It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Christmas Steam
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:30 am 

I'm pleased to report that NH&I # 40 will be pulling this years Santa Steam Spectacular trains out of New Hope starting later this month through December. Please see www.newhoperailroad.com for details.

Steam cab rides are again being offered ( they sold out last year) and as they sell quickly I'd reserve one if that fits your schedule.

I'll be on the engineers roster Dec. 8-22 ( steam & diesel) and for those who would like to do a cab ride with me please PM me and I'll send you my steam duty days when I get the December assignments around Nov. 25.

My fond best wishes to all for a blessed Christmas and a healthy, steam filled 2019.

Best regards, Ross Rowland

Post subject: Re: Christmas Steam
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:42 am 

My compliments on the web page video.

It captures the romance of steam. It shows off all the work that's been done keeping the equipment attractive.

Most importantly shows folks having fun and enjoying the festivities!

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:43 pm 

Never ceases to amaze me that last years Santa train tickets were 93% sold via the website vs. either by phone or walk ups to the ticket booth. A new world order.

Ross Rowland

Last edited by co614 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:23 pm 

I never call to buy anything anymore. I prefer to buy tickets as a walk-up since it usually saves some money on processing fees, but if that's not an option it's online for me.

I'm not sure why a railroad would spend the money to restore a steam locomotive and only run it for Santa Trains and Easter Bunny Trains... but hey, glad it's running. Even before it's last rebuild it ran so sporadically I could never catch it. I stopped trying and just stop by the other Steam Railroads in the area that actually run their steam locomotives on a regular schedule. (Strasburg, Black River, Steam into History, Delaware River... there's some good competition in that area). Maybe I'll try to catch her one winter. Do they allow vestibule riding? Would prefer not to greet Santa and just listen to the engine....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:17 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I'm not sure why a railroad would spend the money to restore a steam locomotive and only run it for Santa Trains and Easter Bunny Trains... but hey, glad it's running. Even before it's last rebuild it ran so sporadically I could never catch it. I stopped trying and just stop by the other Steam Railroads in the area that actually run their steam locomotives on a regular schedule. (Strasburg, Black River, Steam into History, Delaware River... there's some good competition in that area). Maybe I'll try to catch her one winter. Do they allow vestibule riding? Would prefer not to greet Santa and just listen to the engine....

IIRC, the only reason it ran Santa Trains/Valentine's Day week and then was down again was for the second part of the restoration/rehabilitation of the locomotive. I imagine that this coming year, it will run on more holidays during the summer, or maybe even on a part-time/every other weekend rotation, ala Black River & Western.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:54 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I never call to buy anything anymore. I prefer to buy tickets as a walk-up since it usually saves some money on processing fees, but if that's not an option it's online for me.

I'm sure management at NHRR is losing sleep every night because their decisions with their steam locomotive didn't coincide with your schedule. I'm also sure they are especially appreciative you found solace at other operations and felt the need to state this on a public forum. Perhaps they should try better to appease only you and this next operating season.

DC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:12 pm 

Interesting point Big Jim. I hope that was the case.

Hey Donald, sorry my comments were offensive to you. Obviously they can run their railroad anyway they want to. It just seems odd they would restore a steam locomotive for so little use.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:58 pm 

These are taken from the Railroad’s official Facebook page dedicated to the locomotive - it was originally established a couple years ago when shop forces really started to get into the rehabilitation of the locomotive. As you can see, the crew has been busy...(read from the last one up I guess...)

Attachments:
E03E5B31-1E50-4C89-B7D9-958763D9F5B0.jpeg
E03E5B31-1E50-4C89-B7D9-958763D9F5B0.jpeg [ 143.41 KiB | Viewed 8023 times ]
9DEED2F0-331F-415B-A04A-3D9D8DCE80E5.jpeg
9DEED2F0-331F-415B-A04A-3D9D8DCE80E5.jpeg [ 178.38 KiB | Viewed 8023 times ]
9F63A5B0-FFDF-4CC2-B193-372EBC46BC5B.jpeg
9F63A5B0-FFDF-4CC2-B193-372EBC46BC5B.jpeg [ 224.04 KiB | Viewed 8023 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:58 pm 

Ahh now it's making sense. Thanks for the post and the link to their updates.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:40 pm 

As has been previously discussed the NH&I mgt. have decided to use steam only on those special occasions when the public strongly associates steam with that event/season such as the Santa trains.

This way they will get the maximum use and revenue generation out of the 15yr./ 1472 day boiler life.

The way they've designed # 40's service calendar they'll get nearly the full 15 years before she uses up her allowed in service days.

Makes a lot of sense.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:30 pm 

But 1472 days ÷ 15 years is 98 days a year. That's enough to do 3 out of 4 weekends a month and cover the long holiday weekends. Or drop winter aside from the Santa train period and run all summer weekends. There is more to their calculation than just judicious use of boiler time. Maybe they just aren't seeing the revenue bump sufficient to cover the added costs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:11 pm 

Or instead, we could just wait to see what next year’s steam schedule looks like, instead of this rampant and uninformed speculation...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:41 am 

The management of the NHRR is very keen on maxing out the remaining service days of the remaining 8ish years before the next 1472 inspection. Keep in mind service days are not only operating days. Any day with fire on the grates and pressure on the gauge count, Santa season alone uses at least 32 service days each year.

I will be traveling back up to Pa. to spend some time running/firing 40 both this month and next. I am very much looking forward to experiencing the improvements that have been made to the locomotive. I am expecting a noticeable increase in performance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:01 pm 

Baldwin Feeder is exactly right. By using the steam engine only during those special holiday periods when steam can command a premium fare ( to offset its greater operating cost) it allows a maximum return on investment and the most profitable use of the allowable service days under the current regs.

Advance reservations appear strong so here's hoping for a great Santa season and a good running # 40.

Thanks, Ross Rowland