It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steam (returning or being restored) in 2019
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:04 am 

SteamEnthusiast4000 wrote:

Also, I remembered that there is another locomotive being restored in 2019. Does anyone have any specifics on how the restoration of Weyerhaeuser Timber Co. 2-6-6-2T No. 108 is going over at the Black Hills Central Railroad?

I was there this summer and was told work is done as time permits. They have two other steamers plus rolling stock l, and no dedicated shop employees - people in the shop are the same ones running the trains. They did post a video in December of them riveting the throat sheet. https://youtu.be/ifNzLRJfe7w

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:30 am 

Does the little green tank engine still operate at Black Hills? I thought they were down to just the mallet these days based on their operating schedule having diesel operate one week a month consistent with a boiler wash schedule.

On my visit to black hills I got super lucky and was riding on the last day the articulated was running and they were firing up the tank engine for following day. Naturally I made sure to come back for a ride behind her as well!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:39 pm 

They typically have that one in use during the mid-week and beginning and end of the tourist season when business isn't super busy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:44 am 

An article from Trains released yesterday gives us a better idea of how Reading 4-8-4 #2100's restoration is progressing. I'm very happy that her next lease on life looks this good. I hope to see her in action when she is up and running.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... e9QZXq9dNo

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:03 pm 

LS&I Consolidation # 21 privately owned in Wisconsin. Any restoration work being done on her in 2019?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:11 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Brian Norden wrote:
Robert J wrote:
Does anyone know the status of Nevada Northern 2-8-0 #81 which is undergoing an operational restoration? I heard *rumors* it may be under steam by fall 2019. Asking as I haven't seen 81 mentioned on this thread yet.
Post yesterday (Jan. 23rd) to the Nevada Northern Facebook page says:
Quote:
Work is also continuing on Locomotive 81 too. The entire running gear has been disassembled. Parts of it will be shipped to Salt Lake City for machining in the near future.

While we are at it, anyone know when #40 goes down? Is it at the end of the 2019 season or part way into 2020. Wondering if there is a chance for 3 steam engines at next years Winter weekends. (or if there is a chance of only 1 if #81 isn't ready yet).

Love how Nevada Northern keeps working away, #81 will be quite the site to see!

I asked about when #40 goes down when I was there a couple weeks ago. The answer was "2020." They certainly aim to have 81 done by then and when asked about a new 1472 for #40 they mentioned that they did 93 in a year so.... If you don't get 3 steam engines next year it shouldn't be all that long before that's a thing. I can't wait. I just did a winter photography weekend for the first time and I had so much fun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:23 am 

Clearly, there has been quite a few steam locomotives getting a lot of TLC as they move closer to operating under their own power again.

So, let's do another recap of what has been stated so far. (Please correct me if I say something wrong.)

- UP 4-8-8-4 Big Boy #4014 is slated to return to operation before the 150th anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad on May 10th (also marking the first time a Big Boy has moved under his own power in ~60 years). THE KING RETURNS!

- WMSR (C&O) 2-6-6-2 #1309 is making continued progress (despite a very rocky start) towards operation, and the plan is to have her up and running around the 4th of July. I hope to see her when she's running under her own power.

- AT&SF 4-8-4 #2926 is inching closer and closer to having her restoration finished. She will be quite a sight when she's finished up.

- B&M 4-6-2 #3713 is still being restored at Steamtown, and, with some luck, we will see her run under her own power in the not-so-distant future. I know she will look really nice, but, personally, I hope they install the "earmuffs" (small smoke deflectors) on her again at some point.

- RDG 4-8-4 #2100 is steadily getting closer and closer to finishing up her restoration, and what a sight she will be. It will be a truly wonderful day to see her in her former glory again.

- With J. Neils Lumber Company 3-truck Shay #5 now up and running, and Frisco 2-10-0 #1630 still operating well, UP 2-8-0 #428 can now get some more focused attention on her restoration. I think this ol' girl has been very patient, and, now, she's going to be getting a lot of TLC.

- Middletown & Hummelstown is continuing to restore CN 2-6-0 #91 as time and finances permit. It will be nice to see her up and running again.

- NC&StL 4-8-4 #576 has been moved out of the park, and it will soon begin the restoration towards its operation. I'm so glad that things are going so right for her, and what a beauty she will be when she's finished.

- Alaska RR 2-8-0 #557 is moving even closer towards operation. Best of luck, guys, and keep going strong.

- Maine Central 4-6-2 #470 is continuing to move along very nicely with her restoration. I can't even imagine how beautiful she will be once she is up and running.

- Middle Fork 3-truck Climax #9 is expected to be operational this year and slated to join in a "three-day rail heritage event on September 6 to 8, 2019" that celebrates both #9's return to operation and the completion of the Cass-Durbin line being rehabilitated. Way to go, Cass & D&GVR!

- Columbia River Belt Line 2-4-4-2 "Skookum" returned to service last year, and she is scheduled to participate in a charter in March. It's good to have you back, Skookum.

- GTW 2-8-2 #4070 continues to move along with her restoration. While she is still quite a ways from being finished, here's hoping it won't be too long before she's running down the rails again.

- It was announced on New Year's Day that WK&S 0-6-0T #65 has been taken into the shop, and it appears that she is going to be restored back to operation. Congratulations, WK&S! I'm so glad you're bringing her back to steam.

- St. Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt) 4-8-4 #819 is being discussed as being restored (VERY slowly) to operation as time, money, and volunteers allow. I do hope she is able to get up and running again in the future.

- Heber Valley Railroad (UP) 2-8-0 #618 is still moving along steadily with her restoration (as best as we know) as resources are available, and the plan, at this time, is that she should be operational by May 2020. [Thanks burbri45]

- D&RGW 2-8-0 #223 has been in restoration for 20 years now. Her tender is basically complete (minus some miscellaneous components) and painted. At this point, the emphasis of the work will be on the locomotive (with the drivers & axles being the main goal for this year). [Thanks burbri45]

- C&NW 4-6-0 #1385 is getting a new boiler made in St. Louis (and that might be done this year). The running gear is all but done and may be finished soon. There will be a lot of work to be done to make the new boiler fit all the appliances and frame, but once the boiler is completed, that work should be able to begin. [Thanks John Risley]

- PRR 4-4-4-4 #5550 is still steadily being constructed. She is already around 30% complete. [Thanks NS6770fan]

- US Army/Navy S100 0-6-0T #5002 has begun her restoration at the shop of Brett Goertemoeller, owner of BMG Railroad Contractors, LLC. They appear to be making fast progress already (including performing the ultrasound), and it looks like it might not take too long before she’s running again. [Thanks airforcerail]

- N&W 4-8-0 #475 just started her 1472 SDI. She is scheduled to return to service by this fall, and N&W 4-8-4 #611 will be joining in the festivities of #475 coming out of her 1472 SDI. [Thanks Kelly Anderson]

- New Hope Valley 0-4-0T #17 should return to service later this year after being out of service for ~2 years while undergoing its mandated FRA work. [Thanks Evan]

- Jones and Laughlin Steel 0-4-0T #58 had a successful steam test of the boiler before everything was drained and winterized. Work will continue over the winter and, hopefully, #58 should be operating under her own power by May. [Thanks Rick Rowlands]

- NP 0-6-0 #924 is progressing along steadily at the Northwest Railway Museum. [Thanks o anderson]

- WP 0-6-0 #165 has its tender completed, and the boiler repairs are getting close to being completed at the Portola Railway Museum. [Thanks o anderson]

- RGS 4-6-0 #20 is likely to leave the Strasburg shops this year and return to the Colorado Railroad Museum for final assembly and restoration tasks. [Thanks o anderson]

- D&RG 4-6-0 #168 is proceeding along smoothly to operational condition at the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad shops in Antonito. [Thanks o anderson]

- WW&F 0-4-4T #10's new boiler should be completed and installed by the end of 2019. [Thanks elecuyer]

- Florida East Coast 4-6-2 #148 has undergone a lot of serious work by U.S. Sugar in their shop down in Florida. It is wonderful to see this ol' girl getting this much long overdue TLC. She should be absolutely gorgeous when she is finished up. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- NP 4-6-0 #1364 has also been receiving some work up at Toppenish, Washington. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- Santa Maria Valley 2-8-2 #21 appears (based off of their website) to be progressing along nicely in her restoration in Astoria, Oregon. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- Georgetown Loop 2-8-0 #40 should be back in service in Silver Plume sometime in 2019. [Thanks Tails]

- U. S. Army / Virginia Blue Ridge Ry. / Morris County Central RR 0-6-0 #4039 (VBR #5) is also making progress. The new boiler is almost completed over in Colorado, and the boiler tubes were shipped from Whippany to Colorado several months ago. The original plans were to install them once the boiler was shipped to Whippany and mounted on the frame, but that changed this past year. A new cab has been constructed, and the tender has been completely rebuilt, along with all the appliances. Once the new (welded) boiler is mounted, the final assembly can take place. [Thanks Al Holleuffer] (P.S. How have things been? I haven't heard from you in a few years.)

- C&NW 4-6-0 #175 has already begun to receive some serious work from SRI. She will be a very nice addition for them when all is said and done. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- WP&Y 2-8-2 #73's boiler is in Toutle, WA, and it is scheduled to be returned this year for reassembly. [Thanks scwillis51]

- WP&Y 2-8-0 #69 might also be running this year (for the first time since 2013). [Thanks JohnHillier]

- Sierra Railway 2-8-0 #28, based off of their FB page, should be getting very close to being ready to run again. [Thanks o484]

- San Antonio & Aransas Pass 4-4-0 #60 is about ready to have its boiler ultrasounded, and, apparently, G&O owner Pete Clausen wants them to get started on W&L #203 as well. [Thanks southern154]

- Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad 2-6-0 #5 is entering its third year of restoration in Nevada City, CA. The 1960 "Quickfire" Dixon boiler installed by Universal Studios will be replaced with a replica boiler (and closer to the original) that was built for a sister Baldwin 2-6-0 locomotive, "Glenbrook." The Carson & Tahoe Flume & Lumber locomotive in Carson City has been restored with modern repairs to its existing boiler. [Thanks o anderson]

- Duluth & Northeastern 2-8-0 #28 is in the final stages of some extensive running gear work and should be back in service this summer (with a little 'facelift'). [Thanks The Fireman]

- Little River Railroad 4-6-2 #110 is in the shop this winter. It is uncertain if this is for the 1472 day rebuild or not. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- US Army #4023 / Virginia Blue Ridge #9 / New Hope and Ivyland 0-6-0 #9 is still undergoing an extensive operational restoration at the SMS shops in Bridgeport, NJ. Once it is completed, the railroad plans to use the locomotive to supplement its diesel fleet used to switch cars in and around the facility. [Thanks Mgoldman]

- Oregon Railroad & Navigation 4-6-2 #197 is slowly, but steadily, undergoing a lengthy operational restoration by a group named the "Friends of the OR&N 197". [Thanks Mgoldman]

- WP&Y 2-8-0 #61 is an outside-frame locomotive that once was in the Skagway River as rip-rap. Stathi Pappas, the current owner, and his Stockton Locomotive Works are slowly working on this project as time is available. The ultrasound of the boiler shell was good, and the driver bearing surfaces (and more) are being faced off. On Febraury 20th, 2019, the frame arrived at Stockton Locomotive Works, and it was unloaded and rolled into the shop. It’s great to see another locomotive getting yet another chance at life. [Thanks Brian Norden]

- D&RGW (D&S) 2-8-2 #493 is still continuing to be restored to operation, and she is also being converted over to being an oil-fired locomotive. Meanwhile, the D&S crews are running SP 4-6-0 #18 on the line through spring to gain experience with oil-firing for when #493 is up and running. [Thanks o484]

- The V&T 2-6-0 “Lyon” is a full size standard gauge wood burning replica steam locomotive being built by the Mason City & Clear Lake Electric Railroad Historical Society. As far as I can tell, the restoration/construction of this locomotive is progressing steadily. [Thanks Mgoldman]

- SP 2-8-2 #786 continues to make slow, but steady, progress in her restoration to service. The Strasburg shop has also done some past work for the group. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- Conway Scenic #7470 should be running again soon, and the Conway Scenic Railroad is considering the idea of also restoring Maine Central 2-8-0 #501 after #7470 is up and running. [Thanks steamchaser]

- Nevada Northern 2-8-0 #81 continues to have work done, and donations for her restoration are still coming in. [Thanks Brian Norden]

- SP&S 4-8-4 #700 is proceeding very nicely in her rebuild, and they are expecting her to return to service this year. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- CN 4-6-2 #5080 has been “sold” to the Aspen Crossing Railway Corporation “…where it will be resurrected within two years and get her back on track”. It appears that as of today (March 18th, 2019), the project is getting underway in regards to moving the locomotive and tender. [Thanks Mgoldman]

- Weyerhaeuser Timber Co. 2-6-6-2T No. 108 is being restored at Black Hills Central Railroad as time permits. [Thanks hullmat991]

I know that Reading & Northern is still working on RDG 4-8-4 #2102, AoSR is continuing to work on their locomotives, and the Everett Railroad has ideas for Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain 2-8-0 #38, but I don't have a clear idea on where they stand with their projects at this time. If anyone has more detailed information on any of these locomotives that they are safe to share, please feel more than welcome to do so.

What a difference thus far. What started as a list of 14 steam locomotives under restoration to operation has grown to 52 locomotives (over 3× the original starting number). This is truly amazing, and it really brings a smile to my face to see so much steam moving towards operation again.

If there are any other steam locomotives starting (or still undergoing) an operational restoration, please feel free to list which locomotive it is (and roughly where things stand, if you know). Likewise, if you know any additional details (that can be shared) for any of the locomotives already mentioned, please feel free to inform us. We could always use more good news in regards to steam.

{Lastly, while it isn't currently being restored, U.S. Army / TVRM #610 was pushed into the shops around September last year for evaluation on the feasibility of possibly restoring her again. I guess we'll see what happens.}

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:49 am 

Can confirm that USATC 5002 is moving along swiftly. This weekend a big volunteer group (mostly a bunch of us from IRM that know Brett) got about half the boiler ultrasounded along with some other jobs. Throttle is out, smokebox ring and door are off now, starting to think about pulling the valves.

There are things about her that are definitely gonna take some work, but before too long she'll be steaming again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:38 am 

Louisville and Nashville 152 is in the process of their 1472 in New Haven, KY.

https://www.kyrail.org/crew-152.asp

C&O 2716 is still being prepped for it’s move over CSX to Ravenna, KY.

https://www.kentuckysteam.org/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:34 am 

Gotta book mark this site - looks like it's been kept up to date, just stumbled upon it and glad I did.

Steam Railroading - by Christian Ellis:

https://steamengineresource.weebly.com/ ... tored.html

Enjoy the link - *some* in progress restorations listed with pics.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:36 am 

Silver Dollar City's #14 entered service this week. As I understand it, this is a direct sister to their #13, with their serial numbers right next to each other. Both of them worked in a quarry 'back home' in a previous life, and #13 came to SDC first, then #14 came to SDC a few years ago and went through a total overhaul.

Kudos to the crew at Silver Dollar City for a job well done!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:30 pm 

It has been over 1 month since the last update, so I thought it was time for one.

Clearly, there are quite a few steam locomotives getting a lot of TLC as they move closer to operating under their own power again.

So, let's do another recap of what has been stated so far.

- Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy #4014 is slated to return to operation before the 150th anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad on May 10th (also marking the first time a Big Boy has moved under his own power in ~60 years). Yesterday (4/27/19), #4014 was brought out of the shops under a full head of steam and cleared his throat. THE KING IS ALIVE AND HAS SPOKEN!

- Western Maryland Scenic Railroad (Chesapeake & Ohio) 2-6-6-2 #1309 is making continued progress (despite a very rocky start) towards operation, and the plan is to have her up and running around the 4th of July. Recent photos in another thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43294) show the locomotive looking in much better shape. I hope to see her when she's running under her own power.

- Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe 4-8-4 #2926 is inching even closer and closer to having her restoration finished. She will be quite a sight when she's finished up.

- Boston & Maine 4-6-2 #3713 is still being restored at Steamtown, and, with some luck, we will see her run under her own power in the not-so-distant future. I know she will look really nice, but, personally, I hope they install the "earmuffs" (small smoke deflectors) on her again at some point.

- Reading 4-8-4 #2100 is steadily getting closer and closer to finishing up her restoration, and what a sight she will be. It will be a truly wonderful day to see her in her former glory again.

- With J. Neils Lumber Company 3-truck Shay #5 now up and running, and Frisco 2-10-0 #1630 still operating well, Union Pacific 2-8-0 #428 can now get some more focused attention on her restoration. I think this ol' girl has been very patient, and, now, she's going to be getting a lot of TLC.

- Middletown & Hummelstown is continuing to restore Canadian National 2-6-0 #91 as time and finances permit. It will be nice to see her up and running again.

- Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis 4-8-4 #576 has been moved out of the park, and it is beginning her restoration towards operation. I'm so glad that things are going so right for her, and what a beauty she will be when she's finished.

- Alaska Railroad 2-8-0 #557 is moving even closer towards operation. Best of luck, guys, and keep going strong.

- Maine Central 4-6-2 #470 is continuing to move along very nicely with her restoration. I can't even imagine how beautiful she will be once she is up and running.

- Middle Fork 3-truck Climax #9 is expected to be operational this year and slated to join in a "three-day rail heritage event on September 6 to 8, 2019" that celebrates both #9's return to operation and the completion of the Cass-Durbin line being rehabilitated. Way to go, Cass & D&GVR!

- Columbia River Belt Line 2-4-4-2 "Skookum" returned to service last year. She participated in a charter in March, and she is at Niles Canyon Railway right now (where she has already ran a doubleheader with Clover Valley Lumber 2-6-6-2T #4). It's good to have you back, Skookum.

- Grand Trunk Western 2-8-2 #4070 continues to move along with her restoration. While she is still quite a ways from being finished, here's hoping it won't be too long before she's running down the rails again.

- It was announced on New Year's Day that Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern 0-6-0T #65 has been taken into the shop, and it appears that she is going to be restored back to operation. Congratulations, WK&S! I'm so glad you're bringing her back to steam.

- St. Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt) 4-8-4 #819 is being discussed as being restored (VERY slowly) to operation as time, money, and volunteers allow. I do hope she is able to get up and running again in the future.

- Heber Valley Railroad (Union Pacific) 2-8-0 #618 is still moving along steadily with her restoration (as best as we know) as resources are available, and the plan, at this time, is that she should be operational by May 2020. [Thanks burbri45]

- Denver & Rio Grande Western 2-8-0 #223 has been in restoration for 20 years now. Her tender is basically complete (minus some miscellaneous components) and painted. At this point, the emphasis of the work will be on the locomotive (with the drivers & axles being the main goal for this year). [Thanks burbri45] The Rio Grande 223 Restoration Project has recently hit a roadblock with the restoration, and they will not be able to resume work until a new agreement can be worked out with Ogden City. Best of luck, guys.

- Chicago & Northwestern 4-6-0 #1385 is getting a new boiler made in St. Louis (and that might be done this year). The running gear is all but done and may be finished soon. There will be a lot of work to be done to make the new boiler fit all the appliances and frame, but once the boiler is completed, that work should be able to begin. [Thanks John Risley]

- Pennsylvania 4-4-4-4 #5550 is still steadily being constructed. She is already around 30% complete. [Thanks NS6770fan]

- US Army/Navy S100 0-6-0T #5002 has begun her restoration at the shop of Brett Goertemoeller, owner of BMG Railroad Contractors, LLC. They appear to be making fast progress already (including performing the ultrasound), and it looks like it might not take too long before she’s running again. [Thanks airforcerail] Over the weekend of 3/16/19 - 3/17/19, they got about half of the boiler ultrasounded, along with some other jobs. The throttle is out, the smokebox ring and door are off, and they were starting to think about pulling the valves. [Thanks WhiskeyRiver1919]

- Norfolk & Western 4-8-0 #475 just started her 1472 SDI. She is scheduled to return to service by this fall, and N&W 4-8-4 #611 will be joining in the festivities of #475 coming out of her 1472 SDI. [Thanks Kelly Anderson]

- New Hope Valley 0-4-0T #17 should return to service later this year after being out of service for ~2 years while undergoing its mandated FRA work. [Thanks Evan]

- Jones and Laughlin Steel 0-4-0T #58 has been successfully steamed up, and she has moved under her own power. It doesn't look like it will be long before she is finished. [Thanks Rick Rowlands]

- Northern Pacific 0-6-0 #924 is progressing along steadily at the Northwest Railway Museum. [Thanks o anderson]

- Western Pacific 0-6-0 #165 has its tender completed, and the boiler repairs are getting close to being completed at the Portola Railway Museum. [Thanks o anderson]

- Rio Grande Southern 4-6-0 #20 is likely to leave the Strasburg shops this year and return to the Colorado Railroad Museum for final assembly and restoration tasks. [Thanks o anderson]

- Denver & Rio Grande 4-6-0 #168 is proceeding along smoothly to operational condition at the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad shops in Antonito. She passed her hydrostatic test earlier this month, and it might not be too much longer before she is ready to run. [Thanks o anderson]

- Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington 0-4-4T #10's new boiler should be completed and installed by the end of 2019. [Thanks elecuyer]

- Florida East Coast 4-6-2 #148 has undergone a lot of serious work by U.S. Sugar in their shop down in Florida. It is wonderful to see this ol' girl getting this much long overdue TLC. She should be absolutely gorgeous when she is finished up. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- Northern Pacific 4-6-0 #1364 has also been receiving some work up at Toppenish, Washington. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- Santa Maria Valley 2-8-2 #21 appears (based off of their website) to be progressing along nicely in her restoration in Astoria, Oregon. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- Georgetown Loop 2-8-0 #40 should be back in service in Silver Plume sometime in 2019. [Thanks Tails]

- U. S. Army / Virginia Blue Ridge Ry. / Morris County Central RR 0-6-0 #4039 (VBR #5) is also making progress. The new boiler is almost completed over in Colorado, and the boiler tubes were shipped from Whippany to Colorado several months ago. The original plans were to install them once the boiler was shipped to Whippany and mounted on the frame, but that changed this past year. A new cab has been constructed, and the tender has been completely rebuilt, along with all the appliances. Once the new (welded) boiler is mounted, the final assembly can take place. [Thanks Al Holleuffer] (P.S. How have things been? I haven't heard from you in a few years.)

- Chicago & Northwestern 4-6-0 #175 has already begun to receive some serious work from Steam Railway Institute. She will be a very nice addition for them when all is said and done. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- White Pass & Yukon 2-8-2 #73's boiler is in Toutle, WA, and it is scheduled to be returned this year for reassembly. [Thanks scwillis51]

- White Pass & Yukon 2-8-0 #69 might also be running this year (for the first time since 2013). [Thanks JohnHillier]

- Sierra Railway 2-8-0 #28 has returned to the rails and has doubleheaded with Sierra Railway 4-6-0 #3.

- San Antonio & Aransas Pass 4-4-0 #60 is about ready to have its boiler ultrasounded, and, apparently, G&O owner Pete Clausen wants them to get started on Washington & Lincolnton #203 as well. [Thanks southern154]

- Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad 2-6-0 #5 is entering its third year of restoration in Nevada City, CA. The 1960 "Quickfire" Dixon boiler installed by Universal Studios will be replaced with a replica boiler (and closer to the original) that was built for a sister Baldwin 2-6-0 locomotive, "Glenbrook." The Carson & Tahoe Flume & Lumber locomotive in Carson City has been restored with modern repairs to its existing boiler. [Thanks o anderson]

- Duluth & Northeastern 2-8-0 #28 is in the final stages of some extensive running gear work and should be back in service this summer (with a little 'facelift'). [Thanks The Fireman]

- Little River Railroad 4-6-2 #110 is in the shop this winter. It is uncertain if this is for the 1472 day rebuild or not. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- US Army #4023 / Virginia Blue Ridge #9 / New Hope and Ivyland 0-6-0 #9 is still undergoing an extensive operational restoration at the SMS shops in Bridgeport, NJ. Once it is completed, the railroad plans to use the locomotive to supplement its diesel fleet used to switch cars in and around the facility. [Thanks Mgoldman]

- Oregon Railroad & Navigation 4-6-2 #197 is slowly, but steadily, undergoing a lengthy operational restoration by a group named the "Friends of the OR&N 197". [Thanks Mgoldman]

- White Pass & Yukon 2-8-0 #61 is an outside-frame locomotive that once was in the Skagway River as rip-rap. Stathi Pappas, the current owner, and his Stockton Locomotive Works are slowly working on this project as time is available. The ultrasound of the boiler shell was good, and the driver bearing surfaces (and more) are being faced off. On Febraury 20th, 2019, the frame arrived at Stockton Locomotive Works, and it was unloaded and rolled into the shop. It’s great to see another locomotive getting yet another chance at life. [Thanks Brian Norden]

- Denver & Rio Grande Western (Durango & Silverton) 2-8-2 #493 is still continuing to be restored to operation, and she is also being converted over to being an oil-fired locomotive. Meanwhile, the D&S crews are running Southern Pacific 4-6-0 #18 on the line through spring to gain experience with oil-firing for when #493 is up and running. [Thanks o484] {Side note: SP #18 recently had her driver's side piston shatter, and the D&S crews are working hastily to repair the damage and return #18 back into service.}

- The Virginia & Truckee 2-6-0 “Lyon” is a full size standard gauge wood burning replica steam locomotive being built by the Mason City & Clear Lake Electric Railroad Historical Society. As far as I can tell, the restoration/construction of this locomotive is progressing steadily. [Thanks Mgoldman]

- Southern Pacific 2-8-2 #786 continues to make slow, but steady, progress in her restoration to service. The Strasburg shop has also done some past work for the group. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- Conway Scenic #7470 should be running again soon, and the Conway Scenic Railroad is considering the idea of also restoring Maine Central 2-8-0 #501 after #7470 is up and running. [Thanks steamchaser]

- Nevada Northern 2-8-0 #81 continues to have work done, and donations for her restoration are still coming in. [Thanks Brian Norden]

- Spokane, Portland & Seattle 4-8-4 #700 is proceeding very nicely in her rebuild, and they are expecting her to return to service this year. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- Canadian National 4-6-2 #5080 has been “sold” to the Aspen Crossing Railway Corporation “…where it will be resurrected within two years and get her back on track”. It appears that as of today (March 18th, 2019), the project is getting underway in regards to moving the locomotive and tender. [Thanks Mgoldman]

- Weyerhaeuser Timber Co. 2-6-6-2T No. 108, at Black Hills Central Railroad, is nearing completion. According to the railroad, "We had good month of progress on 108 in March. The low pressure pistons, crossheads, and valves are rebuilt and installed. Suspension and brake rigging are about 70 percent complete, journal boxes and wheel work is complete on the low pressure engine. The high pressure engine is 90 percent complete. Boiler work is about 70 percent complete. Air system is 95 percent complete. Steam fitting is 10 percent complete.” The railroad expects to be able to hydro and steam test before the end of the year. [Thanks Trains Magazine | http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... completion]

- Louisville & Nashville 4-6-2 #152 is continuing on with her 1472. Hopefully, it will not be too long before this old girl is up and running again.

- Silver Dollar City's 0-4-0T #14 entered service near the end of March. [Thanks mrwalsh85]

- Chesapeake & Ohio 2-8-4 #2716 is slated to be moved to the in-development Kentucky Steam Heritage Center at Ravenna, Ky. in July for restoration. The move will happen from July 26-July 28, and Clinchfield F7 #800 will have the honor of leading #2716. [Thanks Trains Magazine]

- Reading 4-8-4 #2102 appears to be progressing along smoothly. Photos shared on April 20th show some of the work done including a new rear support sheet, new oil lines, and new section in the front tube sheet. [That's the extent of my knowledge.]

I know that Age of Steam Roundhouse is continuing to work on their locomotives, Southern Pacific 4-6-0 #2248 is continuing to receive work, and the Everett Railroad has ideas for Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain 2-8-0 #38, but I don't have a clear idea on where they stand with their projects at this time. If anyone has more detailed information on any of these locomotives that they are safe to share, please feel more than welcome to do so.

What a difference thus far. What started as a list of 14 steam locomotives under restoration to operation has grown to include 56 locomotives (over 3× the original starting number). This is truly amazing, and it really brings a smile to my face to see so much steam moving towards operation again.

If there are any other steam locomotives starting (or still undergoing) an operational restoration that I have missed, please feel free to list which locomotive it is (and roughly where things stand, if you know). Likewise, if you know any additional details (that can be shared) for any of the locomotives already mentioned, or if I said something wrong, please feel free to inform us. We could always use more good news in regards to steam.

{Lastly, while it isn't currently being restored, U.S. Army / TVRM #610 was pushed into the shops around September last year for evaluation on the feasibility of possibly restoring her again. I guess we'll see what happens.}

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:11 pm 

Dunno if these meet the criteria, but SP 2248 has been undergoing repairs at the Grapevine Vintage Railroad (formerly Tarantula Train) in Texas. Their website says that she is due to return in early 2019. Anybody have more details?

And does anyone know how the work is going on ATSF 3751 in Los Angeles? It is down for its 15 year rebuild. Haven't heard any updates since last year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:44 am 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
o anderson wrote:
Denver and Rio Grande narrow gauge 4-6-0 #168 is proceeding steadily to operation at the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad shops in Antonito.

D&RG No. 168 moved under her own power this week, I believe for the first time since 1936:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVUtLmjJcac

(Video above by C. J. Vargas, posted by Stathi Pappas.)

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:00 am 

Since this got bumped, might as well update for Georgetown loop 40. Here it's a video of her 4th of July rollout. Since then remaining cosmetic work has been finished, several mechanical issues addressed. And the engine has been in fairly regular rotation with the 111 since late July. Even running a few extra double headers, and second section trains.

https://youtu.be/nRe4CMrNQ-g

https://youtu.be/tA70SngV5eI

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next