It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What’s left at ITM
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:02 pm 

Reposting a link to a photo essay by Randy Hicks of the The Indiana Transportation Museum grounds for anyone who missed it.

https://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2018 ... useum.html

Being a woodworker it hurts to see the old wood boxcars dissolving away. Doubt if anyone is interested in saving them, Once easy meat for low cost storage, now a dwindling part of rail history.

Post subject: Re: What’s left at ITM
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:28 pm 

Wow...just wow. Shame the Crandic Cab is being scrapped. It lasted this long....

I sincerely hope we do not have a repeat of the ITM disaster in the future.

Did the overgrowth in the display yards become that bad recently, or has it been like that for years?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:38 pm 

I'm curious about the plans for the Hobbs depot... will it be demolished? Moved somewhere? Or will it remain in Forest Park to be used for the new operation?

Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:04 pm 

Hey, can anyone pass the word along. Many of the picture links in the Hicks Car Works article are dead.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:20 pm 

buzz_morris wrote:
Reposting a link to a photo essay by Randy Hicks of the The Indiana Transportation Museum grounds for anyone who missed it.

https://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2018 ... useum.html

Being a woodworker it hurts to see the old wood boxcars dissolving away. Doubt if anyone is interested in saving them, Once easy meat for low cost storage, now a dwindling part of rail history.

buzz_morris -

One of Randy's photos (number 12 of 23) shows "AOS 7" marked in yellow paint on one of those Wabash wood boxcars. Going to the Age of Steam roundhouse museum perhaps?

Les

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:37 pm 

How bout the NKP Baldwin or GN heater car? Anyone taken the Milw F units or Ex UPRR GP9?

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:34 am 

Trainkid456 wrote:
I'm curious about the plans for the Hobbs depot... will it be demolished? Moved somewhere? Or will it remain in Forest Park to be used for the new operation?

Thomas

Thomas -

I thought I had read somewhere, that Hobbs was going to be moved to the new operation in Logansport. But maybe that's wrong. Sure would hate to see it get demolished. Would fit in nicely at HVRM, or other locations.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:21 am 

I see the two cranes are still there. Both of these were supposed to go to the Monon Connection Museum. Did that deal fall through?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:51 am 

buzz_morris wrote:

While they have undoubtedly been neglected and are rotting away, the 3 boxcars in the one photo are not as far gone as they might appear at first. They all appear to have steel roofs, ends and doors (a big bonus, wood doors are a real pain to rebuild) in addition to outside-braced steel frames, so only the siding and floor should be wood.

My organization restored a couple that were in similar condition a few years ago. But you are correct in that these things are usually quite low on the priority list.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:13 pm 

to not have a repeat of this disaster, any orginization leasing their property should be on the lookout to buy property.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:53 am 

Tony Pignaloni wrote:
to not have a repeat of this disaster, any orginization leasing their property should be on the lookout to buy property.

Not only that, also erect a sufficient number of buildings to shelter the equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:09 pm 

Also, do not acquire or accept donations of every piece of equipment that comes along. A person may be upset when you tell them that you cannot accept the donation of their back yard caboose because you just have no space to properly house it. That person will just have to get over it.
Develop a focus for your collection, restoration capabilities, and future operations.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:58 pm 

I see the semaphore is still there. I asked about some of the smaller things but was told they were only worrying about the larger pieces. Hopefully something like that doesn't get scrapped.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:38 pm 

Also, make your museum look professional and not look like a junkyard.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:16 pm 

Emmo213 wrote:
I see the semaphore is still there. I asked about some of the smaller things but was told they were only worrying about the larger pieces. Hopefully something like that doesn't get scrapped.

Emmo213 -

I assume you're referencing the train order semaphore signal that sat out front of the Hobbs depot. I wonder if this was "operational" from the depot, or strictly a non-working display. I wonder if it was original to Hobbs, or if it came from a different location completely? Whatever, I agree that it should be preserved.

Les