It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 am 

Last edited by Robert J on Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Steam (returning or being restored) in 2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:37 pm 

Robert J wrote:
Does anyone know the status of Nevada Northern 2-8-0 #81 which is undergoing an operational restoration? I heard *rumors* it may be under steam by fall 2019. Asking as I haven't seen 81 mentioned on this thread yet.
Post yesterday (Jan. 23rd) to the Nevada Northern Facebook page says:
Quote:
Work is also continuing on Locomotive 81 too. The entire running gear has been disassembled. Parts of it will be shipped to Salt Lake City for machining in the near future.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:56 pm 

Brian Norden wrote:
Robert J wrote:
Does anyone know the status of Nevada Northern 2-8-0 #81 which is undergoing an operational restoration? I heard *rumors* it may be under steam by fall 2019. Asking as I haven't seen 81 mentioned on this thread yet.
Post yesterday (Jan. 23rd) to the Nevada Northern Facebook page says:
Quote:
Work is also continuing on Locomotive 81 too. The entire running gear has been disassembled. Parts of it will be shipped to Salt Lake City for machining in the near future.

While we are at it, anyone know when #40 goes down? Is it at the end of the 2019 season or part way into 2020. Wondering if there is a chance for 3 steam engines at next years Winter weekends. (or if there is a chance of only 1 if #81 isn't ready yet).

Love how Nevada Northern keeps working away, #81 will be quite the site to see!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:14 pm 

It is so amazing to see this many steam locomotives that are being restored/returned to operation. It makes me so happy to see this.

There is another locomotive that I recently realized hasn't been mentioned yet. Does anyone have a good idea of where SP&S 4-8-4 #700 sits right now in regards to the work being done to her?

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:10 am 

SteamEnthusiast4000 wrote:

There is another locomotive that I recently realized hasn't been mentioned yet. Does anyone have a good idea of where SP&S 4-8-4 #700 sits right now in regards to the work being done to her?

Chris -

I recently saw a photo of number 700 in the shop being worked on with a comment on the photo that she was expected to be back in operation in 2019. I think it might have been a Mitch Goldman photo, but I can't say for sure. Also don't recall how recent the photo was.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the SP&S Northern's were actually diverted from one of the Northern Pacific orders and that 700 should have had an NP number as part of that particular series. Maybe I have that wrong and she was actually ordered by the SP&S as a separate order with the builder. Anyone know for sure?

Will be good to see the handsome 4-8-4 back in service.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:27 am 

The SP&S 4-8-4’s are virtually identical to the NP A-3’s. On steamlocomotive.com, it says in the description of the Sp&S 4-8-4’s “The Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railway was owned jointly by the Northern Pacific and the Great Northern and was never permitted to build steam locomotives of its own design. Instead, it received most of its motive power used, as hand-me-downs, from its parents. On rare occasions, locomotives arrived new from add-ons to NP or GN orders. This happened in 1938 when three NP class A-3 Northerns were deliverd from the Baldwin Locomotive Works. On the SP&S these three were given Class E-1 designation and road numbers 700 through 702. The only difference was that on the SP&S they were oil burners.”

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:56 am 

I do believe we will have steam in every state this year? I will count smaller scale park locomotives.

If you have never seen the SP&S 700 she is one of the finest locomotives in America.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:34 am 

Another narrow gauge (3' gauge) locomotive to add to the list: Doe River Gorge Camp (on the old ET&WNC right of way in the Doe River Gorge) is restoring the Crown that used to sit on the turntable at the Huntsville, Alabama Museum. It has had its hydro test, and is being piped up. There are some improvements being made (lengthened smokebox by 18" & adding Master Mechanics front end, conversion to coal, etc.), and the steam test could come sometime this spring after more parts arrive. A new red oak cab has been built by one of the volunteers, and she is being painted to resemble the Eureka, based on Baldwin Paint Scheme #1 (rather than one of the garish park engines that abound!). No date has been set yet for operation, but 2 "new" coaches have arrived and are in operation using our 8 ton Plymouth.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:14 am 

Les Beckman wrote:
SteamEnthusiast4000 wrote:

Does anyone have a good idea of where SP&S 4-8-4 #700 sits right now in regards to the work being done to her?

Chris -

I recently saw a photo of number 700 in the shop being worked on with a comment on the photo that she was expected to be back in operation in 2019. I think it might have been a Mitch Goldman photo, but I can't say for sure. Also don't recall how recent the photo was.

Les

Here's the photo of SP&S No. 700 under restoration taken in October 2018:
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/675259/

I was told they hope to have her back in steam later this year.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:49 am 

Well - we can also add CN 4-6-2 No. 5080 located near Calgary, Canada to the list.

Thanks PMC for his update on RYPN!

https://panow.com/article/823985/pa-loc ... -departure

/Mitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:43 am 

Tom F wrote:
I do believe we will have steam in every state this year? I will count smaller scale park locomotives.

Rhode Island has been steam-less for many, many years. (Unless you count private 7.25" gauge operations.)

Vermont (once home to Steamtown) lacks operational steam, at least to my knowledge. There may be a 24" Crown operating occasionally at Quechee Gorge.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 am 

elecuyer wrote:
Tom F wrote:

Rhode Island has been steam-less for many, many years. (Unless you count private 7.25" gauge operations.)

Vermont (once home to Steamtown) lacks operational steam, at least to my knowledge. There may be a 24" Crown operating occasionally at Quechee Gorge.

Ed, there is an operational 22 ton Heisler at the Passumpsic Railroad, Barnet, VT.

Keith

Last edited by LVRR2095 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:21 am 

Quote:
there is an operational 22 ton Hessler at the Passumpsic Railroad, Barnet, VT.

Oops, I forgot about that one. Thanks for the reminder. I'd like to see it sometime, but as a private operation, it seems to operate very infrequently, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:07 pm 

Speaking of Big steam, UP just posted an update on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plt6UgV ... _W8gf2tzto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:50 am 

Tom F wrote:

Not familiar with all the smaller scale park locomotives -

Refresh our memory regarding operational (or even under restoration) steam in these states:

Missouri
Montana
North Dakota
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Arkansas

/Mitch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next