to contain extensive documentation. For example, the N&W portion is historically very significant, and I hope the rest are equally important for a given railroad.

Dave Stephenson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:44 pm 

I did not know that, but I agree there are some of his recordings are in good hands. I sure hope that some might be worthy enough to be heard again.

I also agree on the societies that might willing do put them on cds. Its only a matter of patience.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:09 am 

Bud recorded extensively, and the list is several type-written pages. The biggest problem is finding individuals that have the recordings. The tapes are probably scattered all over the country. Secondly, what would be their willingness allow a source to borrow the tapes to convert them to CD or other digital media?

Dave S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:03 pm 

Found at my local Goodwill over the weekend.

Put out by Everest Records in 1974, it looks like.

A recording of 3759 from LA to San Bernardino.

The second side has trackside sounds at Santa Barbara's station of SP steam.

Attachments:
IMG_0826.jpg
IMG_0826.jpg [ 168.25 KiB | Viewed 7560 times ]
IMG_0825.jpg
IMG_0825.jpg [ 138.31 KiB | Viewed 7560 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:40 am 

There's been a bit of discussion about the current status of Bonhomie an Hattiesburg Southern 2-8-2 300.

That locomotive has a tie in here, as it was the star of the recording "Steam Railroading Under Thundering Skies," recorded, as the title says, during a thunderstorm. No 250, a 2-6-2 recorded on another day, is on there, too.

https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-Steam ... ter/645384

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:49 am 

J3a-614 wrote:
There's been a bit of discussion about the current status of Bonhomie an Hattiesburg Southern 2-8-2 300.

That locomotive has a tie in here, as it was the star of the recording "Steam Railroading Under Thundering Skies," recorded, as the title says, during a thunderstorm. No 250, a 2-6-2 recorded on another day, is on there, too.

https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-Steam ... ter/645384

I've got that as a CD! "Sunday Only" is also on the CD. Wonderful recordings, very dramatic with the lightning crashes!

https://www.allmusic.com/album/steam-railroading-under-thundering-skies-mw0000119747

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:27 pm 

One I pulled a while ago that I thought was rather interesting, being a early 60s album of the East Broad Top. This one was put out on the Ralbar label, which later became the more known Semaphore. No idea when the actual recordings were made as no note is made in the liner notes on the cover.

https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-Night-Train-To-Orbisonia/release/9819285

Railroad Preservation Index 2015-2021

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:45 am 

I've always regretted that the Frisco dieselized so early and as far as I know, no recordings of their in service steam was ever made. Unless somebody has access to the Fox Movietone News Nov 1928 newsreel which supposedly has a segment on the Frisco and their new Volotone air horns on their steam engines. I've looked for that for many years and it doesn't seem to exist any more.
It was written up in a Frisco Employee's magazine from 1928.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:35 am 

I am sure hoping that newsreel is out there somewhere. In the meantime, there are some videos of live 1920s sound film of trains on youtube which are very unique.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:09 am 

Just came across this while looking for something else.

Can anybody provide background or history on the recording company>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDOZ1kvtv6s

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:22 am 

Coming in late to this thread, but what is the current status of Semaphore Records? I'd love to enquire about the reel of nat sounds that he has that was recorded at Penn Station in the early 60's. The small fragment online is absolutely heavenly.

I do film and audio restoration for a living so if there are any collections out there that need digitizing, feel free to inquire via PM.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:04 am 

I have a collection of steam railroad sound recordings I'd like to sell as I am now downsizing my collections and wish to see these things go to people who can appreciate them. I'm not looking to get rich off of them. I have a total of 18 LP's and two small souvenir ones. If anyone is interested, you can contact me either by PM or at my email address: <DLW1155@yahoo.com>.

Al Holleuffer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6