It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Former CPR Mikado in Depew, New York
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:14 am 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
If CPR is really working on something there might be a Non Disclosure in place. The owner of the locomotive might not be able to share anything right now.

I'd be VERY surprised if the Mikado is purchased by CP. Just one steam locomotive at a time to being brought back to life for any organization would be more than enough to handle today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:20 am 

Al Crisp here; I spoke with the owner yesterday and as yet the people who had the loco surveyed have not shown up with the cash and a solid plan to move it. They have proposed breaking it down into 5 truck loads and moving it to a place to reconstruct and restore. Personally I never have good feeling about things for restoration sitting in usable parts in a yard or field somewhere.[personal experience here] As for CPR being able to fund such a project I doubt that is the problem. The exact words to me were" they had no plans for acquisitions at this time". The Heritage fleet is alive and well and they have a budget,a well stocked machine shop,storage buildings and are involved in work on cars and locos on an ongoing basis. Goodness knows for what ever reason they got a yuk!! EMD SW 9 to add to the collection. I will talk to those who I have spoken with there in the next few days to try and get this further on the radar. CP is back doing sponsorships ,note the women's golf and the Holiday trains still run. Harrison would be pleased they are doing just fine on the fiscal end thank you!
Because I am not sure of company policy I will not name anyone I speak with at CPR,except to say they are in management And I got their names and numbers thru the back door and I do not want to burn any bridges. My suggestion here is for anyone interested in saving 5361 is to contact the company president or any board member you can track down and make the case. 5361 is in my mind the last piece of living CPR steam history as she did work from coast to coast In Canada, almost literally and was among the last OCS steamers in 1961. I know they were not a Big Boy in stature but the BB's never went more then a few miles from home yet got world wide fame. Sadly the P series mikes were just part of the wall paper. Cheers AL Crisp MMR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:24 pm 

So we are back where we started, although now we know what it'll take to get her out of there. Short of a wealthy Canadian benefactor coming forward I'd say it's not looking good. Sad but if she can't find a dance partner there isn't much sense in wasting a bunch of volunteer dollars just to move her to a new location and watch her die there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:09 pm 

She'd be great on the CP Holiday train. The consist is short enough 5361 should have no trouble pulling it all over the CPR network.

CPR might need another aux tender and at last count there was a CPR tender available in BC and I believe CPR 3101's original tender is on display at Expo Rail? The Northern has a Selkirk tender at the moment.

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:16 am 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
CPR might need another aux tender and at last count there was a CPR tender available in BC and I believe CPR 3101's original tender is on display at Expo Rail? The Northern has a Selkirk tender at the moment.

The Canadian Museum of Rail Travel in Cranbrook, BC has an auxiliary tender that was used on BC Rail with the Royal Hudson at one time. I believe this is it. I have been unable to find a recent photo of it. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1781558

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:39 am 

I'm not sure we ever left where we started. Most of this, except for the inaccessibility of the Mikado, is pure speculation. Facts are, the owner has to get realistic about the price and a prospective buyer has to either have deep pockets or call in some very long favors.
In the meanwhile, hope for a benefactor or work the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:38 am 

Al Crisp here; The access is really no problem. The railroad agreed a long time ago to reconnect the line if need be. The cross over broke and it was cheaper to remove. The track beyond is overgrown and it is chainsaw work and some ballasting perhaps. In days gone by they would pull the loco out and take it for a deadhead ride to keep things turning.At this time railroad wreck movers have been there and have given estimates to remove the beast. Also the company where she sits is serious about security so if anyone is near there do not attempt to get on the property with out permission!!
Mentioning the Holiday train there is actually two sets one doing Canadian stops and a second starting up here and hitting all the USA stops. CPR is justifiably proud of these trains as they have raised millions for charities over the years. Cheers Al Crisp MMR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:10 pm 

If 5361 is spared the torch and bought by CP Rail. The WRCA has a old CP tender 5818 that is still available and partially modified looking at the coal bunker. This tender could become the A-tank for 5361. https://www.atrrm.org/2016/07/wcra-to-thin-its-collection/

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:43 am 

I might be totally crazy. But I think if done correctly the asking price could be reached within a year or two at most. 5361 being a historically significant steam locomotive and not some boring diesel. I am thinking if the CP 5361's owner is an understanding individual hopefully he would be willing to work with such an organization.

Realistically I am guessing close to 200K. 100K just for the engine and the almost 100K to load, transport and unload 5361. As for places to display 5361. I doubt there is any serious issues here considering there is several fine railroad museums in NY and PA.

There is the option of working with NS and CSX to move 5361 to Kentucky Steam Heritage. KSH has more than enough room to store and display the CPR Mike. Jason and crew I can't imagine would be unwilling to work out some kind of an agreement.

Being just a railfan and modeler I wouldn't know anything about actually owning a steam loco or moving them beyond what I glean from RYPN and Trains magazine.

Robert

Last edited by BigBoy 4023 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:43 am 

My experience with crowd funding hasn't been overwhelmingly great, but it is a place to start. The presentation better be "sexy", because this is the kind of thing people simply "turn the page" over. You're seeking a huge amount of cash, but you are "working the problem". The irony is, CPR probably spends that amount on coffee and paper clips each day.
I know you'll have interested parties watching, for certain.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:30 am 

Al Crisp here; I have sent a proposal to my contact at CPR but he is away until the 19th. A lot of people are interested in this loco so a funding attempt under say the name friends of mike 5361 would probably be a good start to get CPR to show interest in the beast. It is not like they could not do something with. Have you ever seen the shops they have for the heritage fleet. There are some videos out there and one from a few months ago that a young fan who got permission to go in and video. The last scenes are 2816 stored inside all kleen and shiny!!Obviously they have budget as you can call today and book a train of the' not all real CPR passenger cars' and a few FP's to haul it thru the Rockies to impress your friends! All this equipment is stored under cover when not in use!
I will state right here that as a Canadian born and bred in a CPR family I would like to see that engine come home and end up looked after in some capacity. The cost to CPR would be basically chump change, tax deductible and a great PR op.As for the costs to move you are in the ball park from the estimates I was sent. Al Crisp MMR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:16 pm 

I grew up a CPR railfan and lived on the CPR main through NY for years. Talking the ex D&H trackage CPR owned and operated. I remember the old D&H water tender in the yard in Binghamton NY. It was visible from the bridge spanning the rail yard. I was just a boy then but my parents went over that bridge and past the station just for me and my brother to see the NJT E8 and Erie Lackawanna cars parked there.

I am also a purist at heart and wish CPR had picked up the two CPR F7 B units at NRE and those two CPR F7a units that ran in commuter service and sat for years in Ohio,

Now the two A units and one B unit have lost their roof top details and CPR classic lines and wear a faux suit of PRR green. The other B unit is set to be scrapped by NRE as they say it's too far gone for resale. I doubt that claim considering some of the junk I have seen restored. Three of the units CPR owns are impostors from the CNR railway.

Robert

Last edited by BigBoy 4023 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:37 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
...and those two CPR F7a units that ran in commuter service and sat for years in Ohio,

I believe those units were sold to the Stourbridge Line, so at least they went to a good home.

It would be nice if CP saved the Silver Streak unit (if it still exists...).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:56 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
...and those two CPR F7a units that ran in commuter service and sat for years in Ohio,

I believe those units were sold to the Stourbridge Line, so at least they went to a good home.

It would be nice if CP saved the Silver Streak unit (if it still exists...).

And trade NRE a SD40-2 for F7 B unit 1018 before they reduce it to scrap. NRE also has CN 9168 which ran with 9177 as the last two F7 units on CNR. NRE wants to reduce 9168 to scrap as well. Not liking NRE at all.

I talked with the Stourbridge not long ago and they were interested in CPR 1018 at NRE but I think hit the same brick wall.

CP B unit 1019 went to the Stourbridge as well as the two A units. But they all lost their classic weatherization hatches which strip them of the CPR lineage.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:02 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
Not liking NRE at all.

I have had the "pleasure" of being chased away at both Silvis and Dixmoor, and both times I was on a public street.....

I do not understand why they don't charge admission to see their "collections," they would be millionaires....but they are also a real company.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next