It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: OT: Delta Queen Steamboat gets Exemption-will run again!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:05 am 

Brian Norden wrote:
I received today a mass email from the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Besides other advocacy activities, it reported about the Coast Guard Authorization bill affecting Delta Queen bill was signed into law on December 4.

Does anyone know how long this exemption is good for?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:32 pm 

The exemption is valid for the same period of time that the Coast Guard Authorization Bill is effective-generally one year. This would place her under the same conditions which she previously operated under. Prior to her "retirement", she was subject to annual inspection and required the exemption to be renewed annually.

The reason for this is solely that the superstructure of the boat (as has been previously mentioned) is wood. Claims that she should be exempted permanently because she is a coastal/inland river vessel are totally unsubstantiated. Historical fact demonstrates that fires aboard coastal or river vessels can be just as deadly as fires aboard a seagoing vessel if the superstructure is wood. The prime example of this is the General Slocumb, a tourist vessel, which burned in New York harbor. That vessel became a flaming funeral pyre within minutes of a fire starting in a paint locker or rope locker and was less than a hundred yards off the shore.

That fact being considered, the requirement that the exemption be renewed annually is indeed appropriate to ensure that the DQ is maintained to the highest standard of fire safety.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:25 pm 

Alan Walker wrote:
The prime example of this is the General Slocumb, a tourist vessel, which burned in New York harbor. That vessel became a flaming funeral pyre within minutes of a fire starting in a paint locker or rope locker and was less than a hundred yards off the shore.
Yes, a very tragic event. This occurred June 15, 1904 and the reported loss of life is variously stated as being around 1,000.

Reported that the captain and owners had not conducted any tests of the fire hoses, etc. It is said that the fire hoses were rotted and failed as soon as water was turned on. The canvas and cork life preservers - reported to be from 1891 - were also reported to be rotted. Many other failings of maintenance, actions and reactions.

The Delta Queen has been painted with fire resistant paint for several decades. Reportedly a paint developed for NASA.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:40 pm 

I love how folks bring up the General Slocumb and other ancient steamboat disasters, that have almost no bearing on the Delta Queen's operation or construction. The DQ has a modern sprinkler system throughout the vessel, and a military grade heat/fire sensor system. Fire Drills are done on every sailing, and the crew is trained and tested annually on fire fighting, evacuation operations as well as other safety requirements-as required by the coast guard. I think you will find the exemption is likely for 10 years, not one year.
Safety on board the Delta Queen is not an issue by those who know and those who inspect her.
Judging by the recent (and nearby for me) Paradise fire, I am safer on board the DQ than I am in my own home.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:43 pm 

Brian Norden wrote:
The Delta Queen has been painted with fire resistant paint for several decades. Reportedly a paint developed for NASA.

Also equipped with heat detectors, smoke detectors, sprinklers, and a patrolling watchman all night. I have often thought that a Super 8 or equivalent motel with only a half asleep desk clerk keeping watch is a bigger fire trap than the DQ.

Also note (as I understand it) that like the General Slocumb, wooden daytime tourist boats are still allowed under Coast Guard regulations. Only overnight wooden boats sleeping over fifty passengers (of which the DQ is the only one) are outlawed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:13 pm 

According to the information that has been released, this exemption is valid for fifteen years. However, there are certain benchmarks that must be met annually. Most notable is the requirement that the boilers be enclosed in fire resistant chambers by 2028 to address engine room safety concerns.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:46 pm 

Alan Walker wrote:
According to the information that has been released, this exemption is valid for fifteen years.

Thanks, that's more like it. Good for them!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:05 pm 

Just came across a couple of vintage films of the Delta Queen, both of which date to when her future was in doubt in the 1960s and 1970s.

Both are interesting in that they show things like engine room shots you wouldn't get from a typical cruise ship company--but then, a modern cruise ship doesn't have those hypnotic reciprocating steam engines!

One thing that stood out was the passengers on the Delta Queen all looked o-l-d in 1967--but my memories of the boat when I got to see it in Wheeling, W.Va. in the 1970s, and in the promotional film from about that time, is that the crowd started looking younger, certainly among the people who came to visit the boat. Of course, by that time the boat was much more of a celebrity than it had been not too many years earlier.

The promotional film from the 1970s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtyqyDHDTEM

And what the narrator in this one said was to be her last voyage in 1967:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXQI7Po0DXc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:20 pm 

Does anyone have an inkling if the DQ will ever be restored to service? Seems like she has been in limbo for the last several years.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:20 pm 

'm curious too. Just a couple of days ago my wife asked me what the status was.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:32 pm 

I'd imagine with all the $$$ they spent getting the authorization to steam again, they're prepared to do what is necessary to get her physically ready as well. Including a Calliope player.

Isn't 2026 her 100th year?

Phil Mulligan

And as to the recip machinery I remember watching the triple expansion engine going up and down on the crankshaft, with the eccentrics doing their own thing on the SS State of Pennsylvania cruising to Riverview Beach NJ. She was later laid up at Wilmington for years.
You could see her out the window as you went by, rusting. Eventually she rolled over at her berth and was scrapped.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:33 pm 

I know people who might know things. I will inquire.

Meanwhile, I live in the town with the oldest operating "Western Rivers" steamboat that operates daily!! Idlewild / Avalon / Belle of Louisville.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:24 pm 

I was in Louisville when the Belle was preparing for a sailing. The calliope was telling everybody she was getting ready to go. You could hear the music throughout downtown.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:58 pm 

My understanding is that Delta Queen’s condition is getting pretty rough with peeling paint and rotting wood throughout. She took a direct hit from Hurricane Ida a year or so ago resulting in some damage and roof leaks. I’ve not heard anything official but I believe the goals of the owner have shifted from an imminent return to service to basic stabilization and preservation. Very sad for a vessel that had such a strong following as the last original overnight steamboat. If you think rail preservation is difficult, it is nothing compared to things that float.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:03 am 

COVID probably ruined their bank loan prospects as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next