It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Volunteering at Steamtown
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:08 am 

Has any organization ever had to remove a volunteer from their roster due to that person stirring the pot and not really adding anything to progress the goals of the organization. Sometimes it is the person who thinks there is too much pot stirring that has their hands on the spoon. Just my personal observations, after 40 plus years in railroad preservation.
Mike Tillger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:33 am 

The only drama here is Len (or for some strange reason someone pretending to be him). There's no drama and a lot of people, young and old, enjoy volunteering there. Pay no attention to the one bad apple.

Moderators, please delete this post and send "565" to the trash bin where he belongs.

Also, Steamtown USA has not existed for about 30 years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:01 am 

I have come to the realization that I have virtually no patience any more. I read Lackawanna565's post. I read it a second time. Then I deleted him, and everything he's ever posted. And banned him by email, ip address and user name.It was fun. I feel refreshed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:04 am 

Dave Crosby wrote:
The only drama here is Len (or for some strange reason someone pretending to be him). There's no drama and a lot of people, young and old, enjoy volunteering there. Pay no attention to the one bad apple.

Moderators, please delete this post and send "565" to the trash bin where he belongs.

Also, Steamtown USA has not existed for about 30 years.

Done as suggested.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:44 am 

steaminfo wrote:
I have come to the realization that I have virtually no patience any more. I read Lackawanna565's post. I read it a second time. Then I deleted him, and everything he's ever posted. And banned him by email, ip address and user name.It was fun. I feel refreshed.

I enjoyed reading this more than I probably should have. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. Well done!

DC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:47 am 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:57 am 

I think this brings up a good question. How many of our organizations do background checks on new volunteers to avoid situations like this? Even a quick google search can reveal quite a bit about somebody.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:18 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Man, I miss out on all the good entertainment around here.

Didn't even get to pop the popcorn......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:45 pm 

My Trolley Museum has not had to do it, but another non-rail organization did. The individual had been an approved activity leader but was disruptive and not following instructions. It took a Board Meeting and consultation with Risk Management but the individual was dismissed.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:19 pm 

Ah man I missed the excitement.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:28 pm 

You didn't miss much. Just a stain in the community that refuses to just die and leave us alone. He has ruined virtually every project he touches or names.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:29 pm 

Think this an interesting subject not because of the posting I missed. But if the socially correct police get involved in membership conflicts or personalities were doomed. Every place I worked for tried to control the workforce by increasing rules and company regulations rather than "take the offender to the side". The normal MO was to irritate everybody with more rules when they needed to address the individual. So remember that every time you want to make a new rule you are adding to the bureaucracy of herding cats at your volunteer organization. I am not saying ignore a problems if there is indeed one but am suggesting approach the person personally with a witness. We all need a wake up call at work or play once in a while. If it continues to be a real problem than deal with the problem. Back ground checks could work but who is going to take care of this investigation? I do see where it is a worthy concept if the wrong person gets hired or put in position to do harm though. Just not sure who is going to conduct this. Your already short of train crew, mechanics, managers and section crew.

The other problem I see at my museum is more a popularity issue rather than any serious wrong doing. Some of the most popular and often talented volunteers back stab and gossip like 7th grade school girls and it is often nothing more than he said she said, did you hear that... and they do not see this or recognise this BS as a big problem as to why new blood seldom sticks around. So Joe Schmoe is not Mr Wonderful but he is demonized behind his back and the paper tiger comes alive. BS becomes truth and the drama is off and running. I say police yourself and ourselves before looking for more rules. Just for a giant disclaimer I have been as guilty as the next person many times. I take my opinion as gospel truth until proven wrong. And I have been proven wrong many times. Loose tongue is similar to putting foot in mouth. I have done it and so have you. So it begins with us not them. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:55 pm 

Geez I'm sorry I missed. I never get to see the neat stuff.
Sounds like the squeaky wheel finally burned a bearing off. No loss.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:44 pm 

I don't think this was the usual miscreant most of us may be thinking of (think 0-6-0 in the quarry) but a former cohort of his that also briefly volunteered at Steamtown on the Lackawanna 565 project, hence the screen name. This person also had challenges with writing, not so much with spelling but writing in short, choppy sentences.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:08 pm 

rem1028 wrote:
I don't think this was the usual miscreant most of us may be thinking of (think 0-6-0 in the quarry) but a former cohort of his that also briefly volunteered at Steamtown on the Lackawanna 565 project, hence the screen name. This person also had challenges with writing, not so much with spelling but writing in short, choppy sentences.

My recollection is that "Lackawanna(space)565" was Len and that "Lackawanna(no space)565" was Matt. Two different people. They both identified themselves in posts on this board at some point and Matt's identity was confirmed in a post by afboone.

I followed some advice to stay off the computer for few hours in the morning as a way to start the day on a calm note so I did not see the post or posts that required Mr. Bailey to spend some of his valuable time babysitting the forum this morning. Unfortunate that he had to deal with such a thing in the morning but, it appears that on some level, he enjoyed it. Mr. Bailey, thank you for your time and continued effort to guide the discourse.

It is unfortunate that, for some reason, so many STEA-related discussions on this forum reflect poorly on the people involved. There are many good folks (employees and volunteers) at the site in Scranton.

Mr. Tillger - A very astute observation, as always. How are things with 514?