It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CT Trolley Museum Deaccessioning Equipment
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:40 am 

The Connecticut Electric Railway, AKA Connecticut Trolley Museum in East Windsor, CT has recently determined that the following equipment on its property is not within the collection and will be de-accessed.
1. North Shore Car #162, 58 seat passenger car. Built in 1915 by JG Brill.
2. North Shore Car #710, 56 seat passenger car. Built in 1926 by Cincinnati Car Company.
3. Double Truck wooden passenger coach #940, built around 1892.
4. Long Island Railroad 89 seat passenger coach #4153, built in 1930 by PRR.
5. Chicago Elevated Railway #4175, 52 seat passenger trailer built in 1915 by Cincinnati Car Company.
6. Chicago Elevated railway #4409, 52 seat passenger car built in 1924 by Cincinnati Car Company.
7. Canadian National double truck box motor #6714 built in 1917 by General Electric.
8. US Army 44 ton diesel switcher # 7926 built in 1944 by General Electric.
9. MTA electric Bus #8488 built in 1954 by Pullman.
10. MTA Electric Bus #8494 built in 1954 by Pullman.
11. Leyland 46 seat diesel railway coach (LEV 2).
12. Two Ford built 1974 Monorail cars built for Bradley Airport.
13. Wooden double truck Caboose-Known as the Mansfield Caboose, used previously at the Mansfield Depot Restaurant.
The museum is looking to see the cars preserved along with obtaining needed gear to maintain and restore its collection, and will consider any reasonable offers. The following conditions apply:
1. This is the first stage of the de-accession process. Only offers from Non-profit organizations will be considered during this phase. After May 31, 2019, offers will be considered from for-profit entities.
2. If you have questions, please direct them by email to Galen Semprebon, Shop Manager at gbs2600@comcast.net. Please include your name, and non-profit entity you are inquiring on behalf of. Serious inquiries only.
3. The museum is only soliciting interest on the list of equipment noted above.
4. The equipment range in condition, so please apprise yourself of the condition of the equipment. The equipment may not be in complete condition.
5. The museum prefers to see the equipment preserved and will give first consideration to proposals with this intent. If no interested parties come forth to preserve the equipment, then consideration will be given to parting out the equipment.
6. All equipment is provided as-is, where is.
We hope to be able to see at least some of this equipment preserved.

Post subject: Re: CT Trolley Museum Deaccessioning Equipment
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:41 pm 

Will any pictures and descriptions of these pieces of equipment be posted anywhere? The website for the museum only has a cursory listing with no pictures. It's rather hard for most of us outside the Northeast to do an on-site inspection without any idea of what is being offered. I was able to hunt around and use Frank Hick's website but many picture links are broken. http://www.bera.org/pnaerc.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 pm 

Hi

If you contact me directly, I can email you pictures of equipment that you are interested in. Please reply with museum that you are representing.

Thanks

Galen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:40 am 

Hello, in regards to your post, you state "Please reply with museum that you are representing" just to see photos of the equipment.

You also state "after May 31, 2019, offers will be considered from for-profit entities"
I am not sure what the current secrecy is, but in case some of these are not spoken for by the museum community, why not start generating potential interest from private collectors now?

It might help avoid another " We tried to find a home for ________, but now it will be scrapped post this summer.

Can you post photos somewhere on the internet and provide a link? Surely there must be someone besides old geezers at your institution who know how to use a computer?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:32 pm 

Google Drive is good for posting photos. Set up folders for each piece of equipment and provide download links to them. If you resize your photos to something around 1024 pixels wide at 96 dpi, you can get a ton of images in there for free.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:08 am 

Oportotrolley516 wrote:
Surely there must be someone besides old geezers at your institution who know how to use a computer?

This might not be the best way to endear yourself to Galen. Just sayin'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:17 pm 

http://pnaerc.blogspot.com/2018/12/elec ... -sale.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:37 am 

Still waiting on further replies from the museum, they cant be that worried about moving stuff out.

Mike Pannell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:48 pm 

car57 wrote:
Still waiting on further replies from the museum, they cant be that worried about moving stuff out.

Mike Pannell

Same here. This museum in particular has some very interesting equipment within its collection. I'm honestly surprised to hear these artifacts go after so many years at East Windsor. We'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:58 pm 

twofoot wrote:
Oportotrolley516 wrote:
Surely there must be someone besides old geezers at your institution who know how to use a computer?

This might not be the best way to endear yourself to Galen. Just sayin'

It was meant purely in jest, no disrespect intended. Note the posting time, and again I forgot to not make any facetious jokes on RYPN.

As I am rapidly heading toward being a cantankerous geezer myself, I will quote the immortal words of Sy Sperling "I am not only the hair club president but I am also a client"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:07 pm 

There are some small parts I am intrested in mostely a door shade holder and maybe some heaters. Will you be at the Amherst Railroad Hobby show this weekend?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:43 am 

Still waiting on a reply re the GE locomotive after 2 months...... no one seems that worried about de accession

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:41 am 

Any word on this?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:54 pm 

Scrapping has begun and is proceeding, and it is uncertain what is happening to the parts, if anything. Recent observations were posted on the Hicks blog:
https://pnaerc.blogspot.com/2021/09/postcard-from-warehouse-point.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 pm 

What a pity. I tried to purchase the north shore cars for East Troy in the 90’s….they were not for sale at any price. Now they have priced them at 12,500 each, making it hard to transport and purchase. They should be ashamed and embarrassed. What has happened to their charter…….historic preservation. Car 162 should be given away, heaven knows how much effort and money it will take to restore. Shame, shame on CT.