It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Former CPR Mikado in Depew, New York
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:45 am 

I was going to ask on Oct 1st but didn't want to jinx it. Hopefully the owner has been a little flexible on his timeline.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:15 pm 

You haven't seen anything bad yet, have you?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:42 am 

Al Crisp Here; Not much to report right now other then I did confirm it's final days in steam. It was among a group[including 2816] still alive in Montreal in Feb 1961 for steam heat service at the Glen yard. Plus these engines took turns pushing the experimental Barber Greene ice melter in the Montreal area. In my mind that makes 5361 a still alive piece of CPR history and it should be reunited with it's sibling. But first I have to check in with the owner and see if we have something to talk about.
One good thing I did learn during my calling around is that 2816 should run again soon. According to the people I talked to in the Heritage fleet barns they are just waiting for permission from upstairs. CP's financial state of health is beyond good right now There was rumor that there was axle issues on the drivers but this is not true according to CP people I talked to. Cheers Al Crisp MMR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:10 am 

I know it's off topic but if that's true about 2816 that's fantastic news!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:12 am 

al crisp wrote:
Al Crisp Here; Not much to report right now other then I did confirm it's final days in steam. It was among a group[including 2816] still alive in Montreal in Feb 1961 for steam heat service at the Glen yard. Plus these engines took turns pushing the experimental Barber Greene ice melter in the Montreal area. In my mind that makes 5361 a still alive piece of CPR history and it should be reunited with it's sibling. But first I have to check in with the owner and see if we have something to talk about.
One good thing I did learn during my calling around is that 2816 should run again soon. According to the people I talked to in the Heritage fleet barns they are just waiting for permission from upstairs. CP's financial state of health is beyond good right now There was rumor that there was axle issues on the drivers but this is not true according to CP people I talked to. Cheers Al Crisp MMR

Wow, thanks for an update on #2816!

I feel like CP should make the #2816 more accessible to the public. But that is just my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:13 pm 

Again, off topic, but yes, it's true. I have it from a person in the National Museum, in Ottawa.
I'd love to see them pick up the Mike, but it's heavy investment, no matter how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:20 pm 

Al Crisp here again; Personally I would love to see the 2618 on the holiday train. What a fantastic site and not to mention publicity bit for CP and the charities they help!!
I do not know if I mentioned this before but the cost of getting the loco moved is the real sticker as the thing must move when deadhead on car due to the old friction bearings. estimates put it as high as 75'000$ to lift and rig.OUCH!! Al Crisp MMR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:23 pm 

Wouldn't a threesome be awesome. CPR 2816, 5361, 3101.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:40 pm 

Al, is the move dead in the water then? What is the owner saying?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 pm 

Look, the locomotive is a charmer, but she doesn't serve any purpose sitting where she is at this time. Getting her out of the location will require serious cranes, disassembly, or serious track work. Go back and read earlier posts about her.
If CPR wants her, they're about the only group I can think of who would have a purpose and the deep pockets to invest in the heritage loco. Convince them, and you have a last minute save.

I want to hear what the owner says.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:19 pm 

Very nice locomotive to restore and in good shape to
Not to big to move.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:31 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Again, off topic, but yes, it's true. I have it from a person in the National Museum, in Ottawa.
I'd love to see them pick up the Mike, but it's heavy investment, no matter how it goes.

You talk of the Canada Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa??? or the Bytown Railway Society is the same place yes but two organisation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:07 am 

al crisp wrote:

Al, a main axle was replaced shortly before it was pulled out of service about 10 years ago.
Do you know who will be running the steam program now?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:45 am 

Don't forget the #1 axle failed (ran hot and had to be replaced) on its last revenue trip to BC prior to being stored.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:17 pm 

If CPR is really working on something there might be a Non Disclosure in place. The owner of the locomotive might not be able to share anything right now.

Robert

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next