It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Operating Steam Engines From Before 1900
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Same owner as the Southern #154, so the OP of this thread may know?

I never heard about a plan for the Mississipi. Would be great to see her run though!

Crescent-Zephyr:

I think I recall reading that the Mississippi was actually built in England. If she is restored to operation, would she be the oldest steamer in service in the U.S.A.?

Concerning the Henry Ford operation of a vintage freight, I have seen a photo (or video?) of such an operation. Not sure how long ago it was, or which engine in the collection was involved.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:54 pm 

Well... yes. But not the oldest totally built in the USA.

I would love to see a photo special at the Henry Ford. They have such great equipment and simply unmatched settings with the depot, roundhouse, farm houses, period vehicles, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:29 am 

Les Beckman wrote:
I think I recall reading that the Mississippi was actually built in England. If she is restored to operation, would she be the oldest steamer in service in the U.S.A.?

Les
I think the current thinking is that the Mississippi was constructed on this side of the Atlantic -- not in England.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 am 

Brian Norden wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

Les
I think the current thinking is that the Mississippi was constructed on this side of the Atlantic -- not in England.

Correct, during the early restoration process by its current owners, it was discovered that the engine was very likely manufactured by a NY firm.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:57 am 

Frank J. DeStefano wrote:
Brian Norden wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

Les

Correct, during the early restoration process by its current owners, it was discovered that the engine was very likely manufactured by a NY firm.

Correct, it was discovered while closely examining the engine that it is highly likely that the engine was built in the USA in 1836. Establishing a true (or at least, as true as you can get without going back to 1836 in a time machine) history for the engine was the goal. This makes it the oldest conventional (horizontal boiler) American-built steam locomotive in existence.

Small read available here, not behind a paywall: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2016/09/28-mississippi

Video here: http://trn.trains.com/photos-videos/videos/2016/09/trains-presents-mississippi-saved

Mississippi is not being restored to operation. It is receiving a cosmetic restoration for display.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:43 am 

And as far as I know the oldest american built steam locomotive is the 1835 built B&O Grasshopper on display at te Carillon Historical Park in Dayton OH. So it's darn close to being tied with the oldest period. Pretty cool.

I went to see the Mississippi right before it left Chicago. Shame they didn't know or care what they had but it's great that it went to a great owner.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:51 am 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
And as far as I know the oldest american built steam locomotive is the 1835 built B&O Grasshopper on display at te Carillon Historical Park in Dayton OH. So it's darn close to being tied with the oldest period. Pretty cool.

I went to see the Mississippi right before it left Chicago. Shame they didn't know or care what they had but it's great that it went to a great owner.

We can only be thankful that it was stored and displayed in such a fine establishment for so long!

A gathering of older steam locomotives would sure be a fine sight, although such small steam might not be considered quite as sexy as the other superpowered engines running around :-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:32 pm 

I enjoy the bigger engines, but it always baffles me that fellow railfans who visit the henry ford always rave about the Alleghany but rarely mention the 1858 Rogers 4-4-0 "Sam Hill" - now THAT is a locomotive! ha.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:35 pm 

I'm probably (as in always) in the minority, but I'm more interested in the small, odd, industrial and ancient stuff than in the huge mainline power - for one thing, it's easier to move them around and to recover their costs to keep them sustainably operating. Hell, 90% of what we run doesn't need anything bigger than a logging Mike or light Pacific, probably 2/3 of that could use a nice 6-coupled or tank engine......

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:25 am 

I created a few "albums" over at Railpictures.net - Pre-1875 steam was one:

http://www.railpictures.net/album/3290/

They are not all mine, but quite a few are - a good percent from the B&O Railroad Museum, but plenty of others. Take a peek - for enjoyment, or, perhaps you can find a couple to add to your spreadsheet.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:04 pm 

Mgoldman wrote:
I created a few "albums" over at Railpictures.net - Pre-1875 steam was one:

http://www.railpictures.net/album/3290/

They are not all mine, but quite a few are - a good percent from the B&O Railroad Museum, but plenty of others. Take a peek - for enjoyment, or, perhaps you can find a couple to add to your spreadsheet.

/Mitch

One engine that doesn't seem to have been mentioned here, is Dardanelle & Russellville 2-6-0 #9, which was built by Baldwin in 1884 for the Cincinnati, New Orleans & Texas Pacific as their number 232. Mitch's "album" on pre-1885 locomotives, made me think of her. D&R 9 is not currently operational, but was the regular engine in service at Mid-Continent for a number of years. Although built in 1884, I believe she got a new boiler some time before she was sold to the D&R, but don't think that a newer boiler would preclude her being mentioned herein. Not sure if Mid-Continent has any plans to restore her to future service after C&NW #1385 eventually becomes active.

Les