It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Operating Steam Engines From Before 1900
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:30 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
survivingworldsteam wrote:

Kentucky RY Museum was working on 0-4-2T #4 "Hercules"; the only tram engine in the United States that still retains it's car body. Again, I don't know if it was strictly cosmetic, or to operational condition.

This one kind of shocked me. "Hercules" (0-4-2RT tram engine # 4) was long on display at Mammoth Cave National Park. I had seen the locomotive on display there a few years ago, under cover and in good cosmetic condition. I'm surprised that KRM acquired the extremely rare engine. Or are they just working on it at the park? A bit strange if the later is the case.

Les

Les; it may have been the latter; I think there was a flimsy or news blurb about it right here. The engine needed a little TLC even after being under cover all this time; IIRC; one of the ends had begun to sag because the wood was rotting. I don't think I saw anything more after that.

Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:23 pm 

Okay James, thanks!

Les

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:32 pm 

Railtown 1897 State Historical Park was restoring or repairing former CRI&P 82, an 0-4-0T built in the CRI&P (Silvis Shops) in 1884. I don't know if it was just comestic, or what the current state is.

Several years ago, this particular locomotive was moved from Jamestown to Santa Maria, California where it is on public display. Per some searching, it is owned now by the Santa Maria Valley Railway Historical Museum. Looks like just a cosmetic restoration effort.

http://www.santamariasun.com/art/10378/ ... al-museum/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:51 pm 

V&T 18 4-4-0 "Dayton" of 1873 was also operational at one time, but I also assume it's boiler time has expired.

Is "Chloe", Walt Kimball's 3ft 0-4-2T built in 1883 still operational?

Quote:
Is D&R 8 4-4-0 "Jupiter" also with Dayton in the NV State RR Museum operational; I assume it's boiler certificate has expired.
V&T 18 has not been operational in a long-long time. NSRM had it cosmetically restored, but not operational. The 18 recently went up to Virginia City and was swapped with the 27 which returned to Carson City.

"Chloe" is not an 1883 locomotive. It actually dates from 1907. Ward had it "back-dated" to look like an 1883 locomotive. He and Jerry Best had a reproduction of a builder's plate for an 1883 0-4-2 made up and attached to the smokebox. Fooled a bunch of railfans. That builder's plate has been removed. Operational? Not in a number of years.

D&R 8 is apart at the NSRM; it is inside the large storage/display building connected to the shop. Not operational at this time. I never heard it call "Jupiter."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:19 am 

Andy Nold wrote:
Grapevine Vintage Railroad 1895 ex-SP Cooke 4-6-0 is undergoing rebuild.

Should be 1896

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:10 am 

What year does SP #18 date from?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:12 am 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
What year does SP #18 date from?

It's a 1911 product of Baldwin... according to steamlocomotive.info anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:59 am 

As another update, I've attached the list below.

The only one that has been added from recent comments is the engine at the zoo in Omaha. Forgive me... I did not expect to find any operating steam in Nebraska :-) but that's why I asked!

Attachments:
OldSteamExcel5.JPG
OldSteamExcel5.JPG [ 136.24 KiB | Viewed 5258 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:49 am 

Brian Norden wrote:
V&T 18 has not been operational in a long-long time. NSRM had it cosmetically restored, but not operational. The 18 recently went up to Virginia City and was swapped with the 27 which returned to Carson City.

Hi Brian,

I think you have it reversed. The V&T 18 (Dayton) had been in the Comstock History Museum up in Virginia City for several years, but was brought back to the NSRM at Carson City earlier this year. The V&T 27 was sent up to Virginia City to take its place. As you've indicated, both locomotives are cosmetic restorations, and sweet ones at that.

My long-time wish for the NSRM is for Chris DeWitt and his team to get a crack at V&T 11, if the studio in Tucson will ever let her go. She belongs in Carson City, not Tucson.

/Kevin Madore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:57 pm 

KevinM wrote:
Hi Brian,

I think you have it reversed. The V&T 18 (Dayton) had been in the Comstock History Museum up in Virginia City for several years, but was brought back to the NSRM at Carson City earlier this year. The V&T 27 was sent up to Virginia City to take its place. As you've indicated, both locomotives are cosmetic restorations, and sweet ones at that.
Thank you. The two locomotives swapped places a couple of times over the years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:00 pm 

KevinM wrote:
Brian Norden wrote:

Hi Brian,

My long-time wish for the NSRM is for Chris DeWitt and his team to get a crack at V&T 11, if the studio in Tucson will ever let her go. She belongs in Carson City, not Tucson.

/Kevin Madore

I don't see that happening unless someone offers the studio big bucks for the locomotive. The studio is doing pretty well financially, so that's not a likely outcome.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:21 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

Likewise for the Henry Ford, the "Baldwin #7" is one of the prettiest engines operating in the U.S., in my humble opinion of course. And during the Henry Ford's event days like the old car & ragtime festival, they'll have 2 steam trains running.

Crescent-Zephyr:

Do you know, when the Henry Ford has two steamers running, if one of them might be pulling some of their vintage freight cars as the second train? Being able to photograph a "vintage freight" would be a good reason to visit the Ford at that time.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:05 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

Likewise for the Henry Ford, the "Baldwin #7" is one of the prettiest engines operating in the U.S., in my humble opinion of course. And during the Henry Ford's event days like the old car & ragtime festival, they'll have 2 steam trains running.

Crescent-Zephyr:

Do you know, when the Henry Ford has two steamers running, if one of them might be pulling some of their vintage freight cars as the second train? Being able to photograph a "vintage freight" would be a good reason to visit the Ford at that time.

Les

I'm not involved with their operations in any way, but I attended the high school on the premises and have been to the Old Car Festival a few times. I've only ever seen the open passenger cars pulled when two trains were run- I can't even recall seeing the freight cars on site getting shuffled around any, let alone pulled around the loop.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:55 pm 

Wasn't the new owner of the Mississippi , formally owned by Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, working on her to get it running? If so , that would trump the list , maybe ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:05 pm 

Same owner as the Southern #154, so the OP of this thread may know?

I never heard about a plan for the Mississipi. Would be great to see her run though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next