It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UP 4014 / 844 schedule released.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 pm 

Quote:

Union Pacific Steam Club Update No. 4 - Mar. 13, 2019

Here's the news you've been waiting for!
The commemorative tour schedule for the Big Boy No. 4014 and Living Legend No. 844 are now online at https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm.

The iconic steam locomotives will join together in a public display for the first time May 9 in Ogden, Utah, during Union Pacific's celebratory event marking the transcontinental railroad's 150th anniversary. The festivities include recreating the iconic photo taken May 10, 1869, when the last spike was tapped into place at Promontory Summit, creating America's first transcontinental railroad. Union Pacific no longer has tracks near Promontory Summit. They were removed to support the scrap metal projects during World War II.

No. 844 will leave Cheyenne, Wyoming, April 27. It will make several brief whistle-stops in communities along its route, arriving in Ogden on April 28. The Living Legend will be on display at Ogden Union Station through May 11.

No. 4014 will leave Cheyenne May 4 following a 9:30 a.m. MT christening ceremony at the historic Cheyenne Depot and arrive in Ogden for the May 9 celebratory event at Ogden Union Station. The Big Boy also will make several whistle-stops in communities along its route.

A comprehensive schedule for the April – May tour, including additional locations, display times and No. 844 and No. 4014 GPS location tracking information is available at http://upsteam.com. Due to the dynamic nature of these operations, running times and scheduled stops are subject to change.

The 150th anniversary celebration will continue throughout the year with No. 4014 visiting many states across the Union Pacific system. A tentative schedule with tour locations and dates will be published in the near future.

Experience the Union Pacific Rail Car

Folks who visit our Heritage Fleet during the upcoming Great Race to Ogden Tour will have a chance to "experience" railroading like they never have before.

The Experience the Union Pacific Rail Car is a brand new, multi-media walk-through exhibition providing a glimpse at the past while telling the story of modern-day railroading. Through sound, images and interactive technology, visitors will see how Union Pacific is building America in their communities and throughout the world.

After entering the converted baggage car, patrons will first learn about the investment, hard work and know-how that went into building the transcontinental railroad.

Moving forward along one wall they'll learn about the evolution of the locomotive, beginning with the world famous UP No. 119 and leading to the modern-day diesel powerhouses. On the opposite wall, rail fans will trace how fresh apples are delivered from California and Washington to New York, and understand every aspect of rail operations and innovation along the way.

Next, exciting interactive technology will show how Union Pacific is using lasers, cameras and other detection devices to accurately inspect moving rail cars and railroad track. Folks will be able to test their skills to see how they measure up as rail car inspectors.

Before leaving, exhibition-goers will be able to show us how they connect to the railroad using high-tech thermal reactive tiles. A final display celebrates the history of Union Pacific's Passenger Heritage Fleet through vintage photos.
The Experience the Union Pacific Rail Car will be included in the Heritage Fleet consist during upcoming tours, beginning with a special tour to Sacramento and Roseville, California; Sparks, Nevada; and Ogden, Utah, that kicks off April 19 at the California State Railroad Museum, 125 I St., in Sacramento.

Check up.com for the upcoming schedule and viewing hours.

That's all for now. Before we go, here's a Steam Club Safety Tip: Never assume tracks are abandoned or inactive – ALWAYS expect a train and assume tracks are active.
Thanks, and be safe!
Union Pacific Steam Club

Post subject: Re: UP 4014 / 844 schedule released.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:52 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
This just went off...........

Attachments:
Foam-meter.jpg
Foam-meter.jpg [ 66.08 KiB | Viewed 9256 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:05 pm 

You want foam? join the UP Steam facebook page. Those guys are worse than Trainorders!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:15 pm 

hamster wrote:
You want foam? join the UP Steam facebook page. Those guys are worse than Trainorders!

“Foamers” is an understatement when it comes to the Facebook page! At least half of the members there have been in full panic mode for the last few days because they were worried that the 4014 wouldn’t be done in time for the celebration. Whenever a big discussion goes on there I grab some popcorn and watch, ha!

I won’t be at the event but I’m looking forward to seeing how the 4014 does on her maiden voyage. I hope UP brings her to my area sometime so I won’t have to drive very far. HUGE round of applause and congratulations to the UP Steam Team; I’ve always admired their operations.

Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:26 am 

Revised signal foam meter for today's steam operator.

Attachments:
foamer+.JPG
foamer+.JPG [ 67.59 KiB | Viewed 9039 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:58 am 

Bobharbison,
Thank you for the post. That is very exciting news, and it should be a joyous occasion.
Sadly, your thread was infected with the usual nonsense from people who post here with great sanctimony. I really do not understand why railfans cannot accept good news as good news - rather, they go out of their way to diminish our happiness.
Thank you to Union Pacific for all the great things it does.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:19 am 

Great Western wrote:
Sadly, your thread was infected with the usual nonsense from people who post here with great sanctimony. I really do not understand why railfans cannot accept good news as good news - rather, they go out of their way to diminish our happiness.

I reread the thread, and I don't see the negativity of which you speak. You should brace yourself and read the thread on TrainOrders, multiple posters are acting as if UP just shot their dog.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:15 pm 

I like the Foam-o-Meter pictures. I think they are funny.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:48 pm 

hamster wrote:

Well, today I have finally had enough. Activity from the UP Steam Club feed was completely taking over my facebook. I Quit the "Club" to get my facebook life back. I tried to interact with some of the folks there to help with the technical discussions, but there was just too much ignorance to overcome. So, I am free! Free at last!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:19 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I refuse to sign up for it just to see ignorance in action.

Would someone care to repost samples of the alleged "ignorance" for our potential bemusement?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:27 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

Would someone care to repost samples of the alleged "ignorance" for our potential bemusement?

60% of the posts are along the lines of 'Why doesn't UP restore (Insert Retired Locomotive here)??' (my favorite was suggesting they restore the Cab-Forward in Sacramento)

35% of the others up until the schedule was release were people with no first-hand knowledge whatsover stating that 4014 won't be ready because..

and the remaining 5% is actually informative discussion/historic pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:45 pm 

Metsno1fan wrote:
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

60% of the posts are along the lines of 'Why doesn't UP restore (Insert Retired Locomotive here)??' (my favorite was suggesting they restore the Cab-Forward in Sacramento)

35% of the others up until the schedule was release were people with no first-hand knowledge whatsover stating that 4014 won't be ready because..

and the remaining 5% is actually informative discussion/historic pictures.

Don't forget the token "my grandfather worked for UP and..." as well as the "Will UP bring 4014 to [location that's way out of the UP network] after the golden spike ceremony?" posts!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:53 pm 

Zak Lybrand wrote:
Don't forget the token "my grandfather worked for UP and..." as well as the "Will UP bring 4014 to [location that's way out of the UP network] after the golden spike ceremony?" posts!
What do you mean token?

When #1223 and #7002 were still in service, I was always ammused to regularly hear from the people who walk up before train time and tell me that their grandfather ran that exact engine every day for fifty years!!

And unsually on the 20th Century Limited to boot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:11 pm 

And Lord/Heaven/Allah/The Fates/whatever help you if you DARE to point out ironclad facts to these people, like the fact that the locomotive (or trolley or whatever) was retired before your grandfather was born:

"ARE YOU CALLING MY GRANDDADDY/FATHER A LIAR?!?!?!?!?"

Occasionally you're lucky enough to get someone who understands that oral histories and memories are subject to misunderstandings or fabrications. But not often enough.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:00 pm 

Since the thread has been hijacked; I was manning the raffle/fund raiser table for a model train club at the B&O museum during a Holiday event when an older lady approached and started to talk about how her father had been a B&O passenger train engineer. I'm not a docent, or even associated with the museum, but I'm there and I must look somewhat official.

Much to my amazement, she pulls out a photo of herself, perhaps 4 years old, all dressed up, sitting on the front of a locomotive with proud Dad in A#1 Engineer outfit standing beside her. Some important day for them. I did a double take when I realized the locomotive was B&O 5300, the President Washington. I asked if she had yet visited the North Car shop, another building in the museum. The answer was no. I recommended she find her way out there, as she would find that very locomotive. Sort of a cool moment.

Bob