It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: L&A 503
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:26 pm 

Ron Travis wrote:
If the City Council were approached with respect and were asked to consider the ongoing cost of preserving the locomotive under shelter as an artifact; and if they were to reflect on whether this was really in the interests of the City; they might be interested in a direct sale to an organization that was dedicated to preserving such equipment and sharing the experience with the public.

This might be seen as serving a greater good. And if this were presented to their residents, I suspect that nobody would object because the idea is entirely reasonable and practical for everyone’s interests. Actually, I expect that the City Council is thinking along these very same lines right about now. That is why I say the time is right for a deal.

Balderdash.

It's the same people on the council today as then. You actually believe these people have changed their mindset? You can bet the pot-stirrers are ready, too.

I would bet that the 503 is about at #356 on their top-ten priority list of things that need to be funded in Port Arthur.

Of course, there is nothing stopping you from trying to reason with them yourself as you suggest others do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:43 pm 

Isn't this poor dead horse beaten into jello yet?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:20 pm 

Oh c'mon, after three threads and 761 posts we've barely scratched the surface of how we should save the ol' 503 from that nasty city.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:55 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Scranton Yard wrote:
co614 wrote:
I figured that TGB 4th. would have to stick his nose in sooner or later.

Did you enjoy it? After subjecting forum readers to your bromance all these years will you two please just get a room.

May I point out that I didn't name names.

I was referring to any pompous, tactless Donald-Trump-wannabe that publicly insults people in "high political" places (in this case, such as it may be) while delicate diplomatic negotiations are under way with the very people being insulted for what is perceived to be a better outcome for all concerned.

Go back and see how many people this applies to.

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am 

Lincoln Penn wrote:
Ron Travis wrote:
If the City Council were approached with respect and were asked to consider the ongoing cost of preserving the locomotive under shelter as an artifact; and if they were to reflect on whether this was really in the interests of the City; they might be interested in a direct sale to an organization that was dedicated to preserving such equipment and sharing the experience with the public.

This might be seen as serving a greater good. And if this were presented to their residents, I suspect that nobody would object because the idea is entirely reasonable and practical for everyone’s interests. Actually, I expect that the City Council is thinking along these very same lines right about now. That is why I say the time is right for a deal.

Balderdash.

It's the same people on the council today as then. You actually believe these people have changed their mindset? You can bet the pot-stirrers are ready, too.

It may be the same people on the council, but the key is to not take the approach that was taken last time. As I said, their reaction last time was predictable. Obviously, the Council believed they owned the locomotive then as they do now. They said then that they have always been the owner. Regardless of whatever they intended to do with the locomotive, it was a private matter regarding their property. A different approach might easily succeed at this time.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17