It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steam (returning or being restored) in 2019
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:15 pm 

Quote:
Kind of surprised that no one mentioned ex-Florida East Coast 4-6-2 # 148, which was undergoing serious work by U.S. Sugar in their shop down in Florida.

That has been a great restoration to follow. It's rivaling the degree of work the UP is doing on the Big Boy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:38 pm 

Georgetown Loop 40 should be back in service in silver plume sometime in 2019. Has not run at the loop since 2004, last ran at the Colorado railroad museum in 2013

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:27 pm 

Restoration of the Whippany Railway Museum's former U. S. Army, Virginia Blue Ridge Ry., Morris County Central RR 0-6-0 No. 4039 (VBR No. 5) is making progress, also, although much more slowly than was hoped. The new boiler is nearing completion in Colorado. The boiler tubes were shipped from Whippany to Colorado a couple of months ago. Original plans were to install them once the boiler was shipped to Whippany and mounted on the frame but that changed this past year. Anew cab has been constructed and the tender completely rebuilt as were all the appliances. Once the new, welded boiler is mounted, final assembly can take place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 am 

It's good to see that the Steam Railroading Institute, owners of Pere Marquette 2-8-4 #1225 in Owosso, Michigan, have already begun some serious work on Chicago & North Western Ten-Wheeler #175. Not sure if there is yet a completion timetable for the 4-6-0.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:53 am 

o anderson wrote:
Jones and Laughlin Steel narrow gauge 0-4-0T #58 will probably be in the news. I think we will be hearing from Rick Rowlands of the Younsgtown Steel Heritage Museum, any day about the operation of this engine.

Yes. We did a successful steam test of the boiler recently before we had to drain and winterize everything. Work continues over the winter and we are expecting to have 58 operating under her own power by May.

It is important to remember that it is not just the 58 that is being restored. We had to construct a railroad as well! So while 58 itself is a relatively small locomotive, building several hundred feet of track, regauging and rebuilding a Brookville and acquiring rolling stock has made the project much larger than it otherwise would be.

On May 11 we will be holding our own "Last Spike" ceremony that will signify the completion of the construction of the railroad and the initiation of the operation of the J&L Narrow Gauge Railroad. I hope to have 58 steaming on that day but "no promises"!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:25 pm 

WP&Y #73's boiler is in Toutle, WA scheduled to be returned this year for reassembly. We made some parts for Luke Johnson and the Toutle Valley Loco Works.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:43 pm 

I believe 69 will be running this year as well, the first time since 2013.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 pm 

Minnesota Transportation Museum has long been working on Northern Pacific Q-3 class Pacific #2156. Not sure how active that restoration is currently. They also have sister 4-6-2 #2153 on the premises, but apparently she is strictly a display. MTM also still has N.P. S-10 class Ten-Wheeler #328 which has not run for some years now. Not sure if there are any plans to try to put the 328 back into running condition.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:38 pm 

Sierra Railway 2-8-0 28 from what I've seen on FB is just about ready to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:42 pm 

We should be hearing something on the former San Antonio & Aransas Pass 4-4-0 #60 (from Stone Mountain) at Knoxville,Tn this year. It has been at least a year since a brand new tender was built.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:16 pm 

A friend visited his brother this weekend in Nashville, and got this shot of 576. The next step has been taken! Lets hope for a safe trip.

Les

Attachments:
Dixie # 576 1-13-19 at 9.19 AM Tom Mulvaney pix.jpeg
Dixie # 576 1-13-19 at 9.19 AM Tom Mulvaney pix.jpeg [ 140.35 KiB | Viewed 6753 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:35 am 

JohnnyWinkler wrote:
We should be hearing something on the former San Antonio & Aransas Pass 4-4-0 #60 (from Stone Mountain) at Knoxville,Tn this year. It has been at least a year since a brand new tender was built.

From what I have heard from sources in Knoxville, they are just about ready to ultrasound the boiler.

Also, apparently G&O owner Pete Clausen wants them to get started on 203 as well. So it seems like it will be a little longer for both 60 and 203 before they are in steam. When they are done, it seems we will have a few years of 3 operating steam locomotives in Knoxville.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:48 pm 

Les, my understanding on the NP #2156 is nothing more than putting it back together for display. So yes it is a cosmetic restoration but there is no serious movement to make it FRA compliant at this time. Blessings to the guys who are doing what they can to fix some ailments before it goes back together but with very little to no budget to work with it is not that deep of a project. Not to subtract from the efforts put forth but the main goal from my understanding is to get it put back together so it can be moved somewhere on the property. They took her down {apart} pretty far and that is why the guys are trying to address what they can while it is torn apart this far. But should a miracle happen and a million or two dollars appear for this project it all would be taken apart again and gone through. Wheels send out and that kind of thing. That is if this loco was going to go out on someones main line. I would not hold my breath for a million or two dollars to come to this project.

The #328 would of been a better candidate in my book {and it is not my book}. To the best of my knowledge there is no steam plans planned in the foreseeable future other than trying to get the #2156 moveable on MTM property. There is considerable work to be done to accomplish even this part of the project. Those NP pacifics were really nice looking engines, but the cold hard facts is where and who is going run it and pay for the repairs. For every railfan that wants to see his or her favorite locomotive run again there is cold hard reality that needs to be addressed before you start taking these things apart. Most of the time a cosmetic restoration is probably the way to go as how many mainline steam locomotives are actually going to get out and stretch their legs? Sorry don't mean to be preaching to the choir. This horse has been beaten enough in past threads. Hope I did not misunderstand your comments on #1256.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:18 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
NS6770fan wrote:
PRR 5550 is being constructed also. She is already around 30% complete...

30% wow! Let's see some photos!

I don’t know how to post photos here, but this is their website where it says “29.8%” complete. The date of May 2018 is inaccurate, but the rest is correct.
https://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:58 pm 

John Risley wrote:
Les, my understanding on the NP #2156 is nothing more than putting it back together for display. So yes it is a cosmetic restoration but there is no serious movement to make it FRA compliant at this time. Blessings to the guys who are doing what they can to fix some ailments before it goes back together but with very little to no budget to work with it is not that deep of a project. Not to subtract from the efforts put forth but the main goal from my understanding is to get it put back together so it can be moved somewhere on the property. They took her down {apart} pretty far and that is why the guys are trying to address what they can while it is torn apart this far. But should a miracle happen and a million or two dollars appear for this project it all would be taken apart again and gone through. Wheels send out and that kind of thing. That is if this loco was going to go out on someones main line. I would not hold my breath for a million or two dollars to come to this project.

John - Thanks. I looked at the MTM website, and it really didn't say what was going on with the 2156 outside of the fact that the restoration to operational status "stalled" due to major problems. Yes, they did say that the 2153 is strictly going to be displayed cosmetically. It isn't many museums that have sister engines like this. I can understand that strictly putting the 2156 back together again, probably makes the most sense for MTM although the note on their website doesn't specifically say that that is what they intend to do with 2156.

I appreciate your input.

Les

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next