It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CZ obs transferred to Maricopa Historical Society
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:11 pm 

davew833 wrote:
Alan, are you suggesting it be restored as a waiting room to be used again as such? After being used by Amtrak for a few years as the Maricopa station/waiting room, Amtrak found it unsuitable and brought in a portable building. I believe the main issue was not having sufficient air conditioning in the summer. I believe restroom issues might have also contributed.

The purpose would not be to be used again as a waiting room, but to be restored to it's condition as such. I believe that ADA restrooms was probably a major consideration. Given the location of the museum, the best solution would be to place the car inside a building which would protect the car from the harsh elements and provide adequate cooling. Out here, the extremely dry climate will destroy any sealant if directly exposed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:16 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Y'all HAD your chances.

https://www.pinalcentral.com/maricopa_m ... 9e2df.html

Quote:
Silver Horizon, a railcar that came to Maricopa in 2000 and was used as the Amtrak ticket station from 2001 to 2003, will be moved in January to the site of the former community pool, adjacent to the Maricopa Unified School District offices.

The railcar was purchased by the Maricopa Historical Society in 2017.

Once the railcar is moved, upgrades and added features will be built around the railcar’s new homesite and it will be open for public tours and history exhibits.

“We are looking forward to upgrading the car, building displays that can be interchanged, adding a research library, along with holding special events and open houses for the public to see the railcar,” Maricopa Historical Society President Paul Shirk said in a press release.

Originally owned by Pinal County, the Zephyr served as the Amtrak ticket station before a larger station was built closer to the tracks. Maricopa, then unincorporated, became an Amtrak stop after passenger trains stopped going through Phoenix due to lack of suitable tracks west of the metropolitan area.

With State Route 347 overpass construction taking place, railcar advocates determined that relocating the California Zephyr would be the best way to preserve it.

The effort to relocate the railcar is a partnership between the city and the Maricopa Historical Society.

“This makes so much sense to transfer the ownership to the nonprofit Maricopa Historical Society,” Pinal County Supervisor Anthony Smith said in the press release. “We are pleased to help keep alive this symbol of an era when Maricopa played an important role for rail travel in the United States.”

The railcar will be housed on land that was donated to Maricopa by John and Mary Lou Smith.

“We are extremely thankful to the Smith family for their generous donation of the land upon which the Zephyr will now sit, for our partnership with the Maricopa Historical Society and for the ability to preserve and display this part of Maricopa’s proud history for generations to come,” said Maricopa Mayor Christian Price.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:40 pm 

Thanks for posting Sandy. IMHO that's the next-to-worst solution; the worst being scrapping it. I live in Maricopa county (in the winters), and like most places these days, we need another problem like we need another drought.
I'd heard that the car has some relatively major structural issues that originally made it prohibitively expensive to make roadworthy, hence it being moved to Maricopa. I agree that a move to either Portola or IRM would have been the best solution. I may not live another 10 years to see this become a disaster (I'm 73), but I'm fairly certain that it eventually will become a very expensive albatross around Maricopa county's neck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:59 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The problems with this long-term future:

There are, to my count, five "operations" in the state of Arizona that would be expected to have the resources to deal with this car in the future, disregarding the questions of availability, condition, and "roadworthiness" for the moment.

Grand Canyon Railway: seems to have enough dome cars and the like, with many luxury cars already on the sidelines in what appear to be "reserve."

Arizona State RR Museum: It's not legitimately an "Arizona" car aside from its station use, therefore outside their scope.

Arizona Railway Museum: Same argument as ASRM, but has private car owners affiliated that might be interested, disregarding both the latest Amtrak "obstructionism" to PVs and the potential for the ARM to lose its outside connection, or how much is in those owners' wallets.

Verde Canyon RR: Hmmmmm. But I haven't seen them acquire anything new in ages. And I think they'd rather sell the private caboose on the end to parties than a whole obs, even a dome. And there's a tunnel--clearances?

Scottsdale RR Park: Hmmmmmmmmm.

Okay, New Mexico? California? Colorado? Long-term planning, folks.........

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:28 pm 

Portola is the logical place, it would give them a complete "mini-CZ" train set from the engine to the tail car.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:21 pm 

It breaks my heart to read about the condition of the car. We were lucky enough to ride the Silver Rapids from Seattle to Los Angeles to celebrate my wife's birthday.
This was offered by California Zephyr Tours.
They have subsequently sold all their rolling stock to a place in Ohio. The consist was the Silver Lariat and the Silver Rapids on the back of the Coast Starlight. There were only 8 passengers, and we were treated to great meals and an open bar.
I have attached the story of that trip.

Attachments:
KATHY's birthday 2013.pdf [291.03 KiB]
Downloaded 426 times

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 pm 

Folks,
I am a bit of a fan of the Zephyr trains, haveing viisited a number of them in museums.

I was at the Western Pacific Railroad Museum a couple of months ago and I am sad to say they are in no position to give any kind of home to that C,B & Q car in Arizona.

The cars there are mostly outdoors except for the WP Silver Platter, dining car. And a dome car has been outdoors without any kind of tarp for many years. So be aware that if this car goes up for sale to a new home; it should not be the WP Railroad Museum.

Ted66

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:09 pm 

ted66 wrote:
Folks,
I am a bit of a fan of the Zephyr trains, haveing viisited a number of them in museums.

I was at the Western Pacific Railroad Museum a couple of months ago and I am sad to say they are in no position to give any kind of home to that C,B & Q car in Arizona.

The cars there are mostly outdoors except for the WP Silver Platter, dining car. And a dome car has been outdoors without any kind of tarp for many years. So be aware that if this car goes up for sale to a new home; it should not be the WP Railroad Museum.

Ted66

I am reasonably certain you were first in the long line of fans stepping up to donate money, time or materials to help this situation out, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:58 pm 

Social media reports state that the move is slated for Thursday, Jan. 10th beginning at 11 AM.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:11 pm 

Thanks for the tip Sandy- I went to see it and took some pics which I'll post when I figure out how. The event was well organized by the mover and the city. Turns out they were the same who initially installed it in 1999. Cost I was told was around $27,000 not counting the use of the two cranes which go by-the hour. My guess would be total of less than $35,000. Evidently Maricopa County fronted some significant dollars.
After reconsidering and again looking at the car, maybe this was the best alternative. Maybe? The new site is just about 1/2 mile east of the old.
Ned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:33 pm 

If that's how much they paid to move that thing a half-mile, not including cranes, then they got royally screwed. The move itself should not have cost more than $10,000.00 to $15,000.00 dollars. But I guess when it's not your money, then who cares?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:22 pm 

The move to the new location:

https://www.pinalcentral.com/maricopa_m ... 80f9b.html